RIP Frederick "Toots" Hibbert
September 12, 2020 06:58AM
Sad news, this mornin... Toots Hibbert, RIP. Legend.

Toots Observer

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Legendary reggae singer Frederick "Toots" Hibbert died in the University Hospital of the West Indies in St Andrew on Friday evening. He was 78.
The singer had been admitted at the hospital last week Monday and was in a medically induced coma.

Claude Mills, Hibbert's publicist, confirmed the singer's passing.

"Jamaica has lost a great cultural icon. The soul of an age has died," he told Observer Online a short while ago.

"The family is asking for privacy at this time as they are going through a very difficult period. Toots was the patriarch of the family. He was everything to his family. I spoke to his daughter, Jenieve Bailey, who confirmed that her father had indeed passed this evening," he continued.

Hibbert was one of the 10 finalists in the recently concluded Jamaica Festival Song Competition — a contest he won three times.

He recently released his latest album, Got To Be Tough, on August 28.

Formed in the 1960s, his band Toots and the Maytals helped popularise reggae music. The group's 1968 single Do The Reggay was the first song to use the word “reggae” naming the genre and introducing it to a global audience.

The group's popular songs include Monkey Man, Sweet And Dandy, Bam Bam, and Pomps And Pride.

In 2005, the group won the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album with True Love. Seven years later, he was awarded an Order of Distinction for his contribution to Jamaica's music.

In December 2019, he received a Jamaica Observer Entertainment Award for his efforts in taking reggae global.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2020 07:24AM by O Mon.
Re: RIP Frederick "Toots" Hibbert
September 12, 2020 11:44AM
Awwww...crap. This has been a terrible week.

Love that reggae!
September 12, 2020 01:23PM
terrible news he was so physically strong for his age i was really praying he'd beat the covid.
so fortunate to see him live many times. an icon in the genre. prayers to his family
God Bless you Toots!
a
September 12, 2020 02:10PM
So sad. He always had a lively show full of energy and love

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
September 12, 2020 08:02PM
LEGEND!

This is tough.

RIP
September 12, 2020 09:06PM
Got to be Tough!
Is the name of the album he dropped a day before he became ill. Classic Toots working hard and giving us his all until the end. He is a true inspiration in so many ways. I will play his songs as long as I live.
September 13, 2020 07:18PM
Great documentary on Toots Hibbert produced by BBC News just several months ago, on YouTube titled: “Toots Hibbert on the birth of reggae”

He was not only a great performer, he was a wonderful and decent caring person.

RIP Toots
September 13, 2020 07:52PM
I didn't know Toots on any kind of personal level, but for some reason this one hits really hard. Walk Good
September 13, 2020 09:24PM
Rest in Power

September 14, 2020 12:08AM
Chuck Foster just did a nice 3 hour tribute to Toots
click on Reggae Central for Sept 13th to listen
show will be up for 2 weeks
[www.kpfk.org]
September 14, 2020 12:37AM
September 15, 2020 05:00PM
David 'Ram Jam' Rodigan wrote:
Full tribute to the Reggae icon Toots Hibbert this Sunday 20th Sept at 1pm on the BBC 1Xtra⁩ and ⁦BBC Sounds.⁩ Yup... 54-46 that was his prison number when he was sent to jail for being in possession of ganja back in 1967... but his music will live forever.
September 16, 2020 04:42PM
Bless! Here's the link to my two hour Toots tribute I did last Sunday on KSQD, Santa Cruz (90.7FM). It features some of the SNWMF 2011 live show!

https://soundcloud.com/daddyspleece/toots-hibbert-tribute-on-up-like-7-9-13-20

smoking smiley

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound
September 20, 2020 04:42AM
September 20, 2020 04:45AM
September 20, 2020 04:48AM
September 20, 2020 04:53AM
September 22, 2020 01:30AM
That's a great tribute video RasKabir!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login