October 30, 2019 05:17PM
The Daily Texan news

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Rebelution comments on genre
October 31, 2019 07:42PM
He is correct they are not reggae
November 01, 2019 04:35AM
I think he is saying that to not scare away the teens who associate reggae with spirituality, so they can keep making him money.

They won't leave a legendary mark on Reggae music but at least they are having fun partying.

Giving thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 05:01AM by AztecRasta.
November 01, 2019 07:29PM
That's a ridiculous take. I think he's saying they not reggae music because...they're not reggae music.

I've never heard anyone, let alone a teen, say they don't listen to reggae music because they find it too religious.

respect
November 01, 2019 07:47PM
Actually I've known several people that don't listen to reggae due to the religious aspect...
November 01, 2019 08:38PM
wait a minute?! reggae is religious?! i thought it was just about smoking pot and bob marley man....smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
November 02, 2019 01:37AM
Reggabe
Actually I've known several people that don't listen to reggae due to the religious aspect...

I myself ,in my early youth had avoided certain types of music which did not match my own religious convictions and that included reggae.
I have since found a way to listen to reggae and still apply my own beliefs to the lyrics. Many Holy books are so similar.
The people who deliberately avoid reggae music I would assume Are religious and that’s the reason they might not want to listen.

Edit: also my takeaway from the Rebelution article are in his last question and answer:

DT: Reggae has enjoyed quite a bit of growth the last five years. Do you feel like Rebelution is at all responsible for any of that?

ER: I do. It’s tough because I don’t know how to categorize our music. I feel a little weird saying that we are reggae music because we mix in a lot of different genres. So I like to say that we’re “reggae-inspired.” If people want to say reggae, then great. I’m honored because I love reggae so much. I do think we are a big part of that (growth) though. Because when a lot of people hear “Rebelution,” they’re like, “Oh, I like reggae,” and then maybe they see the bands we take on tour and look up some of the people that have influenced us. I think Rebelution is a great gateway band to the genre of reggae music, even though I don’t consider our band to be strictly reggae.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 01:44AM by Ras Matches.
November 02, 2019 05:31PM
To me it's all about spirituality, regardless of ones' religious (or not) beliefs...
November 04, 2019 05:23PM
Not all reggae is religious based.
November 05, 2019 03:56AM
To me, true reggae is rooted in spirituality...
November 05, 2019 05:39AM

Giving thanks!
November 05, 2019 11:53PM
Reggabe
To me it's all about spirituality, regardless of ones' religious (or not) beliefs...

True that.
November 06, 2019 04:36PM
To me, reggae without spirituality is hollow. Like most other genres of music.
November 06, 2019 07:19PM
Are they not Inka Inka with electronic Hip Hop = new Cali Reggae style is all - so all good to me
& still good Musicians & are way better than when I first saw them on the roof of their bus at Angels Camp many years ago camping behind the Main stage
November 06, 2019 08:02PM
bob andy wrote some of the greatest reality tunes in reggae; joe higgs is toppa top, just an all-time favorite of mine and he rarely mentions "jah".
it would be ridiculous to call the music of these artists "shallow".

sometimes i think the ones constantly chanting/singing about jah are probably in a good many instances the most hypocritical of reggae artists.

i'd rather listen to roots reality reggae than spirituality reggae any day.
but to each their own...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 07, 2019 05:43AM
One can be spiritual without ever mentioning "God", "Jah", "Jesus", etc...

There's a difference between religion and spirituality...
November 07, 2019 04:13PM
yeah, i get that reggabe.

so how about an example of a very spiritual tune you like!
i bet i like it too.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
November 07, 2019 04:17PM
one of my favorite works that i think of as very spiritual is yahadanai's "one atonement".

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
November 08, 2019 01:29AM
Reggabe
To me, true reggae is rooted in spirituality...

For me , Roots reggae is about history and ancient texts..that’s the part I enjoy the most, the knowledge and constant reminder of who I am. I also enjoy spiritual music.

Edit: I really enjoy classical Indian ragas played at the proper time of day. I have a lot of classical Indian vinyl

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 06:12AM by Ras Matches.
November 10, 2019 05:45PM
mosquito killer
yeah, i get that reggabe.

so how about an example of a very spiritual tune you like!
i bet i like it too.

m.

Elements by Black Uhuru was the first to come to mind. Nature loving spirituality.
November 16, 2019 01:37PM
pretty much every song on this compilation...
especially this one..

November 16, 2019 02:16PM
another boomshot... gets me everytime..

November 16, 2019 02:24PM
shot after shot...!!

November 16, 2019 02:29PM
this whole album is killer..

November 19, 2019 05:47AM
Nice to see we're still over analyzing and micro-managing every syllable of every word on this forum lol. Shall we just go ahead and say Islam=Spirituality and Christianity=Religion? Or is that just popular opinion in California?

Here's one of my favorite SPIRITUAL tunes....

November 19, 2019 05:53AM
@Africa Al... Inka Inka before their time, right! haha

But this one was pretty special....

November 26, 2019 02:10AM
Stevo
Nice to see we're still over analyzing and micro-managing every syllable of every word on this forum lol. Shall we just go ahead and say Islam=Spirituality and Christianity=Religion? Or is that just popular opinion in California?

Here's one of my favorite SPIRITUAL tunes....

Nice stereotypes Stevo. To me, religious and spiritual can be both the same and different. Religious spirituality and non-religious spirituality, and both.

Islam is a religion, as is Christianity, and both have definitive religious and spiritual elements, and often both together, as with all "religion", or spiritual paths.

Peace
November 26, 2019 02:09PM
To me one of the great misappropriations in our world is relegating spirituality to religion. For me, spirituality is a meeting of man. Reggae is one of the most uplifting of the musical styles, the positivity and the pulse of life bring me to a place where i can appreciate my fellow man in a way i usually don't, especially with other genre's of music.

Ras Michael leading the crowd at the small stage, singing Rasta Chant at the end of his show, everyone moving close to the stage. Spiritual. Jah9 leading the crowd at the One Love fest doing Yoga Dub on sunday morning...spiritual. A Midnite crowd at the Independent, where after three hours the show ended, but no one wanted to leave. A tight spiritual bond.

Reggae gets me there.

Love that reggae!
November 26, 2019 03:54PM
November 26, 2019 04:03PM
Religion is man made. Spirituality just exists..........
December 02, 2019 10:03PM
Just fyi... Every THING is man made...

think of the clouds.. billions of raindrops... raining into a vast ocean.. these can only be separate things in the mind of man.. in REALity all things are One.. there is no separation that isn't brought by man.

As to this band.. what he said was perfect.. for many people bands like Rebelution are gateway bands that get them into reggae music. It is obvious they are reggae inspired just by listening to them. Only their fans will probably argue they are "real reggae"... like that means anything.
December 03, 2019 12:40AM
I can’t help but see similarities with a band that was big in the 90’s...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login