Advanced

Reggae on the River 2019

Posted by Ras Matches 
Reggae on the River 2019
April 25, 2019 07:20PM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Reggae on the River 2019
April 29, 2019 08:34PM
If the High Times guys put the herbs down long enough to promote their festival, they might attract people. Almost May and no info at all? Apparently they are new to the whole festival thing....
April 29, 2019 10:55PM
They’re up for permit review this Thursday. They don’t have the permit yet. Maybe Reggae always gets the permit this “late”?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 03, 2019 05:59PM
tickets always went on sale March 1st.. Line up came a month or two after that.... this is not a good sign for the viability of reggae on the North Coast.. which is a shame because it is the most fitting place to have festivals.. Losing these two festivals in one year... not good.. even if one of them is just on hiatus.
May 03, 2019 06:05PM
Tix are up.

https://reggaeontheriver.com/

Line up is not.
May 03, 2019 08:00PM
Oh.. well then.. they sell tickets before they get the permit?? seems dodgy
May 04, 2019 02:24PM
They got their permit on Thursday night. They also got a permit for cannabis sales at the fest.
May 04, 2019 09:16PM
I miss the good ol days when you could just walk over to Bob Marley blvd and grab some foot long nugs when you ran out or forgot to bring your own herb.

The Cannabis Village is bringing sand to the beach.

Edit: it’s been a little more subdued and hidden the past several years but it used to be an open air market

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 09:26PM by Ras Matches.
May 04, 2019 09:19PM
Oh I don't think that is going to end RasMatches.........
May 04, 2019 09:23PM
And the $40 parking, I’m gonna miss that too. $100 bucks now

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 05, 2019 10:19PM
No lineup and outrageous parking fees? Good luck getting a crowd this year
May 06, 2019 08:35PM
lets be realistic.. the parking is for what 3 to 4 days? Try parking your can in any city USA for 100 bucks for 3 to 4 days. Realistically you will probably have 2-4 people in your car.. that isn't the most "outrageous" thing I have heard of. The Line Up will be Dope (did you see what I did there) it will be whether or not ROTR is your kind of scene or not. With no SNWMF.. I have a feeling it might be my kind of scene at least for this year.. haven't been for 12 years... think I might have to go back.
May 07, 2019 12:07AM
It’s a little outrageous only because that’s the most they ever charged in 35 years.
More than double, same parking space and I’m sure no valid reason other than profiteering.

Edit: unless they were actually undercharging the whole time...it’s more of a sticker shock than anything

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2019 12:13AM by Ras Matches.
May 07, 2019 01:58AM
Cannabis Village article Lostcoastoutpost.com

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 07, 2019 02:32AM
yeah I get that.. it is a lot.. venting is a healthy part of one's balanced breakfast
May 07, 2019 04:27AM
It’s not parking in some city though. It’s a rocky riverbed where you camp 1/4 mile-plus from your vehicle. Basically, the event is less than 3 months away and there’s still no lineup so they’ll probably end up with a small crowd just like last year. In order to avoid losing another $1.6 mil, they’re doubling the parking fee to get more bucks from the people that do attend. Also parking is more of a premium now since some of the parking area is being converted into the cannabis village.

I’ve been every year since ‘86 so I’ve seen it wax and wain. Last year had a very small crowd, which was actually kind of nice, but we only decided to go at the last minute when we got discounted tickets. Half a lineup wasn’t worth full price tickets. We’ll see what happens this year but I’m not holding my breath. They haven’t earned the benefit of the doubt at this point and there are plenty of other cool things to do at that point of the summer. Fingers crossed it kicks ass and we all decide to go and end up having a great time.
May 09, 2019 02:45PM
late night music till 4am will be at Center Beach...

Anderson Valley Advertiser

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 09, 2019 06:00PM
parking is where you park your car... doesn't matter where it is.. so long as it is within distance of where you need to be. Parking 100 bucks.. encourages people to carpool. You are assuming that they hope to recoup their money by upping the price of parking but that doesn't make sense. If the weekend is more expensive you will have less people and less cars.. seems like they are just adjusting it up to what people in most cities pay all the time. Try parking in Seattle... sheet is spendy.

Line Up is not why most people go to festivals. Yes it obviously helps but there are a lot of "vibe" attendees who like seeing the people they see once a year or running into people they haven't seen in a decade. Yes the music is important but I think for a lot of people making the trek down to the Redwoods in the sun, camping for 3 or 4 days and hearing reggae music, smelling fine herbs etc.. that is what they go for. I would bet that most people don't make it to the majority of the acts anyway.. so long as the headliners are strong. I find that there are always at LEAST one or two bands that I never heard of that are the highlight of the weekend... a couple years ago that was Mellow Mood and Baldini for me at SNWMF.

Just my take, if you have a different take that is ok too.
May 10, 2019 04:17AM
In terms of climate change and greenhouse gas emissions, the $100 parking fee could be a blessing in disguise because it might encourage more carpooling...
May 10, 2019 04:24AM
All I know is that the crowd was tiny last year and that if they wanted a bigger crowd this year they probably should’ve announced a lineup and gotten tickets on sale earlier.

They don’t have a reputation yet to have earned the benefit of the doubt for people to just buy tickets, expecting it to be awesome like in the past.

I’m hoping it works out but not convinced yet.
May 10, 2019 02:48PM
Line Up is not why most people go to festivals. Yes it obviously helps but there are a lot of "vibe" attendees who like seeing the people they see once a year or running into people they haven't seen in a decade. Yes the music is important but I think for a lot of people making the trek down to the Redwoods in the sun, camping for 3 or 4 days and hearing reggae music, smelling fine herbs etc.. that is what they go for. I would bet that most people don't make it to the majority of the acts anyway.. so long as the headliners are strong. I find that there are always at LEAST one or two bands that I never heard of that are the highlight of the weekend... a couple years ago that was Mellow Mood and Baldini for me at SNWMF.

When you're coming from a state that has an up and down reggae scene like Texas, it was the lineup ,lineup and the lineup that encouraged me to come to California festivals in the first place. It is the people-the friends that I've come to know over the past 25 years that now keep me going back. But the original motivation was the music and the artists I wasn't going to see anywhere else.
May 10, 2019 05:10PM
yes... initially sure.. I do think though most people that go to a show like ROTR have been before. If they haven't they are usually going with someone who has and as the line up changes from year to year when they are telling their friends about the festival it is usually about something that their friends will experience too if they choose to go. Telling people about seeing Burning Spear and how great it is doesn't really help if Burning Spear isn't going to be there this year. Telling people about camping in the Redwoods on a river for 3 days may peak their interest more. Don't get me wrong, if the line up is weak.. they won't get to experience the music but I find more festivals, even in weak years, have acts that people will enjoy. That is all I am saying. Again.. not ALL people, I just think most people... take SNWMF... the first time I went it was because of 3 acts I wanted to see. Never knew anyone that had went.. wanted to see Capleton, Cocoa Tea and Mighty Crown in the dancehall.. After seeing how it was a Yin to ROTR's Yang (as far as vibes go) I was in... When I spoke to people to get them to go it was about the dynamics of the festival vs the line up. To each their own though. I guess I am just sad that SNWMF isn't happening this year. I get why but still sad.
May 10, 2019 07:38PM
Lineup. No line up ? Not worth my money, time , and driving. It’s the time when promoters fly in artists from Jamaica and abroad.Or they can bring Slightly Stoopid and I’ll stay home.

Edit: only reason I went in 2017 was Dezarie, I only went last year to see Israel Vibration perform their song Reggae on the River-they didn’t play it

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 07:42PM by Ras Matches.
May 11, 2019 09:08PM
Was talking to some friends last night at East Bay Bike Party (for those who haven't been to this event, y'all should check it out!), and someone was saying they heard rumors that ROTR was gonna be cancelled. Has anyone heard this? Is it just a rumor?
May 13, 2019 07:21AM
I don't think that's accurate. They just got special permit approval to have a big cannabis area at the event.
May 13, 2019 01:36PM
Do they really want to lose another $1.6 million like last year? And the cannabis village, I’d hate to be vendor with no huge crowd coming. Looks like another flop.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 13, 2019 03:21PM
I don't think this is anything like last year. No one was even sure if they were gonna have a festival last year. It was very last minute. This year, the festival is on. The only thing people don't know is who will be playing. I have no doubt they will put together a great line up.. People will come. What I find ironic is how if they only get 5 thousand people it is a flop and if they get 20 thousand it is WAY to many people etc. Seems like people have their views and reality won't matter.. much like most things in this country today.
May 13, 2019 03:26PM
Wait - you mean they'll really be woking smeed at ROTR?!!!! Whoa!
May 13, 2019 04:09PM
Ninja
I don't think this is anything like last year. No one was even sure if they were gonna have a festival last year. It was very last minute. This year, the festival is on. The only thing people don't know is who will be playing. I have no doubt they will put together a great line up.. People will come. What I find ironic is how if they only get 5 thousand people it is a flop and if they get 20 thousand it is WAY to many people etc. Seems like people have their views and reality won't matter.. much like most things in this country today.

The whole festival is capped at 9000 people including workers. I consider it a “flop” when they don’t make money, not how many people I get to party with.Seems like people have their views and reality won't matter.. much like most things in this country today. Ninja , you say people will come- but it won’t be you because you don’t go to Reggae on the River.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 15, 2019 05:10PM
sure I do.. have been many times. Haven't been in a few years not because of the line up etc.. more because I had kids and what I wanted became less of a priority. I have never known if they have made money or not in any of the years I have been there. I guess that is why I consider it a flop if they have a lot of cancellation or Sean Paul starts talking about the amount of locals he has bedded. High Times being involved makes me think it will be viable even if they have to take a loss for a couple years. Just my opinion.
May 16, 2019 11:33PM
with the ipo going fairly well i know theres money to spend, hopefully the lineup will reflect that

Respect Same Way
May 17, 2019 06:57PM
Kabaka Pyramid just announced the ROTR date on his upcoming tour. Great start.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 17, 2019 07:40PM
saw that... you are fast
May 17, 2019 07:50PM
I’m so thirsty, that’s pretty much enough for me to buy a ticket.
I bet the parking onsite goes fast

Edit: get yours before the resellers buy all the parking

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 07:52PM by Ras Matches.
May 18, 2019 06:03PM
Remember when it was the best reggae festival in the world?

Anderson Valley Ad.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 20, 2019 05:51PM
yep.. things done changed... but hey that is a good thing
May 20, 2019 09:46PM
Wasn't High Times criticized for not paying staff and bands? Hopefully that doesn't happen again.
May 21, 2019 05:59PM
Coming to reggae on the river: spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. ...or maybe not

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 06:11PM by Ras Matches.
May 22, 2019 10:35PM
Line up drop tomorrow may 23

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 23, 2019 05:19PM
Boom! Buy your VIP parking ASAP, which looks like will be near Center camp where the all night party is.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 05:22PM by Ras Matches.
May 23, 2019 05:24PM
NICE!

Wasnt expecting that!!

Going to Kabaka tonight in Ptown and Toots + Gladitors around ROTR time. Hmmmm. Might save some $$

Seeing Damian + Kabaka in small venu last year was +.

Still - good still a solid start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 05:41PM by s3izone.
May 23, 2019 05:39PM
Great start.
May 23, 2019 05:49PM
You guys are saying Great Start. Do you think there are more announcements?

It’s the same number of bands as last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 05:53PM by langcow.
May 23, 2019 06:00PM
langcow

Ya looks like a full budget all things considered...
May 23, 2019 06:30PM
should be fun as usual
im excited to be a part of it

Respect Same Way
May 23, 2019 07:01PM
I see 4 names that make me excited...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 23, 2019 07:21PM
langcow

This is billed as the Headliners line up. I think that’s pretty much it.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 23, 2019 09:14PM
Funny they only have 3 artists on there now. Did they accidentally put out the whole linup?
May 23, 2019 10:23PM
chronicom420
Funny they only have 3 artists on there now. Did they accidentally put out the whole linup?

That’s what I’m thinking , because I went to try and find where I got the link and cannot find it.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
May 23, 2019 11:38PM
Interesting that Anthony B is somehow playing (according to Reggaeville website) two festivals in Europe the same weekend as ROTR, and yet is listed in an earlier lineup post. Whaa gwaaan?? I'm sure truth soon reveal (like pineal fi real). Bless up!! Either way, I & I moving FORWARD straight to da top nonstop till wicked Babylon drop feeling red smiley One Love and Higher Heights as we unite and make these vibrations right smoking smiley Aloha always
May 24, 2019 07:32PM
I don't think budget is an issue. Marley is a part owner of High Times. I have a feeling the relationship between High Times and ROTR will continue to grow.
May 24, 2019 09:28PM
Ninja
I don't think budget is an issue. Marley is a part owner of High Times. I have a feeling the relationship between High Times and ROTR will continue to grow.

Sure of course but turning a profit is always good return on investment. That is what I ment. They realize there is limited revenue available at the event so they of course have to book accordingly.
May 24, 2019 09:37PM
^^^ I hope so, but it will never continue to be what it used to be (hope I'm proven wrong). The "old site" was dope and glad it's back to the original site. (the next door site was a horrible, poorly planned, dust bowl....with terrible transportation). I'm assuming some could agree, some may disagree. We're all here to reason. Hope it works out. SNWMF seems to have its 'stuff' together in a much better way. Some may want me to apologize, but it's not gonna happen. I say it how it is. I've been around long enough, since Feather River days, to say what I feel.

Bless

jcom (aka 'he sucks' according to Treez)
May 25, 2019 08:57PM
May 25, 2019 11:09PM

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 03, 2019 08:35PM
Well that looks like a bill for a arena show, not exactly a festival lineup, but it's a start I suppose...!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login