Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix

Posted by niceup 
The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix
May 08, 2019 03:59AM
The Musical Instrument Museum is a must visit for any music lover. It is an absolutely amazing museum where you could spend multiple days exploring. It is hard to describe how great the place is. They have around 14,000 instruments from over 200 countries, 7,000 of which are on display at any given time. You are given a wireless headset that you wear throughout the museum and as you come into proximity of each exhibit you hear music being played while watching the performance on a flat screen TV with the instruments being played on display around the TVs. There are exhibits from nearly every country in the world separated into continents and regions, an artist gallery, an instrument gallery, and a hands on gallery where you can play all kinds of instruments.

In addition, The MIM has a 300 seat theater with superb acoustics. I've been to a fair amount of shows in my time and the acoustics at The MIM are as good as anywhere I've ever seen a show. They had > 250 concerts last year from every genre of music imaginable. I've seen artists from Vusi Mahlasela to the Blind Boys of Alabama to Preservation Hall Jazz Band to Los Lobos perform there. They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

AJ.......let me know if you make it up for this show. If you haven't made it up to Phx for a show yet, this is a great one to do if for. I'll be there for sure.

Here is an example of one of the performances on display in the Myanmar exhibit. They had a circle drum that looked exactly like the one in the video on display as well.

Re: The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix
May 08, 2019 07:22PM
that is greatness
May 08, 2019 09:30PM
Thanks for taking me there niceup.....What an amazing museum. Wish I could make it down for the F.M. show, should be magical.
AJ
May 12, 2019 02:26PM
niceup
They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

AJ.......let me know if you make it up for this show. If you haven't made it up to Phx for a show yet, this is a great one to do if for. I'll be there for sure.

niceup.......Thanks for the heads up on the Freddie McGregor show!
We bought tickets. Lets try to hook up before the show....in the bar @ MIM? (bar opens at 6:00) or any other ideas you might have.
BTW.....show is on Sunday, May 26th (not the 25th) winking smiley

Yes MIM is an incredible music museum. We were there in February for about 3 1/2 hours....could've easily spent a few more hours.

Cheers
May 19, 2019 12:20AM
THIS - WILL BE AMAZING!

ENJOY!
May 19, 2019 02:21AM
AJ
niceup
They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

niceup.......Thanks for the heads up on the Freddie McGregor show!
We bought tickets. Lets try to hook up before the show....in the bar @ MIM? (bar opens at 6:00) or any other ideas you might have.
BTW.....show is on Sunday, May 26th (not the 25th) winking smiley

Yes MIM is an incredible music museum. We were there in February for about 3 1/2 hours....could've easily spent a few more hours.

Cheers

AJ....Id love to meet up before the show. The bar at The MIM is just a portable bar set up in the atrium just outside the doors to the theater. It looks like there is a Whining Pig at Desert Ridge just north of there. It’s a good beer and wine bar and it’s less than 5 minutes from the show. I’ll should be down there by 5 or so with my wife and brother-in-law. I’ll PM you my contact info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login