Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP Mikey Boo

Posted by Ras_Adam 
RIP Mikey Boo
November 29, 2021 12:22AM
Robbie Lyn wrote:
RIP Mikey'Boo Richards.
One of the greatest session reggae drummers of all time dating back to the 1970's.
He played on some of the greatest hits like Breakfast in Bed (Lorna Bennett), Silhouettes ( Dennis Brown, Life is just for living ( Ernie Smith and countless others for Beres Hammond, Abyssinians,Ken Boothe.
He was an original member of In Crowd and 809 bands .
Unsung legend.
RIP Boo.
Re: RIP Mikey Boo
November 29, 2021 02:26PM
Clive Hunt wrote:
R.I.P Mikey Boo....you were like a brother to me, the musical master that convinced that I could and should start a career has a Producer, by giving me the money to do so. The complete production cost from the song to the 1st one thousand copies pressed, he even told ne not to hire him nor the other greats that I worked everyday in the studios, just to proved to myself that I could do it on my own, and with any group of players. Hence MILK & HONEY....Thank You Sir, you were always one of my musical heroes.

Gussie Clarke wrote:
Rest in power, you were a quiet & a good soul

Jc Lodge wrote:
So sorry to hear that Mikey has passed. I remember him fondly from Joe Gibbs days. He was highly rated & often had a gentle smile. A warm, quiet guy. I can still hear ET in my head, when setting up for a studio session, calling out for him to 'Lick de tom-tom Mikey! Lick de tom-tom! Our condolences to his family & loved ones.

Derrick A Barnett wrote:
RIP MIKEY BOO

Sly Dunbar wrote:
So sad, Mikey Boo Richards, one of the best drummers in the world, playing in dance bands & in the recording studios has died. He was so creative, he created his own style of playing reggae. He had a special touch and it was always a great feeling to sit & hear him play. I have learnt so much from him. Gone too soon. He was an amazing drummer. Only one Mikey Boo. Long live Mikey Boo his style will be there forever. His swing on the hi-hat was off the chain!!

Ranking Joe wrote:
Wow!!!!!! Sad to hear dat Micky Boo gone Jah bless him soul RIP Micky Boo and his family Great Drummer ur works will live on

Dean Ivanhoe Fraser wrote:
R.I.P MIKEY "BOO"RICHARDS
JOB WELL DONE

Courtney Panton wrote:
Wow. So sorry to hear this. One of the best. R. I. P top drummer you did great works

Glen Washington wrote:
REST IN PEACE Great One One of my Inspiration from my years as a drummer Much Condolences to his Family

Fabrizio Laganà wrote:·
Today is another sad day because the historical drummer of reggae music & industry too like Michael "Boo" Richards is passed away in the night.
I was very lucky when I met the band of Jimmy Cliff "The Oneness" in Rome July 1982, the guitarist Earl "Chinna" Smith and other members of the band for a very brief meeting with all.
Jamaican drummer and session musician, veteran of all generations since the 60's with participations in countless reggae bands, to name a few: The Mighty Upsetter, The Heptones, The Meditations, The Blues Busters, Now Generation, 809, Oneness, T.I.M.E.
Since he was a child, he followed in the footsteps of his father, who was a drummer (Leonard 'Alejandro' Richards). He was the one who took him with “Lloyd Knibbs” to receive classes. One of his friends, Ernie Ranglin, grew up around musicians. His interest in music was based on keyboards, not drums, but it was almost a sin not to be a drummer like his father. His first band was "The Mighty Diamonds" and there he meets "The Wailers" where he began to record for them, as a curious fact we find that he never traveled with Bob Marley, his relationship was only in the studio, he leaves The Wailers and goes on tour With Jimmy Cliff doing a long tour and recordings, the first "Third World" album is said to have been recorded by Boo but never came out. Paradoxically, Boo says that he regrets not having taken classes with his father since he had a very Latin and surprising way of playing the drums, recognizing that his greatest influence on music is the also drummer, "Billy Cobham" whom he met in a show in Jamaica and he was invited to the stage fact that marked his musical career, and remembers as one of the most important events in his life. Mikey Boo has his own way when playing his instrument, he is not only a drummer of reggae music, he was a drummer who adapts all the percussion in his compositions.
His favorite Jamaican drummers; Sly, Desi Jones, Carlton Barrett, and Calvin McKenzie.
This is another great loss after the last drummer passed away on 2019 like brother Nelson Miller.
My very deep condolences to his family & friends around the planet.
Never forgotten.
P.S. Mickey Boo Richards on the pictures during Jimmy Cliff concert July 1982 Rome Italy.
April 23 1947 - November 29 2021
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login