Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NWWRF 2019

Posted by bun n cheese 
NWWRF 2019
June 21, 2019 12:12AM
I can’t believe I’m posting this, but here we go...

With SN and now ROTR cancelled, I’m considering NWWRF. For one, it’s the only option and I feel a sense of duty to attend any reggae event, even when I know it’ll be a shitshow. 2 - it’s at the best venue to host this kind of event. 3 - it’s only a few miles from my home.

I am well aware of its sordid past and many financial debts/obligations. Somehow it persists. The whole “NWWRF Is A Scam” movement actually makes me want to go more, because I don’t see it as an intentional fleecing. Maybe it is? It just seems kinda shitty to constantly go around social media reminding everyone of past mistakes.

I wonder, is the issue that the finances were mishandled? Or that attendance revenue could not meet the contract amounts. I imagine if attendance was high that everyone would get paid as per their agreement.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2019 07:50AM by bun n cheese.
Re: NWWRF 2019
June 21, 2019 04:08AM
You won't be alone. We are coming from SoCal.

We have not been there since they moved, but since there are back....why not? What else is there to choose from?

See ya there!
June 21, 2019 04:15AM
Edited two times.. that made me smile... Go.. see how it is. Camping in that venue is worth it and you are a stones throw from the crib if you don't want to camp. Go see my man Blaak Lung his reaction to a first time trip to Marcola will be worth the price of admission. They got a few bands too that if they do end up playing will be good to see for sure. The past is the past.. IMO
June 21, 2019 05:25AM
Ha, edited for clarity and grammar smiling smiley
June 21, 2019 07:14AM
i think You meant "sordid" not sorted.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
June 21, 2019 07:52AM
Yeah, okay fixed that. I typed it up on my phone...
June 21, 2019 01:47PM
I think I am gonna ride down with Ras Danny
June 21, 2019 04:08PM
June 21, 2019 06:20PM
you should go if you want to, have a good time and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

that said, calling it "past mistakes" or "the past is the past" when those debts are still owed several folks, is not really accurate. seems to me they are still very "current" transgressions. (at this point i wouldn't call them "mistakes".)
i doubt you or ninja would be so flippant or forgiving about not being paid if it was was you getting screwed. this is the manner in which artists feed their family.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 21, 2019 06:30PM
well I still feel like I am owed a couple shows that I paid for and didn't get. I got one chance to take a bunch of people to a reggae festival who NEVER go and they ended up going to that year when the DJ played for like 5 hours or something .. it was the Blakkamoore year. I don't feel like it is being flippant. I think it is more that there are a bunch of people not named Doug who benefit from that show. The vendors for one... Ninja would be so forgiving because well.. that is just the kind of guy he is. Grudges and old debts... are not good for the ole ticker so forgiveness isn't for the party doing the wrong it is for me so I can go on and be the best me. Not telling others what to do, this is just what I tend to do.. unless it is that cat Jah Meek.. he gets no love
June 21, 2019 06:48PM
well you're quite a guy, ninja! smileys with beer

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
June 21, 2019 07:27PM
that is what my wife tells me smiling smiley when she doesn't want to do me in
June 21, 2019 08:23PM
I used the word "mistakes" because I don't feel the organization intended to fail to meet their responsibilities. It's different to just be bad at running a business than it is intending to exploit people. Flippant implies carelessness and that isn't accurate. I care deeply.

My experience with organizing the DJs at this fest for a couple of years was square. I handled it in a way where I represented the group of DJs and we all got paid, had a schedule, and equipment ready and in working order. That was my responsibility to see it through. I am aware that others have not had the same experience and though not the offended parties fault, some burden of responsibility should be on their shoulders for opening themselves up to huge losses. Business is risky. I certainly wouldn't float $20,000 without checks and balances in place to safeguard the investment. Or, I would float it without an expectation of return and hope for the best knowing it is more likely I'd never see that cash again. It's bad business to float cash with the expectation of return, and not safeguard the funds. I think everyone involved (minus the artists) knew about the risk.

Like Ninja said, it does me no good to carry a grudge. I've not even considered attending for many years. I do believe that the organization (Doug) should have handled it better, no doubt. I believe they should make amends to those artists who's food was taken for their work.

So with all that, plus the years long campaign to spread the word of their misdeeds, how has it survived?

I supposed I should have just kept my mouth shut. But honestly, I cringe every time the "NWWRF Is A Scam" posts pop up in my feed, multiple times a day. Maybe that makes me the jerk.
June 21, 2019 08:30PM
We're actually looking to relocate to the Oregon Coast (Coos Bay area). If we get settled in by then, I might have to join ya!
June 21, 2019 08:55PM
Awesome Dubguy! Link up, even if not for this fest.
June 21, 2019 10:34PM
zach, i think your post is fair and you should not have to feel the need to keep a closed mouth. and i think you should go; you always manage to create a nice time & vibe. and heck, it's close.

i also think that all artists should be paid before putting on a next fest, where again, artists are still not getting paid, and so the cycle continues. but this has everything to do with someone else, not you.

go, have fun, and tell us all how things went!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
June 22, 2019 01:01AM
I wonder why an artist would still book a show there is there is a chance they aren't getting paid. I mean I would be like send me the tickets to get there, send me the cashiers check before I move a muscle... Just my thought but hey to each there own
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login