Indubious
Rocker T and The Fyah Squad
Dubtronic Kru
The Gladiators
Alcyon Massive
Boom Roots Collective.
The Lambsbread

Aug 2 and 3rd...

Think I am gonna roll to this... never seen Spragga... he is on my artist bucket list... great area if you have never been... Sounds like some of the folks from Humboldt are helping put this one on.. for the sake of the music I hope it is most successful
Re: Chillin on the Illinois
July 11, 2019 01:48PM
give thanks
July 11, 2019 03:59PM
Looks promising for sure

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
July 11, 2019 11:57PM
add Droop Lion to the bill... think this is gonna be a nice surprise
July 12, 2019 01:03AM
Yo Ninja, where is the link? And not facebook please.
July 12, 2019 04:13AM
to be honest I have no idea. I only see it on Facebook.. doesn't shock me though cause is seems like this was put together based off the cancellation of ROTR but it is starting to pop up all over Facebook. Including the ticket link.. I just have no "digital skills"... Bun and Cheese may have an idea.... or someone else might be able to get it to you.
July 12, 2019 04:41AM
Chillin' on the Illinois (click on the pic)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2019 04:51AM by Ras Danny.
July 12, 2019 04:42AM
and here's a website link

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
July 12, 2019 03:08PM
Give thanks!!
July 12, 2019 09:50PM
thanks Ras D
July 17, 2019 07:40PM
just saw on the FB page for this event they added Sizzla to headline
July 18, 2019 07:58PM
SO according to those that know.. Sizzla will in fact be headlining on Friday August 2nd... should be dope..
July 18, 2019 09:14PM
Seriously??? I think I'm going to make the trek then.
July 19, 2019 12:41AM
So I just saw the pretty looking flyer with nice lineup. Looks sweet and a big lineup for such short notice. I hope it turns out great, and that a high percentage of the artists are there. I spoke to the booking agent for one of them just now (as its something I'd really love to book myself) and he says that they are not going to be there........ so hoping for the preservation n sake of reggae music n all involved... that this is done properly, and is successful!
July 19, 2019 12:56AM
Haile Conscious
So I just saw the pretty looking flyer with nice lineup. Looks sweet and a big lineup for such short notice. I hope it turns out great, and that a high percentage of the artists are there. I spoke to the booking agent for one of them just now (as its something I'd really love to book myself) and he says that they are not going to be there........ so hoping for the preservation n sake of reggae music n all involved... that this is done properly, and is successful!

Oh please tell us who. Or some initials or something. Pleeeeease?
July 19, 2019 01:14PM
yeah. That would be interesting to know. I kind of assumed that a lot of the people from ROTR who work "behind the scenes" are assisting and that much of the leg work for this show was done for ROTR. When it got cancelled they just tool that work to another spot and that is the only reason it was pulled off so quick

As to an artist who is advertised that knows he/she is not going to be there a couple weeks in advance.. seems like they might want to speak up so their fans don't pay for tickets, drive up/down only to have to hear about a no show.. just my 2 cents
July 19, 2019 10:46PM
Ninja
As to an artist who is advertised that knows he/she is not going to be there a couple weeks in advance.. seems like they might want to speak up so their fans don't pay for tickets, drive up/down only to have to hear about a no show.. just my 2 cents

Now there's a novel idea! Sadly, most foundation artists are clueless when it comes to internet promotion and updates, etc.
July 21, 2019 04:57PM
Kabaka reposted flyer with Sizzla on it. Thats promising. Also Toots + Gladiators/Droop Lion are playing at Portland Aug 2. Hopefully all things work out.
July 22, 2019 02:06PM
I get that older artists might not know the in's and out's of social media. In the case mentioned above a booking agent is made aware of a "false advertisement" and isn't going to get the word out? as one of my good friends likes to say "Frankly, that sounds made up".
July 22, 2019 05:11PM
She must have been talking about The Gladiators, I see they aren't on the newest version of the flyer.
July 22, 2019 06:34PM
yeah.. noticed no Gladiators w Droop Lion.. that is too bad... Droop is one of my favorite vocalists.
July 23, 2019 08:58PM
Ninja
yeah. That would be interesting to know. I kind of assumed that a lot of the people from ROTR who work "behind the scenes" are assisting and that much of the leg work for this show was done for ROTR. When it got cancelled they just tool that work to another spot and that is the only reason it was pulled off so quick

not really, its more like people trying to take advantage of no rotr... people chilling on the illinois are only taking away from the mateel and their event that weekend... pirate festival
July 24, 2019 03:20PM
I would say that is an accurate description.. if say ROTR was a large pirate vessel and it was sinking... the Captain of the now High Times festival was Jr Gong... along comes another ship attempting to rescue the pirates from the ocean. Naturally the Captain goes down with the ship so he is not on the new Pirate vessel.. or as Chekov says "wessel"... that was for you Bun...

Basically you are saying that some people were lying in wait to take advantage of the failure of ROTR. From what I understand ROTR kind of screwed the Mateel and there are a lot of people from the Mateel Community who are helping to put this festival on. Artists who were going to be denied a pay check are now getting one and a lot of the community stores and vendors are going to get an economic boost to their area.

In reggae and in life in general I suppose what never fails to amaze me is how we will always find a negative angle to look at things. To take something that has made a positive out of a negative and turn it back into a negative. Humans are strange creatures indeed.

PS.. I highly doubt people were going to drive 9 hours to see Kabaka and or Toots by their selves. It isn't a knock on them but more of a reality. I have been to several shows at the Mateel and they can only get a few hundred people in that place MAXED out. They will have plenty of people from the community and the surrounding communities to make their events quite successful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2019 03:24PM by Ninja.
July 24, 2019 05:42PM
maybe YOU weren't going to drive 9 hours to see Kabaka or Toots by themselves, but plenty of folks would have... that location is very special to A LOT of people.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 24, 2019 06:17PM
Would really love to see sizzla perform in Southern Oregon next weekend, and would cancel my trip to Sonoma if the info was a little more convincing. Seems dodgy
July 24, 2019 06:26PM
go on instagram and ask him if he is going to be there... should be less dodgy.. and Tahoe.. I saw my first reggae show many moons ago at the Mateel.. Rod and the I Deals opening for Eek a Mouse.. I highly doubt anyone that thought of going to the Mateel because it holds a special place for them would cut bait, not support them and decide to go to another show. People who are going to go to the Mateel are still going to go.
July 24, 2019 06:46PM
Sorry for my slow response, haven't been on my computer for some days now. Yes it was Droop Lion that I was referring to, glad to see they have fixed it. He's an artist I rate highly, real deal! From what I been told, hopefully they will be touring early next year.
July 24, 2019 10:46PM
Ninja
go on instagram and ask him if he is going to be there... should be less dodgy.. and Tahoe.. I saw my first reggae show many moons ago at the Mateel.. Rod and the I Deals opening for Eek a Mouse.. I highly doubt anyone that thought of going to the Mateel because it holds a special place for them would cut bait, not support them and decide to go to another show. People who are going to go to the Mateel are still going to go.

I think you were responding to HG1 not me
July 24, 2019 10:58PM
Ninja
I would say that is an accurate description.. if say ROTR was a large pirate vessel and it was sinking... the Captain of the now High Times festival was Jr Gong... along comes another ship attempting to rescue the pirates from the ocean. Naturally the Captain goes down with the ship so he is not on the new Pirate vessel.. or as Chekov says "wessel"... that was for you Bun...

Basically you are saying that some people were lying in wait to take advantage of the failure of ROTR. From what I understand ROTR kind of screwed the Mateel and there are a lot of people from the Mateel Community who are helping to put this festival on. Artists who were going to be denied a pay check are now getting one and a lot of the community stores and vendors are going to get an economic boost to their area.

In reggae and in life in general I suppose what never fails to amaze me is how we will always find a negative angle to look at things. To take something that has made a positive out of a negative and turn it back into a negative. Humans are strange creatures indeed.

PS.. I highly doubt people were going to drive 9 hours to see Kabaka and or Toots by their selves. It isn't a knock on them but more of a reality. I have been to several shows at the Mateel and they can only get a few hundred people in that place MAXED out. They will have plenty of people from the community and the surrounding communities to make their events quite successful

regarding the first paragraph: no clue what damian has to do with it other than being booked to play since he divested in high times almost a year ago

regarding the second paragraph: yes to the first sentence, absolutely not to the second

cant relate to the next part since it has been great seeing a negative turned into a positive by the folks at the mateel and the community supporting it
July 24, 2019 11:30PM
I was referring to French's Camp and the ROTR site, being a very special place to thousand's upon thousands of people, and that location being somewhere LOTS of people (yourself included) were willing to drive to. The same is likely true of the MCC, but that's not was I was referring to.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 25, 2019 04:25AM
Updated poster

Its on land owned by the church, like a hippie commune.

Earth people’s park OR

El Gee Productions

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2019 11:45PM by Ras Matches.
July 25, 2019 02:43PM
thanks for the flyer link... as to the others.. yes people were willing to drive to see a festival for 3 days they could camp etc. For one show a night for two nights where they would have to pay to stay in a motel several miles from the show.. I don't think that is the same thing. That is all I was saying.

Tahoe.. we shall have to agree to disagree and that is ok. Bless
July 25, 2019 06:06PM
i just realized listening to max romeo now how much i missed snwmf this year, its like my soul and my body are not happy. i miss those 3 days of rocking to the reggae and smiling and letting the music pass throught....
July 25, 2019 07:10PM
I think the Mateel will do well next weekend. The sheer number of people that would usually attend ROTR is so much larger than the 800 capacity of the Mateel. I doubt that a lot of people will actually travel to S. Oregon that were going to attend the Mateel shows. It's a win for everyone. Artists will get paid....Some of us will get to go to a reggae festival and camp, swim and enjoy the vibe which I didn't think was going to happen for me this year after not missing one of the two festivals (most of the time both) for the past 20 years. Ninja, we should link if your going. Would be nice to meet you after years of PC banter. Respect the the whole reggae family.
July 25, 2019 11:24PM
This could turn out to be a really nice festival if they pull it off. I can't go but hope it's successful for everyone!
July 26, 2019 04:39PM
I think they will pull it off... would be interested if anyone plans on going to the Steel Pulse show.. I think it is either tonight or tomorrow night at the same spot...
July 26, 2019 11:03PM
tahoearmada
not really, its more like people trying to take advantage of no rotr... people chilling on the illinois are only taking away from the mateel and their event that weekend... pirate festival

My understanding is that the Illinois folks were trying to fill a last minute void and reached out to Mateel for collaboration but they were not interested and booked their event instead.

*I'll probably regret this post as I generally try to avoid politics.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 27, 2019 01:16AM
Not sure how far Chillin on the Illinois is from the big fire near Canyonville in So Oregon but the smoke is unbearable here in So Hum.............. I hope it all goes away and the fire contained by next weekend. Send good energy and love to
all who are effected............ At last notice it was over 6000 acres of forest on fire......... love to all
July 27, 2019 07:54PM
it is about 80 miles.. probably all depends on which way the wind has been blowing... hopefully the fire season isn't as bad as I think it is going to be.
July 28, 2019 02:06AM
Steel Pulse & Stephen Marley have this venue listed on their official websites and sizzla just showed up in an instagram video repping chillin on the Illinois by name and also confirmed his presence Aug 2&3. This promotion is legit. Imma peep out steeel pulse tomorrow
July 28, 2019 04:17PM
I&I See You
Imma peep out steeel pulse tomorrow

Please let us know how the smoke is affecting the area.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 28, 2019 04:42PM
AND let us know how the venue in general is... I have no doubt that this is legit, I think the timeline is what has had most people thinking something is "strange".
July 28, 2019 04:57PM
We live in grants pass near the river, the AIQ right now is 181 (which seems at or around the high end of “normal” these past years sad smiley ) and cave junction is at 150 right now. Barely tolerable, but my real concern is for the elders performing. Regardless, if they do come out we will be there support them. Will give an update tonight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 04:58PM by I&I See You.
July 28, 2019 11:06PM
Discounters tix on Groupon
July 29, 2019 12:18AM
I guess they are bringing the fire.. (reggae humor for one and all)
July 29, 2019 04:30AM
Smoke cleared up and the people are coming in droves
~Love this reggae music~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 04:31AM by I&I See You.
July 29, 2019 03:15PM
July 29, 2019 06:26PM
Rally round
Soldiers
Chant a psalm
Wild goose chase
Drug squad
Cry cry blood
Don’t shoot
Babylon makes the rules
Stop you coming and come
Who’s responsible
Stepping out
Roller skates
Franklin’s tower
July 29, 2019 09:49PM
Steel Pulse rocks! Infinite props to Earth People's Park for bringing them to Cave Junction! They went on around 10:30 and played till 12, including the encore. The sound seemed a little off at first, but by the end of the set, it sounded great & the bass definitely was there. The concert bowl was nice, close to the river, but as David Hinds pointed out, it was quite dusty with everyone dancing/etc... All in all totally awesome to have Steel Pulse in 'the middle of nowhere/Cave Mountain/CJ' (all places David thought we were - all mostly true)!

I'm not totally sure, but I think there were 2 or 3 food vendors? Be interesting to see the set up for next weekend. They definitely have their work cut out for them, but as fair as an initial concert, it definitely worked. I saw 3 trash cans on the entire grounds, and maybe 6 porta-potties? Didn't see any drinking fountains/hydration stations/etc... No atms/etc, and no other vendors besides the merchandise for the bands. Pulled into the venue to a mini-excavator clearing parking places, which continued until the opening act started. Not totally sure about how the camping situation is all going to play out - seemed like for the most part the venue itself was pretty full with parked cars, so maybe they have more space for camping next weekend that wasn't open last nite? The grounds themselves are cool, a fair number of trees, with some open spaces. Be interesting to see how next weekend all comes together, certainly seems like it will. My guess would be there was around 300-400 people there last nite, but I am terrible at guessing.

As far as the smoke is concerned, it cleared up pretty nice for the evening. But it's all at mercy of the wind, so there is no way to predict what its going to do. I would think twice about trying to camp for 2 days with no relief from smoke if it blows into the valley. Not a whole lot anyone can do, but be somewhat prepared for it I suppose... Hopefully they make some progress on the fire between now and then.

That's my 2 cents. All in all it seemed like a cool concert venue with some things any new spot has to work out... Relatively close to town, so I suppose you could head back for supplies at some point via foot.
Massive respect for the promoters, volunteers, and everyone associated for bringing classic reggae acts (and even a festival) to Southern Oregon. Looking forward to next weekend! And hopefully many more events out there!
July 30, 2019 06:03PM
I was at the Steel Pulse show, and yes they definitely have their work cut out for them. With that being said. I went with low expectations as I know how these things can go around here. I actually found it to be better than expected. The stage and sounds were great, which is very important. There was probably 5 or 6 plus an ADA ports potty, and they were all very clean. The stage area was all dirt with some smaller river rockers in spots but it was for the most part pretty flat. Parking was lacking but it looked like there may be another parking area across the highway. There was no security and people were bringing in whatever they wanted though, but like I said I went into this with low expectations and really the fact that the artist showed up and the sound and stage was great is the main thing for me, I can usually figure out the rest if I need.

I am thinning camping will most likely not be with vehicles and I’m not sure what the details of that are, I’m assuming they will be doing a lot of work this week as it looked like they had proper equipment too, and I’m sure this first event they learned a lot.

As far as food vendors go, well, that was lacking. There was one that had pizza until they sold out, and another that just had some snacks and drinks(non alcoholic), like tea/coffee/chai etc., I’m assuming they will have more for the event this weekend. It I’m not relying on it like I typically do for other reggae events we attend.

As far as the smoke goes, we were really surprised to see that there was no smoke, it was totally clear.

I will be attending the event this weekend regardless, and I have faith the artist will show or at least most. The town is nearby though and they allow ins and outs so there are some local food options in town and small grocery stores. The Illinois river is beautiful as well.

If you’re coming, bring your good vibes and have fun. We are apart of what makes these things go well too. Let’s keep in mind this is a big event at a new venue that they are pulling together pretty quick. I’m super appreciative for it especially since our other events this year were cancelled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 06:11PM by EmpressoftheWest.
July 30, 2019 06:44PM
EmpressoftheWest
If you’re coming, bring your good vibes and have fun. We are apart of what makes these things go well too. Let’s keep in mind this is a big event at a new venue that they are pulling together pretty quick. I’m super appreciative for it especially since our other events this year were cancelled.

yes, 100%.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
July 30, 2019 07:11PM
A good number of cars were parked along rockydale rd., and the promoter told me the sheriff was being called and a tow truck because some of the neighbors were pissed. Apparently there is no county right of way and the properties extend basically right to the asphalt. Not sure if the tow truck ever made it, but the cops definitely did (I saw). I would not count on parking here in the future. Conversely, families dodging traffic on 199 all weekend long seems equally as problematic. Definitely work to do on the parking. I would imagine 3x the turnout for a multi-day event so it could get real challenging this weekend.

Stoked that there are legit reggae bookings happening again in southern Oregon and hope it lasts. It does seem to have good potential. Nice vibe and decent crowd, good stage, good sound, easy location.
July 31, 2019 10:27PM
I just heard that the event has been cancelled due to last minute permit issues.
August 01, 2019 01:08AM
^ I read that too
August 01, 2019 03:01AM
It was a big event to pull together in little time, I definitely had a feeling this was a possibility but was really hoping it could come together. It’s hard out there, sad year for reggae festies... hopefully next summer is a better reggae summer for us all.
August 01, 2019 03:13AM
Anyone one go to Northwest Reggae Fest in Oregon last week? I went last year and wanted to see how it turned out this year

Giving thanks!
August 02, 2019 05:08PM
So check this out. Show is relocated with a slightly different line up (no Sizzla). Ticket holders of Chillin get a full refund and complimentary weekend of music and free camping. In addition the first 500 folks that did not have tix can get free tix at this link. Free camping is 40 miles from venue.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/toots-the-maytals-kabaka-pyramid-more-tickets-67677044863

August 02, 2019 05:49PM
IF you are going to cancel a show at the last minute.. that is the way to do it.
August 08, 2019 12:00AM
Anyone make it to the free event? Just curious how it went
August 08, 2019 02:01AM
Didn’t go Friday, went for toots Saturday.

Between the private security guards with tasers, guns, and body armor, and the totally horrendous sound, we ended up leaving after four or five songs.

I would say 6-800 people in attendance. Great spot for a show otherwise I think.
August 08, 2019 09:34PM
Wow...sounds like the last year SNWMF was in Angel's camp with all the local sheriff's officers patrolling
August 09, 2019 03:41AM
No cops at Reggae Legacy at the Mateel only great vibes great music with great sound (thank you Loren). Sold out both days. I've seen Kabaka numerous times but his energy on Sat Nite was not like anything I've seen from him. Ditto for Toots. I've never seen him have sooooo much energy on stage. He did 4 songs for encore and seem to have a hard time wanting to leave the stage. Ishi Dube and Irie rockers were as good. Some folks went to French's camp during the day to swim and party then came over to the Mateel for music........... The Caribbean dinner was so tasty especially the jerk chicken. People were still ordering some an hour after the show ended! here's some photos

[www.flickr.com]
August 10, 2019 07:36PM
Nice... the roots of ROTR are strong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login