Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix

Posted by niceup 
The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix
May 08, 2019 03:59AM
The Musical Instrument Museum is a must visit for any music lover. It is an absolutely amazing museum where you could spend multiple days exploring. It is hard to describe how great the place is. They have around 14,000 instruments from over 200 countries, 7,000 of which are on display at any given time. You are given a wireless headset that you wear throughout the museum and as you come into proximity of each exhibit you hear music being played while watching the performance on a flat screen TV with the instruments being played on display around the TVs. There are exhibits from nearly every country in the world separated into continents and regions, an artist gallery, an instrument gallery, and a hands on gallery where you can play all kinds of instruments.

In addition, The MIM has a 300 seat theater with superb acoustics. I've been to a fair amount of shows in my time and the acoustics at The MIM are as good as anywhere I've ever seen a show. They had > 250 concerts last year from every genre of music imaginable. I've seen artists from Vusi Mahlasela to the Blind Boys of Alabama to Preservation Hall Jazz Band to Los Lobos perform there. They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

AJ.......let me know if you make it up for this show. If you haven't made it up to Phx for a show yet, this is a great one to do if for. I'll be there for sure.

Here is an example of one of the performances on display in the Myanmar exhibit. They had a circle drum that looked exactly like the one in the video on display as well.

Re: The Musical Instrument Museum - Freddie McGregor 5/25 - Phoenix
May 08, 2019 07:22PM
that is greatness
May 08, 2019 09:30PM
Thanks for taking me there niceup.....What an amazing museum. Wish I could make it down for the F.M. show, should be magical.
AJ
May 12, 2019 02:26PM
niceup
They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

AJ.......let me know if you make it up for this show. If you haven't made it up to Phx for a show yet, this is a great one to do if for. I'll be there for sure.

niceup.......Thanks for the heads up on the Freddie McGregor show!
We bought tickets. Lets try to hook up before the show....in the bar @ MIM? (bar opens at 6:00) or any other ideas you might have.
BTW.....show is on Sunday, May 26th (not the 25th) winking smiley

Yes MIM is an incredible music museum. We were there in February for about 3 1/2 hours....could've easily spent a few more hours.

Cheers
May 19, 2019 12:20AM
THIS - WILL BE AMAZING!

ENJOY!
May 19, 2019 02:21AM
AJ
niceup
They have been a little light on reggae shows but they just announced Freddie McGregor will be performing at The MIM on Sunday, May 25th. It should be a wicked show.

niceup.......Thanks for the heads up on the Freddie McGregor show!
We bought tickets. Lets try to hook up before the show....in the bar @ MIM? (bar opens at 6:00) or any other ideas you might have.
BTW.....show is on Sunday, May 26th (not the 25th) winking smiley

Yes MIM is an incredible music museum. We were there in February for about 3 1/2 hours....could've easily spent a few more hours.

Cheers

AJ....Id love to meet up before the show. The bar at The MIM is just a portable bar set up in the atrium just outside the doors to the theater. It looks like there is a Whining Pig at Desert Ridge just north of there. It’s a good beer and wine bar and it’s less than 5 minutes from the show. I’ll should be down there by 5 or so with my wife and brother-in-law. I’ll PM you my contact info.
May 20, 2019 04:48PM
That would be a treat to see Freddie in Phoenix ! Wish i could join you guys.... The Big Ship was just here headlining the Austin Reggae Festival - he was in fine form and in a great mood

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 07:26PM by papaken.
AJ
May 20, 2019 11:02PM
niceup......check your pm

What's up papaken!

Cheers
March 05, 2020 06:41AM

A late review on this one. Really great show. Freddie McGregor played hit after hit finishing with a Dennis Brown medley. He was in a great mood with a big smile the entire show. The sound at this venue is as good as it gets. It was great to meet AJ and Nancy before the show.

If we should be fortunate enough to be able to experience another SNWMF, there is nobody I'd rather see headline than Freddie McGregor.
March 05, 2020 03:26PM
the museum looks incredible; something i'd love to check out. i am assuming the museum is a permanent fixture?

also, how nice to be able to catch freddie mcgregor...he's been on my snwmf wish list for so many years! i haven't seen him now in decades, but his recent (ish) material still sounds incredible.

i got to see the sizable "island revolution" exhibit at the experience music project in seattle back in 2001. it was absolutely incredible; there was so much to see and take-in that it really couldn't all be done it a day. there were also lots of artists roaming the place and i was able to thank a few of them, including the man like johnny "dizzy" moore who we sat with for awhile, for all the goodness of their art and the huge contribution of music they gave to everyone.

thanks for the post and review, niceup!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
March 05, 2020 07:26PM
Freddie played a pair of small club shows at Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz in 2018 and 2019. His band is great and he's got the best stage vibe live. A superb performer. Always a favorite.
March 06, 2020 02:10AM
I’m Just not sure why we don’t get to see more of him in the bay? He’s by far one of my favorite artists of all time, and unfortunately I’ve only seen him a couple of times. Any idea why he doesn’t make the trod to NorCal?
March 06, 2020 03:21PM
Similar to Beres Hammond, Freddie has a huge following in Florida and the East Coast and draws far more peeps than when they trod west...
AJ
March 08, 2020 06:47PM
niceup.....It was really wonderful to meet you and your wife!
Thank you for the heads up on this Freddie show.
It was really good to hear some good old classic reggae again after such a long time without any.
I have seen Freddie McGregor plenty of times since 1983 and will go see him again and again. Irie vibes every time.
And what a museum! I had no idea what to expect.....incredible.
We did go back to the MIM for the Cape Verde singer Lucibela last fall......it was really great....amazing concert hall.
Phoenix has plenty to offer with MIM, The Desert Botanical Garden and Taliesin West ~ The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.
Next on the Phoenix hit-list is The Heard Museum. Love Arizona!
Thanks again niceup!

Cheers
AJ
March 09, 2020 02:13PM
mosquito killer
the museum looks incredible; something i'd love to check out. i am assuming the museum is a permanent fixture?

Yes......MIM is a permanent fixture.
You'll need at least 3 to 4 hours if not more to check it out.
Plus they do have food service, gift shop and plenty of parking.

Cheers
March 09, 2020 06:38PM
thanks AJ; i'd love to check it out sometime.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
March 12, 2020 07:00AM
mk - Like AJ said, you can spend many, many hours there and not come close to seeing it all. We were there for 3 hours and didn't come close to getting to everything. Make sure you see a show whenever you make it down to The MIM. They had >270 concerts last year so there will always be something. The JA exhibit was actually a bit lacking when we went but one of their curators went down to JA and met with producers and sound engineers and they have since massively updated the exhibit. I'm going to take a couple of my cousins there at the end of the month and I'm looking forward to checking it out and seeing the rest of the museum.

Jamaica Display Updates to Highlight Reggae Music Production

I hadn't seen Freddie McGregor live until recently when he played twice in AZ in 10 months. He has such a great voice and is such a great performer.

AJ - Good to hear from you. There a three great, and really different, shows coming up in PHX soon. I'll be at all three. Let me know if you are going to make it up to any of them. I really don't know which of these shows I'm most looking forward to, all great artists that know how to put on a show.

3/29 - Kabaka Pyramid @ Last Exit Live
4/8 - Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 @ The MIM
4/11 - Las Chollas Peligrosas @ Scottsdale Center for the Arts

Las Chollas Peligrosas are an amazing string sextet that play all kinds of Latin music from Cumbia to Rumba to Mariachi to Manu Chao covers. Should SNWMF ever return, they would be a perfect addition to all of the bands that have killed it on the Village Stage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login