Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Misty in Roots

Posted by jcom 
Misty in Roots
May 27, 2019 08:35PM
I'm so sad to say that I've never seen Misty in Roots live. But I finally got to see Mosi O Tunya during a humanitarian effort in 2017. Words cannot explain. Even got to bungee off the bridge!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 08:37PM by jcom.
Re: Misty in Roots
May 27, 2019 08:42PM
Seeing MIR at snwmf was a dream for me. And the collection of Misty cd's I got from Daniel that year still get regular airtime here on the JahMicron Sound System.
June 03, 2019 08:32PM
Wholeheartedly agree - they are underrated. Roots Controller had a great mix too - what are they up to these days?
June 04, 2019 07:31PM
Yes 2006 , the debut in Boonville for Sierra Nevada -HOTTT weather and lineup.... ...With stars like Michael Prophet, Mad Professor, Vusi Mahlasela , Culture, Uroy, Cornell Campbell, Willi Williams, CoCo Tea, Don Carlos, Gregory Isaacs, Larry Marshall and Ken Boothe already on the bill -it almost felt like a cherry on top that Misty In Roots would headline that Saturday night....

It had been a long Saturday, alternating as usual between the two stages, the red 'rehearsal ' barn and riding around Ukiah and back with Willi Williams...so I nestled in that night near the soundboard to catch Misty In Roots-who had long been a favorite and I highly anticipated their performance ... First off, a seasoned MC like Junor Francis , or Spliff Skankin , or Steve Heilig did not bring them on -that was fine as I believe Misty had their own MC..but then the music - Most of the songs sounded accelerated to the point where it sounded like they were trying to keep up with a mix- it just didn't have that melodic, slow grooving Misty vibe I was expecting from a seasoned group such as they- appearing rushed and the vibe wasn't relaxed at all. At that time of night everything should be on point - not affected by the heat -I know it was 13 years ago but it was underwhelming to say the least. My brain doesn't get fuzzy remembering performances - esp at Sierra. .I'd love to see them again as I know they'd be better.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 04, 2019 07:49PM
not familiar with this band.. I mean I heave heard of them many times but I don't know too much about them. Anyone got any suggestions on what to hear first?
June 04, 2019 08:06PM
Chronicles , Earth, and Forward are must haves and any of the 12" singles from those releases are PRIMO. New Day **

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2019 09:32PM by papaken.
June 04, 2019 09:31PM
Roots Controller had a great mix too

Yes that was Misty's latest studio album 2002, that was a compilation , like Chronicles.

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 04, 2019 10:47PM
papaken
Roots Controller had a great mix too

Yes that was Misty's latest studio album 2002, that was a compilation , like Chronicles.

Well - it has re-recordings of older stuff on it, but it also has new material! That's like saying The Wailers Burnin' album is a compilation..! smiling smiley

Okay - had to look it up to make sure I wasn't wrong, haha! First 6 songs are new, but looks like the remaining ones are not re-recorded, but just remastered. So, half right - lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2019 10:53PM by Dubguy.
June 05, 2019 01:46AM
i must admit to being somewhat shocked at papaken's suggestions, as we have a very similar taste on almost everything "reggae music" related...

that said, i suggest:
-earth (first mir i ever heard...the whole LP...just blown away)
-musi-o-tunya (second mir i ever heard and did not let down)
-john peel sessions (live versions for john peel in a studio setting, and like a "best of" at the time)

i have a few 12" singles from them, but really mostly draw "peace & love", awhoah! i've played this a couple of times during our warm up sets at snwmf. spliff skankin' always goes out of his way to say thanks!

ken, i'm a bit stunned, as "forward" is the most disappointing set of mir music i own. and you know i usually completely agree with your suggestions...and these are only opinions...but still, i'm stunned, because we agree on almost everything.
and this is for years -- this agreeing thing we have!!!

NINJA--
i just remembered a CRUCIAL cd (that's why i forgot about it) we have called "chronicles", issued as a "best of" (and i wholeheartedly agree!) but i don't believe there is an LP release -- but that shouldn't concern you! GET THIS RELEASE! and thank me later.

this is the one you want, promise.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 05, 2019 07:36PM
ken, i'm a bit stunned, as "forward" is the most disappointing set of mir music i own. and you know i usually completely agree with your suggestions...and these are only opinions...but still, i'm stunned, because we agree on almost everything. and this is for years -- this agreeing thing we have!!!

15 years ago, I might've had the ability to help you to the other side of this argument.smiling bouncing smiley...but alas, we can't agree on everything.rasta smiley.. I love Forward 's jazzy, pop, underpinnings. 'catchy' in a good way -slickly produced and more uptempo which was a good direction for them...In fact, if they had played more of the songs off of Forward in 2006 at Sierra Nevada, their set might've sounded better than the sped up mess that it was. Festa , Hawks on the Street , Save a Thought, Forward, Jah See Jah Know and Feelings stand up with the best Misty In Roots material. It's like you are hating on 'Earth Crisis' because Handsworth Revolution and Tribute to the Martyrs exist...splittting hairs to say the least...Any time you hear me yell Forward now , it will remind you of how much I love this record.

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 07:39PM by papaken.
June 05, 2019 08:10PM
"Okay - had to look it up to make sure I wasn't wrong, haha! First 6 songs are new, but looks like the remaining ones are not re-recorded, but just remastered. So, half right - lol

Thanks for the clarification-Dubguy

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2019 08:11PM by papaken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login