Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stick Figure

Posted by jcom 
Stick Figure
May 12, 2019 01:58AM
Saw them at RedRocks. Had no idea how good they are and I was blown away. Worthy of headline, or on deck, at SNWMF.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2019 02:04AM by jcom.
Re: Stick Figure
May 12, 2019 11:07AM
not a huge fan of most Cali type Reggae bands (don't hate 'em either), but gotta admit I DO like Stick Figure's sound. Play them a lot of my radio show.
Jah Son
May 12, 2019 07:23PM
Stick Figure is more a one man operation than people think
May 12, 2019 07:29PM
Agreed, Scott is a true prodigy, but his band has stuck together for quite a while now. Scott is a self taught guitarist, bassist, keyboards, and producer. Stick Figure was his High School nickname. He's from Massachusetts, I believe.

I, too, am not a big fan of the Cali explosion. However, I do like Stick and Tribal Seeds a lot, and I have to give props to Slightly Stoopid. Rebelution is kinda cheesy to me and I'm not a fan of SOJA.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 09:33PM by jcom.
May 13, 2019 04:01AM
I totally agree jcom. I tend to dislike pretty much all Cali Roots bands (I like to refer to it as Surf Reggae), but Stick Figure immediately stood out to me and are the exception. That Scott guy is very talented and humble!
May 13, 2019 03:18PM
Just my opinion.. all of these "cali reggae" bands are talented. If they had black skin and spoke in patois MOST people would love them and be quite happy with their popularity. Instead like most things in this country.. race plays a major factor in how things are viewed.
May 13, 2019 09:37PM
^^^ I guarantee if Stick Figure was on the sound systems in a Jamaican or any other island bar...nearly everyone would be like "Damn, this @#$%& is bangin". Oh, I don't like Pepper either. They have a misogynistic message that people were not down with at Redrocks. Lots of mention of pussy and vagina. A lot of the peeps, including our crew, sat down and weren't into them at all, especially right after Steel Pulse. Then Stick Figure came on and the venue was glowing!
May 14, 2019 12:44AM
A lot of people on this phorum are pretty cool, but I’m not a big fan of Jcom. He sucks. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs down
May 14, 2019 02:29AM
not to kill the vibes but i tried to listen to those 2 songs you posted and it does not do it for me. and its not because of the guy skin color but thanks for sharing anyway i didn't know those guys
May 14, 2019 04:54PM
Hard pass.
May 14, 2019 05:19PM
Ninja
Just my opinion.. all of these "cali reggae" bands are talented. If they had black skin and spoke in patois MOST people would love them and be quite happy with their popularity. Instead like most things in this country.. race plays a major factor in how things are viewed.

lol ^
May 14, 2019 05:59PM
RinsedRiddims
Ninja

lol ^

If Cali Reggea bands had black skin and spoke in patois, they would not be part of the genre known as Cali Reggae. It has less to do with your location and much more to do with the lyrical subject matter and overall sound. Basically they prefer a high nasal register and a lot of light topic, non-spiritual subjects. It is like the bubble gum music of reggae. A pass for me as well, except...Stick Figure.
May 14, 2019 06:27PM
treez
A lot of people on this phorum are pretty cool, but I’m not a big fan of Jcom. He sucks. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs down

Ever since the "stresshall" dayz...............lol
May 14, 2019 08:19PM
SommerKind
RinsedRiddims
Ninja

lol ^

If Cali Reggea bands had black skin and spoke in patois, they would not be part of the genre known as Cali Reggae. It has less to do with your location and much more to do with the lyrical subject matter and overall sound. Basically they prefer a high nasal register and a lot of light topic, non-spiritual subjects. It is like the bubble gum music of reggae. A pass for me as well, except...Stick Figure.

Thank you for the intelligent answer. It is a totally different type of music and for myself and others it is not our cup of tea.

Here is a nice video of a "whitey" singing some Sanchez and getting a massive forward from the crowd.. He sounds good AF

May 14, 2019 08:55PM
I guess 'I suck'
May 15, 2019 02:56AM
No you don't suck Jcom. we all have different music taste and its good, can you imagine 8 billions people liking the same thing. that would sucksmiling smiley cheers!
May 15, 2019 02:13PM
SommerKind said it best! (best definition, imho.)
SommereKind
although i have not been that high on Stick Figure since his very first album... the new tune with Pepper is jus plain bad (my opinion)...
as for a white patois using reggae band that is good i'd go with Northern Italy's Rusty Rockerz (or even Mellow Mood, for that matter) - (they even speak better patois than our "reggae bands" here [when they do use it]! lol)

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 02:17PM by Ras Danny.
May 15, 2019 02:53PM
Treez and can go blow himself. Stresshall still sucks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 05:14PM by jcom.
May 15, 2019 05:06PM
if the only idea of spiritual you have is saying JAH.. Rastafari and calling things Babylon that have nothing to do with Babylon then I guess that would be correct. You got bands from the Carolina's being called Cali Reggae. The most Cali Reggae thing on this thread is calling Dance Hall "stress hall". So just checking though.. is Collie Buddz "Cali Reggae"? due to his light topics and lack of spiritual commentary? Most of the Spiritual Commentary coming out of reggae music sounds like it is part of the Republican Party platform. Anti Abortion, Anti Gay.. anti sexual expression in general. I prefer light commentary and bubble gum to someone telling someone else they are going to burn in hell for who they are.

People don't have to like a certain band, I used to think there was some objectivity to music but I have given up on that. There just isn't. People can like what they like. I just wish the tern Cali Reggae was used more as an adjective and less as a slur.
May 16, 2019 02:28AM
I’ll give that a try, thanks.

I just don’t think it’s good form to get on here and diss bands you don’t like.
May 16, 2019 05:38AM
I do agree that you could have picked some better videos to share jcom. Here are 2 I like from Stick Figure:

May 16, 2019 12:50PM
I was just trying to share. Lots of peanut gallery 'behind the computer screen' haters here. Good vids though ^^^

Still listening to the Stick Figure albums I downloaded and gaining respect. They were simply incredible at Red Rocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 05:55PM by jcom.
May 16, 2019 06:08PM
It's all good brothers & sisters. People can like and listen to whatever they wish. Stick Figure aren't from the Caribbean and don't praise Rastafari and what not, but you can tell the man Scott is a spiritual dude in his own way. Bless...
May 16, 2019 08:46PM
^^^ this
May 17, 2019 02:50AM
spiritual and dog lover that's fosho.
May 17, 2019 06:03PM
Ninja
is Collie Buddz "Cali Reggae"? due to his light topics and lack of spiritual commentary?

Great question. IMO, Collie Buddz is not Cali Reggae. He is from Bermuda and his music is internationally recognized. He does clearly fit in nicely with a Cali Reggae line up. I think a better example is someone like Jah Sun. He is from Cali, is white and you can understand his lyrics, but he does not really have a Cali Reggae sound nor does he fit in with those type of line ups. I would not consider him Cali Reggae either.

Ninja
Most of the Spiritual Commentary coming out of reggae music sounds like it is part of the Republican Party platform. Anti Abortion, Anti Gay.. anti sexual expression in general. I prefer light commentary and bubble gum to someone telling someone else they are going to burn in hell for who they are.

I could not agree more with this statement. And I really think this hits the nail on the head for this conversation as most Americans relate to the lyrics in Cali Reggae more than Jamaican Roots Reggae because of their lifestyle. Not to mention they can understand the lyrics.

Ninja
People don't have to like a certain band, I used to think there was some objectivity to music but I have given up on that. There just isn't. People can like what they like. I just wish the tern Cali Reggae was used more as an adjective and less as a slur.

I think you are fighting a losing battle here on a forum like this. I think we all agree to the each his own philosophy, but this is a Roots oriented forum for a Roots oriented festy. Personally, I have a difficult time disrespecting anyone who puts their art out on display as that in itself is respectable. I see how these Cali Reggae bands have paid their dues by touring extensively and building their fan bases organically by connecting with people and I have massive respect for this as an artist myself. I will say that Stick Figure does stand out in the genre as one of the more talented bands. On the other hand, I connect much more with Roots Reggae and you will rarely hear me running Cali Roots, not because of the genre, but because I play music that sounds good to my ear.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 17, 2019 07:42PM
word Treez...as a contrarian by nature I tend to always be looking up the hill.. even when I get to the top..
May 17, 2019 08:12PM
DJ Treez
Ninja
is Collie Buddz "Cali Reggae"? due to his light topics and lack of spiritual commentary?

Great question. IMO, Collie Buddz is not Cali Reggae. He is from Bermuda and his music is internationally recognized. He does clearly fit in nicely with a Cali Reggae line up. I think a better example is someone like Jah Sun. He is from Cali, is white and you can understand his lyrics, but he does not really have a Cali Reggae sound nor does he fit in with those type of line ups. I would not consider him Cali Reggae either.

Ninja
Most of the Spiritual Commentary coming out of reggae music sounds like it is part of the Republican Party platform. Anti Abortion, Anti Gay.. anti sexual expression in general. I prefer light commentary and bubble gum to someone telling someone else they are going to burn in hell for who they are.

I could not agree more with this statement. And I really think this hits the nail on the head for this conversation as most Americans relate to the lyrics in Cali Reggae more than Jamaican Roots Reggae because of their lifestyle. Not to mention they can understand the lyrics.

Ninja

I think you are fighting a losing battle here on a forum like this. I think we all agree to the each his own philosophy, but this is a Roots oriented forum for a Roots oriented festy. Personally, I have a difficult time disrespecting anyone who puts their art out on display as that in itself is respectable. I see how these Cali Reggae bands have paid their dues by touring extensively and building their fan bases organically by connecting with people and I have massive respect for this as an artist myself. I will say that Stick Figure does stand out in the genre as one of the more talented bands. On the other hand, I connect much more with Roots Reggae and you will rarely hear me running Cali Roots, not because of the genre, but because I play music that sounds good to my ear.

Very well said my friend.
May 20, 2019 09:24PM
I have to say...as a 25+ year Roots Reggae "purist," I was touched by the songs posted here by Stick Figure. Dude has real talent and is definitely a spiritual guy. You will not find me at Cali Roots, but I now have some respect for some of these bands, including Stick Figure.
May 20, 2019 09:59PM

Not I, speak your mind and let the chips fall where they may. I can consider a position without fully endorsing it.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 21, 2019 01:19AM
Cheers to Joseph Daniel. Not all roots reggae is Rasta and has to sign to that. I found a new liking for Stick Figure cause they're not trying to be Rasta, they don't claim to be, but they have that excellent rhythm that hits me the right way. Was just sharing some of the music we all love.
May 24, 2019 06:03PM
Ninja
if the only idea of spiritual you have is saying JAH.. Rastafari and calling things Babylon that have nothing to do with Babylon then I guess that would be correct. You got bands from the Carolina's being called Cali Reggae. The most Cali Reggae thing on this thread is calling Dance Hall "stress hall". So just checking though.. is Collie Buddz "Cali Reggae"? due to his light topics and lack of spiritual commentary? Most of the Spiritual Commentary coming out of reggae music sounds like it is part of the Republican Party platform. Anti Abortion, Anti Gay.. anti sexual expression in general. I prefer light commentary and bubble gum to someone telling someone else they are going to burn in hell for who they are.

No, "Stress Hall" to me is Elephant Man, Bounty Killer, Ninja Man, etc. To me, it's not reggae. If you like it, great, cheers to you...there's just a reason they don't have these guys (for the most part) perform at SNWMF. It's stressful, hateful, misogynist, anti-gay, etc music. It doesn't flow well after hearing someone like Bitty McClean, Mighty Diamonds, Alpha Blondy, Max Romeo, etc. Just my humble opinion.

Side Note to Treez, since you told me that "jcom sucks", well, right back at you. I didn't criticize you.

To the rest, listen to these two vids and feel free to chime in on which is easier to your ears. Bless on whatever hits you the right way:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 06:20PM by jcom.
May 24, 2019 07:43PM
I guess to put it nicely.. you don't get to decide what reggae is.. you are not qualified to make that assessment. You certainly are entitled to your opinion of what you like and don't like. You don't get to decided that a very large portion of reggae culture and the Jamaican culture in particular is not reggae. as far as them not playing at SNWMF.. ok great.. they have played Summerjam, Sumfest, Reggae Sting, ROTR, Rebel Salute.. and most importantly they have inspired most Musicians out of Jamaica and around the globe than you can count. It might cause you stress.. ok, I am not going to tell you what should and shouldn't stress you out. IF you think that SNWMF has never had anti gay, aniti woman.. anti progressive humans play this festival than you haven't been paying attention for the last 20 years.
May 24, 2019 08:01PM
jcom
Ninja

No, "Stress Hall" to me is Elephant Man, Bounty Killer, Ninja Man, etc. To me, it's not reggae. If you like it, great, cheers to you...there's just a reason they don't have these guys (for the most part) perform at SNWMF. It's stressful, hateful, misogynist, anti-gay, etc music. It doesn't flow well after hearing someone like Bitty McClean, Mighty Diamonds, Alpha Blondy, Max Romeo, etc. Just my humble opinion.

Side Note to Treez, since you told me that "jcom sucks", well, right back at you. I didn't criticize you.

To the rest, listen to these two vids and feel free to chime in on which is easier to your ears. Bless on whatever hits you the right way:

I think there’s room for everybody and their tastes. Music is in the ear of the beholder... someone can pound rocks and it sounds good to them

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 24, 2019 08:30PM
^^^ What Matches said. I listen to all these with 'different love' in different settings:

No vid intro, but check it:

[vimeo.com]

Then Geto Boys:

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 09:00PM by jcom.
May 24, 2019 10:07PM
Ha! Thanks jcom! Happy Friday!
May 24, 2019 10:40PM
^^^ Cheers. FYI Cali Roots is streaming live on YouTube. I'm gonna watch Stick Figure...ha ha! Bless all!

Anyone paying attention, The Green is wrapping up and Steel Pulse is up in the next few minutes....(I don't get the Atmosphere lining above Steel Pulse but, again, times are changing). Love me some hip-hop and rap, but it's hard for me to change my 'roots vibe' into instant hard core stuff. Just me. We are all different and blessings to all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 10:48PM by jcom.
May 25, 2019 03:35AM
K, watching Cali Roots live on YouTube. Was never a big Ben Harper fan, but he has grown up a lot and I like him more now...and he kept talkin about 'fried chicken'....I'll never hate on that!!, love it...but watch Stick Figure after this and see what you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 03:39AM by jcom.
May 25, 2019 05:50AM
Wow, Half Pint cameo with "Greetings"? Um....wow. Nuff said.
May 25, 2019 08:57PM
May 25, 2019 11:13PM
Ok, I can see the appeal of his sound. I have always skipped his show and this was the first time seeing him live online. Respect to the artist Stick Figure but it’s not something I would buy, see live, or listen to again.

Half Pint dropping by was cool and the tour dog on stage was most entertaining.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 26, 2019 03:58AM
"Buy, See Live"...got it. But "Never listen to again" ??? Confounding to me. Yes, love Cocao the Tour Dog.
May 26, 2019 04:06AM
Ok jcom, if we were in a car and you had it on-I would listen to it. But not purposely play it-I’m not a fan.

Why don’t more people like Slayer?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 27, 2019 01:43PM
jcom
Wow, Half Pint cameo with "Greetings"? Um....wow. Nuff said.

I feel like I have seen Half Pint do that Cameo with a lot of "Cali Roots" bands
May 29, 2019 02:48AM
treez
I’ll give that a try, thanks.

I just don’t think it’s good form to get on here and diss bands you don’t like.

I just don't think it's in good form to get on here and tell someone "they suck"
May 29, 2019 02:00PM
forgive and forget.. well forgive and faintly remember
June 05, 2019 05:00AM
Seriously ninja you are not that slow, no one is grudging white people's Cali reggae, they would not be dope if only they were black, what a ridiculous assertion.
Race dictates the story that people tell in this society. The story of the artist dictates people's interest in your story. This is music 101, rap 101, reggae 101. Your posts are trolling..
June 05, 2019 01:52PM
J-Com,

Go back and read the sequencing of commentary. You diss bands by calling Rebelution "cheesy," and THEN I diss you. If you can't take stones, don't throw them.
June 05, 2019 04:07PM
yeah so strikkly can you name one black "Cali reggae band"? I will wait.

It is funny though that you call it "white people's Cali Reggae"
June 06, 2019 12:09AM
treez
J-Com,

Go back and read the sequencing of commentary. You diss bands by calling Rebelution "cheesy," and THEN I diss you. If you can't take stones, don't throw them.

To me, there is a vast difference between giving my somewhat subtle opinion of a band by saying I think Rebelution is "kinda cheesy" as opposed to calling out a person on this forum (as I was) and telling them, directly, that they (I) suck.
June 06, 2019 03:21PM
So, you're saying it's cool for you to come on here and dismiss Rebelution as "cheesy?" (A band that is a very accomplished, has dedicated their lives to reggae music, and developed their own unique sound worthy of respect by any account....even if it's not your cup of tea).

But, when I come here and say you suck for posting some chatty BS, that's not cool? I disagree. In fact, I would have more respect if you went on Rebelution's FB page and told them directly that their music is cheesy, instead of doing so here.
June 06, 2019 03:24PM
F- Rebelution You guys are a bunch of grown up Adult cry babies . Let it go.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 03:33PM by Ras Matches.
June 06, 2019 03:28PM
all babies cry.. just sayin
June 06, 2019 03:48PM

So, you're saying it's cool for you to come on here and dismiss Rebelution as "cheesy?" (A band that is a very accomplished, has dedicated their lives to reggae music, and developed their own unique sound worthy of respect by any account....even if it's not your cup of tea).

But, when I come here and say you suck for posting some chatty BS, that's not cool? I disagree. In fact, I would have more respect if you went on Rebelution's FB page and told them directly that their music is cheesy, instead of doing so here.

Just to be clear, as moderator of this phorum, I give far more leeway regarding negative/derogatory comments about a band, an artist or music they don't like than I would if they made the same comments regarding a fellow boardie or poster. My reason for doing so is twofold: First, this is a message board for people to talk about music and it would be ridiculous to insist ones and ones only say 'good things' about artists. In addition, an artist is a 'public figure' who opens himself/herself up to such criticism.

So, it's fine to say that Midnite sucks but please refrain from saying that about fellow boardies. Personally, I view music as both an art and a form of expression, and I have great respect for people who are willing to go down that path. Accordingly, you would be hard pressed to find me posting negative comments about an artist or band as I prefer to focus on the things I like instead....
June 06, 2019 04:38PM
as the moderator do you have to read all this stuff? All the time? Geez.. that would be tough
June 06, 2019 04:48PM
Ninja
all babies cry.. just sayin

June 06, 2019 05:16PM
seems reasonable
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login