Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pink triangle hate blocks Sizzla Kalonji??thumbs down

Posted by wildone 
Pink triangle hate blocks Sizzla Kalonji??thumbs down
May 24, 2019 06:51PM
Looks like the Pink triangle shaped haters have struck again and blocked conscious, uplifting, and Love-based Reggae superstar Sizzla Kalonji from our beloved ROTR festival eye popping smiley
Re: Pink triangle hate blocks Sizzla Kalonji??thumbs down
May 24, 2019 07:06PM
I know There’s a lot of backlash, did he get canceled already?

Damn..Eureka times

Lost coast news

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 07:49PM by Ras Matches.
May 24, 2019 07:36PM
so how many times do we have to go through this... I think he should be able to play.. I love the guys music.. Love based? come on many.. His music is Rasta based.. you don't need to make stuff up about the guy.. he will always face backlash. The fact that he played their recently may help but this is nothing new.
May 24, 2019 10:06PM

I think he should be able to play..

You have the absolute right to your belief in this regard Ninja. On the other hand, those who feel the opposite also have the absolute right to their beliefs. Calling those who share the latter belief "haters" does nothing to demystify the notion that Sizzla and his supporters are homophobic....
May 24, 2019 10:24PM
His quality at this point is also debatable. He was good early in his career but the off-key falsetto nowadays is hard to listen to IMO. I won’t be missing him from the lineup. Would’ve skipped him anyway.
May 25, 2019 02:27PM
He was great in Berkeley last year. Nothing but love to and from the stage. Good size crowd inside...and no demonstrations outside.
May 25, 2019 05:40PM
I was actually considering going until they cancelled Sizzla! I hope this message reaches the Hightimes and Mateel folks. Your privilege is shining hard when you deny a marginalized person the right to pursue their means to survival. HaHA Big up to all those in the Boldt that threw down for the last private show and I hope they do it again. Like honestly just change the name to "Party on the River" or "World Music on the River Festival" LOL #mateelsowhite
May 26, 2019 04:29PM
The Mateel has NOTHING to do with hiring of the artists. It's all High Times. The first anyone at the Mateel heard about Sizzla was when everybody else did. I am not a big fan of dancehall but I know those who are and would have enjoyed seeing him again @ROTR. When he performed last time there were 2 protesters out on the road and a group of LGBT and supporters inside who made their way to the front of the stage with their rainbow flags and signs. After a short time Sizzla opened his arms and said to them "I love you all" and meant it and repeated it again in the press tent. This time the barrage of letters and statements from the LGBT groups were full of lies and exaggerations. The opening line from a letter I received said " Every year you include at least one if not more people who advocate violence against LGBT people."
I asked him to please tell me who the artists were and what year it was that violence was being advocated. He wrote back and told me to google "murder music". I asked him again based on his statement who was the artist in 1994,95, 2001-2018? And of course I got no reply. The irony here is that several months after Sizzla played ROTR the two LGBT groups in Humboldt Co at the time got into it with each other. One spray painting the gay pride posters and shooting BB's into the front window of of one of the leaders home. Really got messy. So while claiming violence against them they were doing it to themselves. We are all not perfect human beings and we hurt each other for what? Sizzla has shown he has changed. I'm not a fan of his but was sorry he got canceled. And Daniel I love you bro but must call out your hypocrisy. One of the top artists on the "murder music" list is Capleton and SNWMF had no problem having him perform a few years back and a performance I loved!!!
May 26, 2019 04:45PM
Hypocrisy? All I said was that both sides of this debate have the right to express themselves and that one side calling the other "haters" does nothing to either advance their position or to bridge the divide between the 2 points of view.
May 26, 2019 04:48PM
I guess hypocrisy was the wrong word. I agree completely with you about calling each other haters. It gets no where.....
May 27, 2019 02:29AM
Daniel.. I think you may have mistaken my comments... never called anyone a hater. I was saying to say that Sizzla sings "Love Based Music" is nonsense. Sure some of it is, but it is really Rasta Music.. if you fit into that world view then I suppose it is loved based. The comments about.. he doesn't say that stuff at shows... well if someone called my people niggers and then caught hell.. and people started saying.. oh he doesn't say that anymore.. that is some David Duke stuff.. I personally listen to Sizzla. Have for years... but I totally understand why people want him off any bill. They are well within their rights to protest him and call out people who promote him.
May 27, 2019 04:49PM
Saw Sizzla in Miami recently... awesome show, high energy... He made a speech saying he will never apologize to naaahhhh batty man.
I still dig his music and when he is on the bill I always take second notice.
May 27, 2019 07:38PM
Sizzla literally just released a song with a lesbian rapper a week ago.
May 28, 2019 02:09PM
^^^ so what should we reasonably conclude about that?
May 28, 2019 02:54PM
Ninja
^^^ so what should we reasonably conclude about that?

Similar to when a white person claims they are not racist because they have a black friend?
May 28, 2019 03:12PM
yeah like the Republicans did during the Michael Cohen hearings to that black lady... agreed though..

Sizzla doesn't like gay people. A lot of reggae artists and musicians in general don't. A lot of people don't. I am not one of them. I listen to Sizzla and many others who don't because I no longer put them on a pedestal like I did when I was a lot younger. I take many of their messages about social issues, black history and the struggles of poor people and I reject many of their personal religious messages. That is ok. This is the world and it is a confusing and diverse place. I just think it is funny (not funny ha ha) when people try argue that he is not against homosexuality. Like I said, he isn't alone and he is within his rights to think what he wishes and others are within their rights to run his ass out of town.
May 28, 2019 05:11PM
Ninja
yeah like the Republicans did during the Michael Cohen hearings to that black lady... agreed though..

Sizzla doesn't like gay people. A lot of reggae artists and musicians in general don't. A lot of people don't. I am not one of them. I listen to Sizzla and many others who don't because I no longer put them on a pedestal like I did when I was a lot younger. I take many of their messages about social issues, black history and the struggles of poor people and I reject many of their personal religious messages. That is ok. This is the world and it is a confusing and diverse place. I just think it is funny (not funny ha ha) when people try argue that he is not against homosexuality. Like I said, he isn't alone and he is within his rights to think what he wishes and others are within their rights to run his ass out of town.

Ninja. Well said. 110% cosign.
May 28, 2019 08:16PM
Is Queen Ifrica next?

JA Observer

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 09:01PM by Ras Matches.
May 28, 2019 09:49PM
nope cause no one knows who she is... by no one I mean no one outside of the reggae community
May 28, 2019 10:17PM
The guy who cancelled Sizzla literally said he didn’t know his past and didn’t even know his music. High Times is not apart of the reggae community.
If you read the article, 200 people showed to protest Queen Ifrica, she got canceled. Pretty sure those 200 people were not apart of the reggae community either.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 10:18PM by Ras Matches.
May 28, 2019 10:29PM
Actually, the Queen Ifrica protests were led by members of the Caribbean-American community who were quite familiar with her music and frequent anti-gay statements in the Jamaican press. I agree that this is a complicated topic and reasonable people can disagree -- in fact, the Jamaican gay community has largely stopped their murder music protests and is focusing on other things. (The fact that anti-gay lyrics are no longer in fashion has surely helped.) I do not think that a wealthy entertainer is more "marginalized" than a queer Jamaican.
June 01, 2019 01:06PM
there's a petition if you're so inclined
[www.change.org]
June 01, 2019 02:58PM
I heard Queen Ifrica is now canceled for ROTR..............
June 03, 2019 03:56PM
being anti human doesn't pay
June 03, 2019 04:55PM

blaze ya herbs and reflect my friends! Love the reasoning on this board, give thanks to all for your inputs. (Esp. mamacali and ninja, you both have great things to say!)

also NorCal/Oregon people, serious question do you or your neighbors fly a confederate flag? LOL
June 03, 2019 04:58PM
no but I have seen a couple.. usually posted up in the back of some truck that looks like it was made for dragging people behind it. Strange sight to see in a state that wasn't even a state during the war.
June 03, 2019 06:21PM
This is what the petition says:

"43-year-old Sizzla Kalonji was kicked off the Reggae on the River festival because of a homophobic song he recorded back when he was in his twenties. Damian Marley is on the lineup even though he also recorded a homophobic song. This has led reggae fans to believe that this is a racist attack on Sizzla by the new organizers (High Times) of Reggae on the River.

Homophobic lyrics are wrong, regardless of the artist who is performing them. However, Sizzla should not be crucified today for a song he recorded two decades ago. Also, if this is not a racist attack, how can organizers explain having Damian Marley on the show when he too has homophobic songs."

I would sign a petition to get him back on the bill but I can't agree with these statements. Last I heard Damian is also at least part black, so how the hell can this be a racist attack? Also how could it be an attack by High Times when they are the ones who put him on the lineup in the first place. I'm pretty sure they were pressured by others to take him off the lineup. It would have been much easier for them to just not book him had it been there idea to "attack" him based on being black. So while I would love to see him bring the LOVE he usually does I can't put my name on such a nonsensical statement.
June 03, 2019 06:49PM
chronicom420
This is what the petition says:

"43-year-old Sizzla Kalonji was kicked off the Reggae on the River festival because of a homophobic song he recorded back when he was in his twenties. Damian Marley is on the lineup even though he also recorded a homophobic song. This has led reggae fans to believe that this is a racist attack on Sizzla by the new organizers (High Times) of Reggae on the River.

Homophobic lyrics are wrong, regardless of the artist who is performing them. However, Sizzla should not be crucified today for a song he recorded two decades ago. Also, if this is not a racist attack, how can organizers explain having Damian Marley on the show when he too has homophobic songs."

I would sign a petition to get him back on the bill but I can't agree with these statements. Last I heard Damian is also at least part black, so how the hell can this be a racist attack? Also how could it be an attack by High Times when they are the ones who put him on the lineup in the first place. I'm pretty sure they were pressured by others to take him off the lineup. It would have been much easier for them to just not book him had it been there idea to "attack" him based on being black. So while I would love to see him bring the LOVE he usually does I can't put my name on such a nonsensical statement.

I can’t sign this either. I don’t understand the racist accusations in the petition. I would sign a better worded petition.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 03, 2019 08:36PM
this is nonsense... and Damian is also Black.. (not part black cause that doesn't exist). Saying this is racist is the dumbest drop a pooh I have heard in a long time. I think it isn't about who made a homophobic song many years ago.. it is about who continually says stuff that portrays being gay as an immoral choice. Who has has been asked many times in the past and say he "nah apologize" for anything. Again, there are plenty of rappers who call people "bundles of sticks" plenty of times in their career.. do they still do it? Do they look at gay people as people who have made immoral choices and are worthy of disdain? Even if they do.. do they voice t his opinion?
June 04, 2019 01:12AM
Thank you Ninja, summing my views up perfectly.
As a gay man who LOVES reggae music and lets it fulfill my soul, I've always had a hard time with the homophobic elements of Rasta culture and the music. I have to take what resonates with me and leave the rest, as we all do in this culture with all the influences coming at us. I remember one year at ROTR a DJ played boom bye bye and no one else noticed or cared, but I'm pretty sure most DJ's have evolved enough to keep things more positive.
I'd really enjoy if he'd just move on and our activists would focus on actually helping LGBT people in the Caribbean, as many of those in Jamaica have.
That said, his set was terrible last time he played at ROTR, honestly the off-key crooning was not enjoyable and he didn't play many of his classic hits that made people fans. I'll still include his songs on my podcast that stay away from the issue, but only when they are actually good.

Run Come Riddims - New Roots Podcast
Available on iTunes/Podcast app or your favorite player.
HearThis.at/IrieProphet
June 04, 2019 02:43PM
Ha ha "I have to take what resonates with me and leave the rest" ^^^ spoken like a true culture vulture.

Ill bet you think your "riddims" are the freshest and you have a unique ear for "good uplifting music". LOL
June 04, 2019 03:06PM
so you mean like all religions and governments ever? Like anyone who has ever ordered food off a menu? Anyone who has ever created a playlist?.. and btw my riddims are the freshest and I have a very unique ear for Good Uplifting Music.. btw.. what is your ethnicity if you don't mind me asking?
June 05, 2019 02:53AM
Sorry ninjaman I was actually speaking to the commenter directly above me, I know life can be confusing sometimes.
and yes I do mind, but I may reveal my ethnicity if you reveal the number of microbrews you drink per week.
June 05, 2019 04:35AM
No one should apologize or pretend that Rasta or Christianity or Judaism or Islam are progressive in any modern sense. They don't fit a modern mold, face it, deal with it. What can't be denied is that these histories and traditions continue to have great power and influence in the 'modern' world for better and for worse.
June 05, 2019 04:05PM
ahh.. well.. depends when you catch me.. right now I am trying to stick to say 6 a week.. Fri and Sat only... BUT in a normal week.. hmmm.. well my TV hasn't been working so to watch the NBA playoffs I gotta go to this taproom by the crib.. that is 4 right there... maybe 5 if things aren't going well... add that to the 6... we are in double figures.. and these are pints... I would say between 11 and 16 in a normal week.. sounds like it's time for an ethnicity reveal.
June 06, 2019 03:57PM
I consider myself "Ethnic Californian"

June 06, 2019 04:34PM
uh.. it is Ninja CAT.. not Ninjaman.. that is already taken BTW..

As far as ethnicity goes... the term culture vulture is the "Cali Reggae" of "woke" terminology
June 06, 2019 08:34PM
Ninja say

what is your ethnicity

Throwing down the race card is divisive. In the bigger picture race is a level, but it's a superficial level.
The indigenous 'Medicine Wheel' teaching is that the four surviving color on this planet are one race
albeit there may have been unauthorized hybridizations yet; we one family, children of a common
Grandmother & Grandfather and DNA science now prove such by vectoring all of we back to common
progenitors.

re: Gender argument. The Indigenous of N. America have always accepted gender variation; naming them
'Two Spirit.' Not a problem & not an issue. The Two Spirited are honoured.

Forever Jung

There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything,
no matter how absurd to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become
enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness
conscious.

June 06, 2019 10:01PM
But for a conversation in the twilight zone, where thelast is residing, it was appropriate. His intention, that someone reveal something possibly embarrassing in return for possibly (he did say may reveal) revealing his ethnicity(something no one should be embarrassed by) was called by Ninja, ridiculous though it was. So i'm thinking that 'ethnic californian' doesn't really fill the twilight zone bill, Ninja carefully explained his alcohol consumption in a forthright manner, it calls for thelast to fulfill his part of the bargain in the same honest manner, which he has not yet done. Something like 'white boy' seems appropriate, or eastern european mutt, or even the cop out we used to use when i was young, Alaskan Native.

None of that matters a lick, but since you offered, we're curious.

Love that reggae!
June 06, 2019 11:05PM
Greetings from the zone!!!
i'm just trying to help a fellow human...sometimes we don't see our alcoholism until its typed out in front of us.

NOMO give serious thanks for the u-tube works, it is a joy to able to revisit so many great performances and check out ones missed. I'll bet you have quite a collection of play buttons, do you put them on your wall?

also I love you all but it seems we need to brush up on our reading comprehension here. LOL

If we can get the Sizzle for SNWMF 2020 I will give you all free twelve packs of microbrewzz!

-DJ irie waverunner aka ras trent III
Nu-rootz, and tropical house mixes, plus homegrown kale and kombucha.
Podcast Available on iTunes/Podcast app or your favorite player.
HearThis.at/Iriewaverunner.com/bujubantonisfree
June 06, 2019 11:45PM
Peacemakeya.. I asked about his race because I wanted to know what it was. He asked how many mirco beers I drank because he wanted to know. I wasn't trying to paint him as a racist and I don't think he was trying to paint me as a drunk. Maybe he was, I don't know you would have to ask him. He says he is trying to help me.. who am I to refuse his assistance should I find that I need it. In this case I do not think I do. Perhaps if he asked me what my caloric intake was for any given week I may be more likely to head his advice. As of late though it has all been plant based so I am a little more liberal with the calories #plantbased. In the end no one is angry or trying to cause a rift. All is good and these little things aren't going to make any bit of difference in the end.
June 07, 2019 12:23AM
One more thing.. race isn't a "card".. it is a reality that many have to face, deal with, overcome, embrace etc. If you are looking at it from a BIG picture view is is meaningless. I mean really what many people are asking when they talk about race is what color is your skin. The reason I was asking about it is I find that many people who use term like "culture vulture" to describe people participating in the culture of another while not fully accepting every aspect of it are really trying to demonstrate that even though they share the same color of skin as the person they are accusing they are different from them. They are "not guilty" of the cultural appropriation they see with their own eyes. The reality is we all appropriate aspects of culture, politics, religion, diet.. all the time. I don't have to accept the Caste system in India to enjoy Tandori Chicken. We do it in music probably more than any other area of life. And so long as you aren't boxing the source out and attempting to replace them I see no problem with it.
June 07, 2019 02:48AM
Maybe Queen Ifrica did get cancelled?

Urbanislandz.com

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 07, 2019 02:03PM
I heard she did actually get the boot.
June 07, 2019 07:18PM
Nomo

a conversation in the twilight zone

But what if we need look into the realities of life as we know it on Planet Earth in peril going full-on Twilight Zone ?

According to a 19th century legend, "the Truth and the Lie meet one day. The Lie says to the Truth: "It's a marvellous day today"! The Truth looks up to the skies and sighs, for the day was really beautiful. They spend a lot of time together, ultimately arriving beside a well. The Lie tells the Truth: "The water is very nice, let's take a bath together!" The Truth, once again suspicious, tests the water and discovers that it indeed is very nice. They undress and start bathing. Suddenly, the Lie comes out of the water, puts on the clothes of the Truth and runs away. The furious Truth comes out of the well and runs everywhere to find the Lie and to get her clothes back. The World, seeing the Truth naked, turns its gaze away, with contempt and rage. The poor Truth returns to the well and disappears forever, hiding therein, its shame. Since then, the Lie travels around the world, dressed as the Truth, satisfying the needs of society, because, the World, in any case, harbours no wish at all to meet the naked Truth." - anon

June 07, 2019 07:55PM
Peacemakeya

Is it just me, or is that a Nyabinghi drum at 0:24?

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound
June 14, 2019 01:49AM
You can't homogenize belief and make everyone parrot the same line, that is fascism or brainwashing or groupthink and people will resent you for it by creating a strong backlash against your cause. Norms are socially determined and ratified, the court of public opinion is open, there are those there to manipulate the perceptions at every point, happy viewing campers!!!
June 14, 2019 03:49PM
Strikkly people aren't "better" because they have one skin color or another. It is the content of their character that determines this... Take that line and go parrot it around the world. Go call it what you will "brainwashing or groupthink". IF it causes backlash, those people can kick rocks and fry ice at the same time.

This is an example of how there are beliefs that should be universally accepted in order for humanity to reach its full potential
June 14, 2019 04:00PM
June 14, 2019 11:52PM
Peacemakeya: I love that 19th century legend you posted! I never heard that one and it is quite wise!

and AztecRasta: Those are 3 of my favorite Midnite/Akae Beka tunes, especially 'Love is Among' and 'New Race' (the latter is my favorite off the great Hail the King album.) Well Done!
June 15, 2019 06:32AM

we don't play
June 15, 2019 06:38AM
also this music ain't no tndooori chicken...
Romans 12:21
June 18, 2019 12:59AM
DJ Spleece
Peacemakeya

Is it just me, or is that a Nyabinghi drum at 0:24?

Heartbeat in the Twilight Zone.....
June 18, 2019 01:01AM
Ninja
This is an example of how there are beliefs that should be universally accepted in order for humanity to reach its full potential

Amen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login