Any word on Reggae on the River ??

Posted by Ras Matches 
Any word on Reggae on the River ??
April 12, 2021 03:53PM
I know they were granted a 5 year permit back in 2018

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Any word on Reggae on the River ??
April 13, 2021 04:10PM
Theres a fundraiser for the Mattel Community Center this weekend. Maybe we will get some good new during it.

Sky Talk It Productions presents A Livestream Fundraiser Event for Mateel Community Center Friday, April 16th 7pm-12am. DJ's from throughout the region will perform socially-distanced sets live from the Mateel stage. To stream tune in to: ⠀
Twitch.Tv/MateelCommunityCenter ⠀
Live stream will also feature Robin's Light Show Experience with visuals by Cosmic Goo & video by Digital Activism Productions. ⠀
Donate to the Mateel by visiting mateel.org/how-to-donate-to-the-Mateel or direct to paypal.me/mateelforever
April 25, 2021 12:03AM
There is a countdown clock on their website, 98 days and counting as of today. That puts it on Jul 31. but a lot can happen between now and then.
May 17, 2021 03:45PM
It looks like there is another festival (EDM) that same weekend at Cooks. I highly doubt there will be two festivals directly next to one another. Looks like Reggae might be cancelled again.

[starvibescampout.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2021 03:46PM by westafari.
May 19, 2021 10:53PM
Damn, end of an era.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 20, 2021 12:48PM
I have a feeling there will be a weekend show or two, maybe not at the Reggae site.....

Love that reggae!
May 20, 2021 05:36PM
Seems silly that they can pull off a EDM festy at the site, but not one that has been held there for years... and has a huge following.
May 20, 2021 08:35PM
Dubguy
Seems silly that they can pull off a EDM festy at the site, but not one that has been held there for years... and has a huge following.

whats the reggae scene like in nor cal ? seems the whole roots scene is 'dead'.. not like what it was in the early 2000s.
most the 'reggae' i hear from so-called roots artists have departed far from the classic one drop riddim style.
protoje still uses one drop from time to time, but noticed most of his riddims and riddims used by his counterparts are all somewhat rnb-ish if not pop-ish.
dancehall is just afrobeat.. or is afrobeat dancehall ?

or maybe the youth have it right.. roots music is the grandparents music.. i mean i do have 6 grand children.. so it goes, i suppose.
May 20, 2021 11:14PM
Reggae in California is now almost non-existent, at least roots reggae has diminished. Two major reggae festivals are gone , CaliRoots hosts roots performers, but it is not a reggae festival. One Love One Heart in Sacramento, I still have hope for. Santa Cruz still brings the roots shows, but not festivals. I am sure there will be a few weekend shows as Nomo suggested, but it’s just not the same anymore.

It’s the end of an era, right in front of us.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 24, 2021 11:49PM
I will submit that the 2 major festivals didn't go away due to lack of attendance,,, but yeah, not like it used to be.

Triple Tree did have The Commons in Chico overflowing capacity recently, so there's interest here!
June 02, 2021 02:37AM
Here is the problem:

1) Not too many people are down to throw a ton of money to have a festival and get JA artist to come to NorCal
2) Some of those artist can’t get a visa at the last minute or flake at the last minute
3) Not too many people have a good list of artist that they can depend on
4) Reggae heads and stoners are inconsistent when it comes to festivals. They are not dependable.
5) Cali reggae has taken over and those bands play 2-3 times in NorCal.
6) The JA bands charge too much compared to Cali reggae bands

All these factors lead to the demise of ROTR.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 02:53AM by westafari.
June 03, 2021 12:37AM
Don Carlos coming to Moes Alley in Santa Cruz in August

Giving thanks!
June 07, 2021 06:30AM
i ll go. i need to see reggae shows. miss it so much. thanks
June 07, 2021 09:07PM
I saw the posting for Don Carlos and Moes, but now I don’t see any evidence of that show happening. It’s not on the Moes calendar and it got erased from Moes Facebook?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login