Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ROTR 2019 CANCELLED

Posted by mamacalimama 
ROTR 2019 CANCELLED
June 18, 2019 01:00AM
High Times has just announced that ROTR 2019 has been canceled. Go to ReggaeontheRiver.com for more info........
Re: ROTR 2019 CANCELLED
June 18, 2019 01:15AM
Classic.

I hope One Love One Heart in Sacramento is still on, it’s pretty quiet on their site too. Good thing I listen to reggae everyday to calm me.

Edit: confirmed kymkemp.com

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 02:24AM by Ras Matches.
June 18, 2019 07:09AM
this 2019 reggae season is not good. hopefully the show in sac is still on in september!
June 18, 2019 12:27PM
dang snwmf and rotr are part of me, times change, different space, give thanks for all the vibes !!!!!!!
June 18, 2019 04:42PM
sad day for Reggae in the west. Sad day for all of the vendors who have participated and become part of the Reggae fabric out West.
June 18, 2019 06:02PM
"35th ANNUAL REGGAE ON THE RIVER™ CANCELLED

The Mateel Community Center is disappointed, shocked and saddened regarding the cancellation of Reggae on the River™ 2019. We are feeling the pain of the community for the loss of local income and much more, its annual tradition. We will continue to pursue all avenues to restore the show. And will undoubtedly have a show at the Mateel the weekend of Reggae on the River™, August 2-4. "
Mateel forever....
Mateel Board of Directors
June 18, 2019 07:04PM
Damian and Kabaka would be nice.
June 18, 2019 07:43PM
Wow - High Times fail! Although with 6 weeks to go and only 2 artists listed for a 3-day reggae fest, well - the writing was on the wall...
June 18, 2019 08:31PM
Exactly. High Times tried to claim it was difficulties from the rural site but that’s BS. They likely have no ticket sales because 6 wks to go there’s still no lineup. They need a lineup and ticket sales to start in Feb if they want to do it for real.
June 18, 2019 09:37PM
Very disappointing that an organization like High Times couldn't get their act together. Makes me wonder what the motivation is to put the festival on in the first place.

Love that reggae!
June 19, 2019 12:06AM
What's really going on?
June 19, 2019 05:29AM
Here is my take. High Times runs their events with the goal of getting revenue from vendors rather than ticket revenue. This formula did not work in this location.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 19, 2019 12:00PM
So when they saw that the revenue wasn't there they cancelled it. It's always the money, i'm sure you're right. One of the dangers of putting a festival in the hands of not locals.

Love that reggae!
June 19, 2019 02:12PM
I agree but this is all connected. If they sold 20 thousand tickets then the vendors would be more likely to pay more for their slots. When the vendors know that there is going to be 5 thousand people there they know that their own revenue will not support paying higher prices. I would still think High Times would have taken the time to book artist, announce the line up.. basically do everything they could to make it successful on the from end and then let the chips fall where they may.
June 19, 2019 04:03PM
Probably didn't help that the artist who would probably get the most people to buy tickets got kicked off the bill.....
June 19, 2019 05:40PM
Damian Marley is a much bigger draw in California than Sizzla.. not even close. For a "festival crowd" yeah not even on the same planet. Their problems have much more to do with incompetence and the massive increase in competition (way more festivals than a decade ago) then they do with kicking off Sizzla.
June 19, 2019 08:53PM
Damian Marley is a much bigger draw in California than Sizzla.. not even close.

maybe for ALL of California Ninja -but the Bay area and those that attend ROR -I'm not so sure that would hold true

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 19, 2019 08:59PM
when in doubt always bet on Marley... and he comes all the time.. or is playing shows on a regular basis. Sizzla is great don't get me wrong but he plays once every couple years. My point was I don't see people saying.. I am going to pay 200 plus for a ticket... and spend all the money it takes to get to ROTR... AND all the money it takes to camp and park there AND all the money it takes to get fed for the weekend all to see Sizzla.. I just don't buy that. Maybe I am just jaded from living in Portland and seeing how no show gets love outside of Marley but I don't think so.. I bet some people are doing that but not thousands of people it takes to make or break a festival of that size.
June 19, 2019 09:14PM
I think Marley is more for Reggae Rising and Sizzla is more ROTR

Edit: it just my opinion. I personally don’t own any of Damian’s music or any of his brothers music other than Ghetto youth crew
I do own a lot of Sizzla on CDs and vinyl

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 10:30PM by Ras Matches.
June 19, 2019 09:32PM
i think people go to a festival as much for the artist as for the experience. that is my case. i go to snwmf and dont even look at the line up anymore and every year its the best weekend no matter.
June 19, 2019 09:41PM
Went to see ROTR for many years before Sizzla was even a thing.. well at least outside of Jamaica. Back before Sizzla debut on Capleton's Babylon Use Dem Brain.. on I Testament.. Ras Danny used to say. "why do you go to that Festival it is way too much of a party vibe" in a nutshell. Way back before Boomville was a reality. Think Tower Records was a still around and most certainly the internet wasn't a reality at least it wasn't in full bloom yet. Sure people loved playing all kinds of reggae.. Buju was in full swing... all of this cause I feel like I have been around a long time. Never thought I would see the day when someone who has done as much for Reggae as Damian Marley would be thought of as not "ROTR" material
June 19, 2019 09:42PM
Definitely High Times wouldn’t have cancelled if ticket sales were strong, and definitely ticket sales were likely weak since they only went on sale a few weeks ago and there is still no lineup. They need to stop acting like amateurs and announce the majority of the lineup in Feb and start ticket sales. They wasted too much time not selling tickets and not giving anybody a good reason to get excited to buy tickets.

Heck, Sierra Nevada starts ticket sales in Dec!
June 19, 2019 09:53PM
I feel like every time Sizzla gets mentioned it obscures everything you just said langcow. Everything.. and it is a shame.
June 19, 2019 11:18PM
langcow
Definitely High Times wouldn’t have cancelled if ticket sales were strong, and definitely ticket sales were likely weak since they only went on sale a few weeks ago and there is still no lineup. They need to stop acting like amateurs and announce the majority of the lineup in Feb and start ticket sales. They wasted too much time not selling tickets and not giving anybody a good reason to get excited to buy tickets.

Heck, Sierra Nevada starts ticket sales in Dec!

Exactly! (and hence my High Times fail comment). Mateel knows all about holding a festival at French's Camp, so "dealing with holding a festival is such a rural area" is a moot point and a lame excuse, assuming High Times was coordinating with them at all. Too little, too late - which begs the question: why did they want to help produce it in the first place?

I say take it down a notch again: make it a two day festival again, and bring in some more "less known" type acts/djs that are more affordable. The reggae fans will come. In the old days, Carribean All-Stars (who I miss, what are they doing these days?), Inka Inka, Rod Deal and the like always put on a great show and got everyone dancing, without costing promoters an arm and a leg! The old timers went just as much for the river and the experience, ESPECIALLY when it was a more mellow scene. I get that there's been some stellar lineups over the years at both of these events, but attracting more people in order to cover costs on a 3 day primo lineup seems to no longer be working, so go the other way and see what happens... It's still the best location for a music filled weekend!
June 19, 2019 11:50PM

Carribean All-Stars

They play at Ashkenaz in Berkeley once a year, usually in December....
June 20, 2019 12:34AM
Remember when ROTR was a one day fest? Still a good crowd, and a great vibe. The unfortunate thing with ROTR is all the drama that happened in the early 2000's...it never recovered.
June 20, 2019 02:18AM
The Carribean Allstars are at ashkenaz next month i believe.....

Love that reggae!
June 20, 2019 04:48AM
You hit it pretty close Dubguy. I was appalled when I read what HT said "dealing with holding a festival is such a rural area". Last month when they secured their permit they fired anyone or anything that is MCC or associated with the MCC. MCC was able to secure the Ambassador's Lounge and some concessions. They got rid of South Beach and kept Center Beach but only with DJ's they brought in. NO LOCALS. And the staff parking lot behind back stage on the other side of BOB Marley Blvd was to become a cannabis village. And no more shuttles from town.If you stayed at a motel in town the only way to the show was to drive down to County Line Ranch pay to park and then they shuttle you up to the event..........I could go on but all I can say is that they cut out all LOCAL COMMUNITY involvement.!!!!

It's a bummer with no SNWMF or ROTR but still holding out for One Love One Heart, also saw a two day show that's happening in Rohnert Park. Everybody who's heading to Penn Valley on Sat have a GREAT time. I wish I could join you but have a memorial to attend (Dana Cory from KMUD Press Tent). Love to all............
June 20, 2019 08:02PM
nomotrouble
The Carribean Allstars are at ashkenaz next month i believe.....

And so they are! July 20th. Very glad they are still doing their thing, thanks for the tip Nomo & Daniel! Someone should put them on the bill for 2020 grinning smiley

Between the whole town going up in flames and house shopping, it's been hectic, but might have to visit my brother in the bay for that!
June 20, 2019 09:38PM
that is disappointing to hear Mamacali. Gonna miss you this weekend. We need to blow up the shows we have left, the Pure Music and Art Fest, the One Love One Heart fest....

Love that reggae!
June 21, 2019 01:31AM
June 21, 2019 03:30AM
Looks like my crew will be heading to Oregon.
June 21, 2019 04:17AM
Oregon is dope... IF that show goes off without a hitch it will be a nice weekend. If you have never been to the venue, Bob's Ranch, it is nice.. good camping, shaded spots.. nice soft moss to sleep on..
July 07, 2019 06:41PM
July 07, 2019 07:05PM
that is great... glad to hear it... nice that they pulled a legend and a legend in the making.
July 09, 2019 05:46AM
Sadly, we've been rapidly losing to Father Time most of the Jamaican foundation artists who used to populate shows in years past. With minimal exception it seems, the proverbial torch to carry traditional Jamaican reggae to newer generations hasn't really happened. Sorry, but the Cali Roots trend or what dem call "Surf Reggae" never worked for me. And, I'd never shell out any bucks to see them locally, much less traveling remote distances.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 08:07AM by IRIEMON.
July 09, 2019 05:23PM
You nailed it Iriemon. It's a trend I've been noticing over the past few years. Sad. Glad you used my term for Cali roots music... Surf Reggae!
July 09, 2019 08:45PM
yeah surf reggae no good. agreed. anyone knows where to look for shows in JA, i ll be there in sept. Tks
July 09, 2019 09:58PM
if the above were true it would be true in Europe too. They don't seem to have a problem booking nuff non "surf" reggae to fill out a bill
July 09, 2019 10:54PM
Ninja makes a strong point about festivals in Europe (as well as in Colombia, *Miami, *New York, *Canada [*major Caribbean populations and influence]. MASSIVE festivals with foundation Roots, Dancehall artists, international and Jamaican groups and soundsystems bigger than ever smoking smileyout here fools twisted back with wack EDM and surfy party reggae...Bless
July 10, 2019 05:02AM
Very true wildone! There are still plenty of conscious reggae artists out there who are alive & well, they just don't seem to come around these parts as often anymore. But hey, we got Hempress Sativa coming to King of Kings Berkeley on July 28! smoking smiley
July 10, 2019 03:46PM
I like Hempress Satvia's music... I had to cut her off on FB though.. she was killing me with her "reasoning"... some of it wasn't very "reasonable". She is coming the North West Reggae Festival as well.
July 10, 2019 07:57PM
the other fest that popped up for that weekend looks pretty dope
bummed ill have to miss it

Respect Same Way
July 11, 2019 02:35AM
Yes the Mateel is having a great weekend!!! Sat Aug 3rd it's Kabaka Pyramid & the Bebble Rockers, Arkaingelle, Ishe Dube and Guerilla Takeover. On Sun Aug 4th it's Toots and the Maytals, Irie Rockers, Realyouths and G Davis. Doors open at 5PM. For tix and more info Mateel.org. Reggae Legacy lives on!!!!!!
July 11, 2019 09:56PM
Don't sleep on Arkaingelle! That mans got the roots:

Love that reggae!
July 11, 2019 11:58PM
Also.. for those in the area check the Chillin on the Illinois thread.. much of the same up north on the Illinois River in Cave Junction.. has come together nicely in a VERY short time.
July 12, 2019 01:20AM
Anything new from Arkaingelle???? I have O'pen and that's it!

Jah Son
July 12, 2019 01:55AM
'Tru Da Fyah' and also '...And Behold'

Love that reggae!
July 12, 2019 03:39AM
nomotrouble
'Tru Da Fyah' and also '...And Behold'

Thanks! Will check those out

Jah Son
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login