Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some of my Faves

Posted by jcom 
Some of my Faves
May 19, 2019 05:09PM
I'm not gonna do the tit for tat with the Cali Roots B.S. just because I posted some Stick Figure vids and Inwas told that I suck. I'm Blind to you Haters. Here are a few of my faves:

Dennis Brown, Jacob Miller, Alpha Blondy, Bitty McClean, Culture, Original Gladiators & Clinton Fearon, Misty in Roots, Mighty Diamonds, Sugar Minott, Steel Pulse, Abyssinians, Israel Vibration, Army, Aswad, Barrington Levy, Johnny Clarke, Johnny Osbourne, Bim Sherman, Black Uhuru, Bunny Wailer, Gregory Isaacs, Max Romeo, Frankie Paul, Luciano, Nasio Fontaine, The Mighty Threes, Yabby You, Wailing Souls, Itals, Twinkle Brothers, etc., etc., etc. I like Roots.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 06:09PM by jcom.
Re: Some of my Faves
May 19, 2019 08:43PM
Great list.....I like your choices!
May 19, 2019 10:45PM
I do too. Then i counted out of the 27 artists you mentioned, i have video of 13 of them. Sweet.

Love that reggae!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 09:26PM by nomotrouble.
May 21, 2019 01:20AM
Means a lot coming from you guys. Have seen you filming for years and years NoMo. You know your roots brethren. My list could be a lot bigger, but these were just off the top of my head. Bless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 09:58AM by jcom.
May 21, 2019 04:33PM
JCom , we've reasoned back and forth for years-no need to ratify your affinity of the roots of things to me...you've always spoken your mind and let the chips fall. I had no qualms about hyping INKA INKA and Roots Tonic back in the day-would they be classified as Cali reggae?

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 21, 2019 04:39PM
@PapaKen - ha ha re Inka Inka and Spiderman. I saw them live a couple times, in Utah of all places! You are making me feel old ; ) Thanks for the feedback and memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 05:04PM by jcom.
May 21, 2019 06:42PM
big man papaken
JCom , we've reasoned back and forth for years-no need to ratify your affinity of the roots of things to me...you've always spoken your mind and let the chips fall. I had no qualms about hyping INKA INKA and Roots Tonic back in the day-would they be classified as Cali reggae?

i just posted this in the "what is cali reggae" thread:

"your mind is not dirty so don't let no one wash your brain." -inka inka, "brainwash"

always loved that intro, but actually preferred the song "coo pon jah" from the same LP...good roots music.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
May 22, 2019 01:33AM
^^^ I have all their albums. Coo Pon Jah brings back some old, old memories. Good stuff.
May 22, 2019 02:21PM
for me as well, jcom!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
May 22, 2019 04:30PM
Everytime I turn around :

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 22, 2019 09:52PM
this is memories for me.

May 24, 2019 04:55PM
^^^ Love the flight girls.
May 24, 2019 05:44PM
Memories will keep popping into my mind on this thread. I believe it was 1990?? But it was a show at Snowbird, UT. Lucky Dube, Peter Broggs, Mighty Diamonds, and Charlie Chaplain. RIP to Lucky, who was killed in a car jacking in South Africa...hope they caught that @#$%&(s) and they got beaten to all hell. RIP to Peter Broggs's as well. Remember this cassette player? This was what I was getting powder face shots boarding to back in the day....yes, cassettes. P.S. - Lucky Dube carjackers were caught and sentenced to life in prison...props to those that caught them.

[i.ebayimg.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 05:48PM by jcom.
May 24, 2019 09:06PM

No vid intro, but check it:

[vimeo.com]

Then Geto Boys:

June 04, 2019 08:28PM
Memories will keep popping into my mind on this thread. I believe it was 1990?? But it was a show at Snowbird, UT. Lucky Dube, Peter Broggs, Mighty Diamonds, and Charlie Chaplain. RIP to Lucky, who was killed in a car jacking in South Africa...hope they caught that @#$%&(s) and they got beaten to all hell. RIP to Peter Broggs's as well. Remember this cassette player? This was what I was getting powder face shots boarding to back in the day....yes, cassettes. P.S. - Lucky Dube carjackers were caught and sentenced to life in prison...props to those that caught them.

That's was an epic show right there in Snowbird- I caught Charlie Chaplin with Mutabaruka and the Mighty Diamonds (minus Tabby) in a little club in Dallas back in 1990-91. ....A buddy of mine and I recorded Lucky Dube's 1st to last performance ever in the US at Denver's Reggae on the Rocks in 2007- such a tragic thing -his death.

Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 05, 2019 02:13AM
one of the best live in-studio interviews we ever did was with lucky dube in maybe 1990 or so; he was promoting his "prisoner" release i think. kboo let us come in and do a special show in the middle of the day; this was back when we were on in the middle of the week, middle of the night.
i still can't believe we were so fortunate as to meet and really have a nice, long discussion with him, on and off air. his show that night in portland was incredible.
his death was such a tragedy, just a massive loss for reggae music in general, and reggae music in africa in particular.

just as an aside, i remember asking him about his name lucky and he said that it was actually a very common name in south africa.

i laugh as i remember boycotting wikipedia for years, because the first time i ever got on wikipedia was after an article on lucky dube had a link that led me there. i read about how (supposedly) his mom named him lucky after having several unsuccessful pregnancies. what a bunch of baloney. i know as much from my conversation with him, but really, just think about it -- as if the western definition of "lucky" actually meant lucky in zulu or xhosa or whatever their families traditional language is (can't remember offhand what it is, sorry). pretty stupid.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login