Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Make Reggae Great Again (well at least Festivals)

Posted by Ninja 
Make Reggae Great Again (well at least Festivals)
June 19, 2019 07:50PM
cause the Music is fine...

Question.. what is it going to take to bring back reggae festivals that are strong and vibrant and do not have a continued declining attendance? Is it even possible.
Re: Make Reggae Great Again (well at least Festivals)
June 19, 2019 08:57PM
Well I think a good start would be having more people interested in the music that performs at these reggae festivals.

There used to be dozens of performers who could fill a venue like Maritime Hall. Now many of those artists are relegated to small venues like 19 Broadway or longboard in Pacifica...
June 19, 2019 08:58PM
Ninja

Question.. what is it going to take to bring back reggae festivals that are strong and vibrant and do not have a continued declining attendance? Is it even possible.

Yeah, good question...even though I haven’t attended in the last two years, it’s sad to see both SNWMF and ROTR cancelled.

We always camped for a week at both festivals and enjoyed all the aspects of the festival experience, the camping in the redwoods, meeting old and new friends, the food, the after-hours dancehalls and drum circles and of course the music on the big sound system, both Live and Selectors.

We loved the ROTR venue with the river location and the camping right next door at Richardson’s Grove.

If they(whomever that might be) could just kinda start over at The ROTR venue with a simple three day event with a few good food vendors, craft beer and a big sound system, I would be there. I’d even settle for a wide variety of Afro-Centric recorded music by Selectors instead of live music with all the expense and complications.

Hell, if they can get 200,000 people to pay big bucks to dance to recorded music at Electric Daisy Carnival in Vegas, cant we get 5000 people to pay say $100 for good times and dancing at the ROTR venue?
June 19, 2019 09:08PM
Daniel to me that is a hard one.. People seem to love the music that is played at Cali Roots. I personally like it but it is one of the biggest complaints that ROTR and SNWMF fans have is why these "non traditional" reggae bands are getting the headlines. The reason is because they sell tickets. Rebelution, SOJA, The Green.. these bands have massive followings. I personally don't want to see Alpha Blondy playing before SOJA or Steel Pulse playing before Pepper but those are the bands people want to see. IF you don't have those bands of bands like these in your Festival line up it seems like there aren't enough fans who are willing to pay to see "niche" and I use that term with all respect artists play. Example.. Someone like Rankin Joe.. in reggae circles this is a world class artists. In the circles of people who are getting hyped to spend a week on the road, staying up til 3am sleeping on the ground.. They want to see The Movement. It seems like SNWMF has done the best job of blending the line up but I couldn't help but notice two years ago there was less people and last year even less. Not a good trend for the health of a world class festival. For my experience it was fine, more space to camp and easier to get around but seeing artists like Max Romeo play to "less than capacity" or anything close was kind of a downer. Anyway.. I think just like anything.. blending the old and the new is the only way to go. I think Cali Roots has gone a bit too much to the "new" IMO but right now they are the big dog of anything close to what would be seen as a reggae festival out west.
June 19, 2019 09:09PM
agreed on every point Rhythmwize... use to stay at Benbow and just take that shuttle bus they had..
June 19, 2019 10:52PM
last year sierra nevada was great and one love fest also. maybe 2019 is just a bump in the road. i am from france and festival are big there also. ppl still love the reggae in europe (not sure about cali reggae!)
June 19, 2019 11:46PM
Ninja:

My post was more envisioning more people being interested in roots music. Selling out the top of the bill in order to subsidize the appearance of roots legends may make financial sense but it does change the vibe. And vibes is what festivals are all about.

Massive respect to the PURE Fest for keeping it Rootsy. I wish I could be there but I'll be in Boonville this weekend!
June 20, 2019 01:03PM
yes Daniel.. none of us (me or you) is under the age of 40 and if you are going to have a festival that is reaching out to the next generation you have to have music that speaks to them. I don't call that selling out that is just widening your reach. I think Sierra has done a good job of this by having artist like Sara Lugo spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Kabaka, T Riley, Gentlemen, Randy Valentine, Protoje, Mellow Mood.. but even with this it is hard to sustain success when you have festivals like Cali Roots cutting into your fan base. I don't know really anything about PURE and I hope it is successful. I would like to know how many people go.. what the size and scope is for a strictly roots festival.
June 20, 2019 02:37PM
Selling out the top of the bill in order to subsidize the appearance of roots legends may make financial sense but it does change the vibe. And vibes is what festivals are all about.

Daniel, you are my hero , I'm not sure I if ever told you that.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 02:38PM by papaken.
June 20, 2019 03:42PM
great but it isn't sustainable..not in the current environment. Too many other players when their used to be just a couple. Not that they would disagree with either of you but I would like to hear from someone under t he age of 40 on the matter.
June 20, 2019 03:44PM
AND... this is the other thing.. having the majority of your ticket buyers under the age of 30 (random number) changes the vibe no matter what kind of music it is. Sierra Nevada is an "old persons festival" compared to a lot of others. I love it, it is great for me. I like to go to sleep at 9 and wake up at 5. I complain about sleeping on the ground and have to take my meds. I don't think I am the bulk of people you need to support a festival.
June 20, 2019 03:47PM
Ninja

Boots(sandals) on the ground. I used to hang out around San Jose state campus handing out the local FM radio reggae schedule that I printed myself. That’s how I got into reggae, someone handed me a similar radio schedule when I was a kid.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 05:37PM by Ras Matches.
June 21, 2019 05:33PM
yes but I don't know where those boots would go. Most of the people under the age of 30 aren't taking paper fliers or getting their info from sheets of paper in any form. Social media rules the day. Most people over the age of say 40 are not frequenting places that traditionally boots on the ground have been.. thus the issue. I do agree that having people who are "pro" any event putting on the full court press in every avenue is good. I just think the idea of 20+ year runs of any festival may be a thing of the past.
June 21, 2019 05:46PM
Ninja
yes but I don't know where those boots would go. Most of the people under the age of 30 aren't taking paper fliers or getting their info from sheets of paper in any form. Social media rules the day. Most people over the age of say 40 are not frequenting places that traditionally boots on the ground have been.. thus the issue. I do agree that having people who are "pro" any event putting on the full court press in every avenue is good. I just think the idea of 20+ year runs of any festival may be a thing of the past.

People can either sit behind their macs or get out into the field and actually help on the ground level. Your thought of “most people under 30 don’t take flyers” where did you get that interesting fact from? You sure use the word “most” frequently. Who is most? I am not.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 21, 2019 05:50PM
social media dominates advertising. People get almost all of their information from screens... news, adverts and promotional materials are all passed via social media. Example.. how do I know about the Pure Festival happening this weekend? It wasn't because someone passed me a flyer. Where did I get the most people under 30 from? I have kids that are well under that and getting them or my niece and nephew OR any of their friends to look up from their phones of carry anything other than their phones and their ipads is impossible. So you could say it is just "my experience" passed off as fact.
June 21, 2019 05:53PM
social media is part of having a "ground game".. people like AOC for example. They do have people going door to door but the only reason most people outside of a small section of NY know about her is because of the reach and skillful usage of social media.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login