October 30, 2019 05:17PM
The Daily Texan news

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Rebelution comments on genre
October 31, 2019 07:42PM
He is correct they are not reggae
November 01, 2019 04:35AM
I think he is saying that to not scare away the teens who associate reggae with religion so they can keep making him money.

They won't leave a legendary mark on Reggae music but at least they are having fun partying.

Giving thanks!
November 01, 2019 07:29PM
That's a ridiculous take. I think he's saying they not reggae music because...they're not reggae music.

I've never heard anyone, let alone a teen, say they don't listen to reggae music because they find it too religious.

respect
November 01, 2019 07:47PM
Actually I've known several people that don't listen to reggae due to the religious aspect...
November 01, 2019 08:38PM
wait a minute?! reggae is religious?! i thought it was just about smoking pot and bob marley man....smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
November 02, 2019 01:37AM
Reggabe
Actually I've known several people that don't listen to reggae due to the religious aspect...

I myself ,in my early youth had avoided certain types of music which did not match my own religious convictions and that included reggae.
I have since found a way to listen to reggae and still apply my own beliefs to the lyrics. Many Holy books are so similar.
The people who deliberately avoid reggae music I would assume Are religious and that’s the reason they might not want to listen.

Edit: also my takeaway from the Rebelution article are in his last question and answer:

DT: Reggae has enjoyed quite a bit of growth the last five years. Do you feel like Rebelution is at all responsible for any of that?

ER: I do. It’s tough because I don’t know how to categorize our music. I feel a little weird saying that we are reggae music because we mix in a lot of different genres. So I like to say that we’re “reggae-inspired.” If people want to say reggae, then great. I’m honored because I love reggae so much. I do think we are a big part of that (growth) though. Because when a lot of people hear “Rebelution,” they’re like, “Oh, I like reggae,” and then maybe they see the bands we take on tour and look up some of the people that have influenced us. I think Rebelution is a great gateway band to the genre of reggae music, even though I don’t consider our band to be strictly reggae.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2019 01:44AM by Ras Matches.
November 02, 2019 05:31PM
To me it's all about spirituality, regardless of ones' religious (or not) beliefs...
November 04, 2019 05:23PM
Not all reggae is religious based.
November 05, 2019 03:56AM
To me, true reggae is rooted in spirituality...
November 05, 2019 05:39AM

Giving thanks!
November 05, 2019 11:53PM
Reggabe
To me it's all about spirituality, regardless of ones' religious (or not) beliefs...

True that.
November 06, 2019 04:36PM
To me, reggae without spirituality is hollow. Like most other genres of music.
November 06, 2019 07:19PM
Are they not Inka Inka with electronic Hip Hop = new Cali Reggae style is all - so all good to me
& still good Musicians & are way better than when I first saw them on the roof of their bus at Angels Camp many years ago camping behind the Main stage
November 06, 2019 08:02PM
bob andy wrote some of the greatest reality tunes in reggae; joe higgs is toppa top, just an all-time favorite of mine and he rarely mentions "jah".
it would be ridiculous to call the music of these artists "shallow".

sometimes i think the ones constantly chanting/singing about jah are probably in a good many instances the most hypocritical of reggae artists.

i'd rather listen to roots reality reggae than spirituality reggae any day.
but to each their own...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 07, 2019 05:43AM
One can be spiritual without ever mentioning "God", "Jah", "Jesus", etc...

There's a difference between religion and spirituality...
November 07, 2019 04:13PM
yeah, i get that reggabe.

so how about an example of a very spiritual tune you like!
i bet i like it too.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
November 07, 2019 04:17PM
one of my favorite works that i think of as very spiritual is yahadanai's "one atonement".

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
November 08, 2019 01:29AM
Reggabe
To me, true reggae is rooted in spirituality...

For me , Roots reggae is about history and ancient texts..that’s the part I enjoy the most, the knowledge and constant reminder of who I am. I also enjoy spiritual music.

Edit: I really enjoy classical Indian ragas played at the proper time of day. I have a lot of classical Indian vinyl

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 06:12AM by Ras Matches.
November 10, 2019 05:45PM
mosquito killer
yeah, i get that reggabe.

so how about an example of a very spiritual tune you like!
i bet i like it too.

m.

Elements by Black Uhuru was the first to come to mind. Nature loving spirituality.
November 16, 2019 01:37PM
pretty much every song on this compilation...
especially this one..

November 16, 2019 02:16PM
another boomshot... gets me everytime..

November 16, 2019 02:24PM
shot after shot...!!

November 16, 2019 02:29PM
this whole album is killer..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login