Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SLIMS

Posted by Ras_Adam 
SLIMS
March 21, 2020 01:44PM
Re: SLIMS
March 23, 2020 01:49PM
Sucks to hear this. I had some good show experiences at Slims, especially as it was one of the only places in the bay area to catch an all ages show when I was in high school.
March 23, 2020 03:41PM
The last Burning Spear show I saw there was straight up fire. The sound was always great, though the placed would get packed.

We saw may great performers there over the years...and will miss this place.
March 24, 2020 02:07AM
Ya that sucks.

Love that reggae!
March 24, 2020 04:34AM
I have great memories of Slim's. I too was at that Burning Spear show. At that time it was a 4-5 hr drive from the hills of So Hum.......The first time I ever saw Thomas Mapfumo was there. Another time we had a benefit for Leonard Peltier at Slims with Buffy Ste Marie, John Trudell, Pura Fe and others. Oh San Francisco...................
March 24, 2020 03:09PM
The first thing I thought of when I heard was that Burning Spear show. Fire. Part of the ever changing landscape of SF.
March 24, 2020 05:26PM
Yup, I remember those Burning Spear shows as well! Also Alpha Blondy, Michael Rose, etc...
March 24, 2020 11:22PM
I have always loved that Slim's is/was owned by Boz Scaggs...
the first performer I ever saw stoned...
the Silk Degrees Tour....
in 1978 at Summerfest in Milwaukee, WI.

My best friend and I got "turned on" to some "Hawaiian" by a kind fellow who just came back from the islands. What a way to flip a switch. And so it began. Irie.
March 25, 2020 06:50PM
Anthony B, Jah Mason, Chrisinti, Warrior King, Gentleman, all epic shows!!
March 25, 2020 11:02PM
Lots of great shows there but my favorite has to be, hands down, Lucky Dube and 12 other singers, players of instruments and dancers on that small stage.
March 26, 2020 05:34AM
How did I miss Jah Mason? I've been wanting to see him live my whole life...
March 26, 2020 08:03PM
Reggabe
How did I miss Jah Mason? I've been wanting to see him live my whole life...

Yeah I really loved slims, not sure how I would have missed that one as well? The only time I saw him was around 2000 at an Ethiopian cultural center in SF. Carpet on the floors and everything! It was pure fire, that is for sure. Anyone else see that show?
March 28, 2020 01:36AM
Jah Mason was I believe in 2003.
March 28, 2020 09:17PM
My first ever concert in the Bay Area was at Slim’s the day I arrived in early 1999. I drove up from AZ with a friend that was helping me move. We drove 12 hours, parked the truck in Alameda, then headed straight to Slim’s to see Dick Dale. The place was rammed and the show was a scorcher. A few other memorable shows were Anthony B, Bushman, Norris Man, Earl Zero, Morgan Heritage and Qshan Dia. Always a bummer to see great venues close their doors.
March 29, 2020 03:59PM
It's like we were all experiencing the "golden age" of reggae music....................
March 29, 2020 09:46PM
Oh yeah Norris Man was dope. My wife just reminded me she was 5 months pregnant in 2005 we went to see Anthony B. As we went in the show my wife disappeared, we were wondering what happened to her. We went back to the entrance and she had been stopped by security as they accused her of trying to sneak in alcohol. As we showed up she was saying nope that's all me and showed her big belly. We all had a laugh.
March 30, 2020 12:03AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login