Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternatives

Posted by ScottiB 
Alternatives
March 06, 2019 02:27AM
SNWMF has been my go to festival for 15 years now, I don't think any other festival can compare. I have many of my most memorable musical experiences there and feel forever indebted to Warren and all the crew who have put it on. In addition to the music is what I call our SNWMF family, Linda and I have made so many friends who attend from places far and near. There is that special feeling of anticipation Friday night when looking to see who has arrived.

This year will be different while we sit one out. Linda and I are discussing what to do this summer, of course I want to go to a reggae festival some where, but where? Of course none will compare to SNWMF but what are the alternatives? Montreal Reggae, Toronto Ska, ROTR, Red Rocks, Cali Roots and Rototom all come to mind. Is there anything in Portland, Vancouver, the east coast, I'm curious as to what all my SNWMF family is thinking?

Scotti
Re: Alternatives
March 06, 2019 03:41AM
This should be a cool thread.

I am def planning on ROTR. I also am planning on Dry Diggins which was hella fun last year, but waiting on the line up for final decision. Next in priority would be Rebel Salute, but that's in January and I say that every year and have not made it as of yet.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
March 06, 2019 03:56AM
Locally, I'd say ROTR is a must. It used to be THE premier reggae festival in NorCal before all the drama.

If it's in your budget, I would definitely try to hit up Rototom, that seems to have taken the throne as the world's best reggae festival.

There's also Upsala in Sweden, and Summer Jam in Germany. Both look pretty epic!
March 06, 2019 05:39AM
I agree with you ScottiB. i ve been to SNWMF since 2002 and for me it is the best weekend of the year period. I think Dry Diggins could be a good alternative. Maybe i'll go again to ROTR this year. Need to change my days off for that. thanks for the thread tho
March 06, 2019 05:45AM
oh and i forgot there is the one love one heart reggae fest in woodland 8-31/9-1. i was last year and was happily surprised. i think sizzla anthonyB will be there this year. check it out
March 06, 2019 05:21PM
Reggae Rise Up - 3 day festival in Heber City, UT in August has been massive last 2 years. I expect it to be even better this year. Only 1/2 hour out of SLC, by Park City. Tons of hotels nearby, onsite camping, and onsite yurts and cabins with tributary creek from Provo River running through the site. Tons of killer food and vendors. Heber City also has grocery stores, restaurants, etc. all 5 mins from the venue. I was blown away last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 05:24PM by jcom.
March 06, 2019 09:05PM
if you're coming east this summer Ithaca is a cool conscious town with beautiful waterfall gorges parks around it
[ithacareggaefest.com]
this is the third year of this fest lst year was clinton fearorn meditations and sis carol and lots of fun
central park in NYC usually has nice free shows in the parks
a
March 06, 2019 11:40PM
For anyone considering dry diggings, I figured I would share my thoughts on the fest.
The venue is nice, lots of grass, shade structures, etc. There are usually only a handful of vendors and food vendors are onsite but seemed to be lacking. The food definitely felt more like fair food with a few healthy options. Snwmf food vendors are always the best so kinda hard to compete there winking smiley. If you are not in rv camp, there is only walk in camp. You park in the parking lot which is mostly uphill, and walk your items in. If we go back I probably would only do rv or even consider staying onsite somewhere in town. The tent sites are pretty packed on top of each other and you definitely feel a little cramped. The lineup and production is usually pretty good and we've always had a really good time there. There is a raleys easily within walking distance which is nice for last minute food purchases or a quick break in the ac. Expect a much more party like vibe and a heavy focus on weed and dabbing (they have booths set up there and frequently between sets would throw out joints, lighters, etc from the stage). Ticket prices have been pretty reasonable in the past and they have almost gone on sale on groupon for every year that I can remember. Definitely keep a look out there if you're looking to go and spend less.
March 06, 2019 11:55PM
Well, if you are not looking for something to fill your 3rd weekend in June and distance isn't an issue, this is the one I would select. They've had an interesting lineup the past few years and ALWAYS seem to feature someone that doesn't play stateside.

The Congos (w/ Cedric), Tappa Zukie, 3 the Hard Way and I-Kong make 2016 look particularly inviting with nuff sound systems as well....

March 06, 2019 11:59PM
Reggae on the River for me, and the One Love One Heart fest in Woodland. I have too much history with that show to miss it if its not 110 outside. Last year was more like a private party with most folks up at dry diggins i think, but it made my life easier. Would love to see more folks there, last year saw Misael, Raging Fyah, Jah9, Mykal Rose, Mada Nile, Abja, Keznamdi and Randy Valentine. Israel Vibes was there too, among a few others.

I would like to go to one more though.

Love that reggae!
March 07, 2019 01:51AM
unfortunately one would have to wait til Labor Day weekend for the One Love Festival UK but that lineup is wikkid!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 07, 2019 04:29PM
My man RH traveled there to One Love Fest last year with Keith Poppin and said the vibes real nice. That lineup looks real wickked this year

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 04:44PM by papaken.
March 07, 2019 09:13PM
i ll be in JA sept1-7. anyone has tips for shows there ? thanks in advance
March 08, 2019 06:06AM
Don't discount 3 day Reggae Rise Up in UT. Many artists said that it was the most beautiful venue they've ever perfored last year. Most notably Steel Pulse which has performed in Utah well over 30 times in my years. Within the lush mountaons of Park City. Just below a big reservoir for a cool dip and a river runs through the venue. 45 mins from large city, internat international airport, and minutes off I-80. I went last year and was blown away at the venue, access, nearby amenities of restaurants,grocery stores and, yes, full bars, and beer gardens onsite and liquor stores in Heber and Park City!)....and not one single cop in the venue the whole 3 days I was there (Utah has legal MMj now too)....not that it was an issue before. Tons of onsite camping, personal cabins and yurts, and more hotels nearby w/shuttles than you could imagine. 3 days of bliss, along with a ricer running through it. RRU does two festivals per year. One in Ft. Lauderdale in the spring and UT in august Totall well orga ozed. Looking forward to announcements of lineups soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 06:19AM by jcom.
March 08, 2019 04:23PM
I don't discount that festival.. how about some more Jamaican's on the line up though.. I personally like bands like Stick Figure, Rebelution etc.. but to have all the headliners be "Cali" Reggae seems a bit much... I totally understand why they are doing this but I am just stating my personal preference. Lots of Cali Reggae and lots of Polynesian sound as well. Just like a bit of Koffee with my Cream that is all. Glad to see it is year.. 3.. I think? Utah is still the most beautiful state I have ever been in.. it is something else.. the people are crazy, but the state is lovely.
March 08, 2019 06:06PM
Keep in mind, you are looking at the lineup for the Ft. Lauderdale Reggae Rise Up. They have not announced the Utah lineup. This will only be its 3rd year as a 3 day festival, so it's young, but gaining popularity. There were a good number of Jamaican/Carib bands at the Utah show but, yes, Cali headliners. I'm not a SOJA fan so we went back to the hotel early when they came on. I expect this year's lineup to be very good.
March 08, 2019 07:03PM
they got "some" of the Utah line up announced and really I was looking back at the past couple years.. Looks like they got Jesse Royal and Steve Marley.. long with Jah 9.. etc
March 08, 2019 07:15PM
Toots is at this one by me in Grass Valley. Usually has a few reggae performers. Never been. Nice fairgrounds. Not affiliated.

California World Fest July 11-14 Grass Valley

March 08, 2019 08:12PM
Ninja
they got "some" of the Utah line up announced and really I was looking back at the past couple years.. Looks like they got Jesse Royal and Steve Marley.. long with Jah 9.. etc

Yeah, last August was kick ass....average temps were in the low - mid 80s. Had front row and got some amazing pics of Jesse Royal. We bought the VIP tix which has separate entrance, but still front row access. VIP has personal restrooms, private bar, but easy access to GA as well. Realy well organized. Stephen Marley, Steel Pulse, New Kingston, etc. were all there last year. I can guarantee one wouldn't be disappointed. Truly one of the best venues out of dozens of festivals I've been to over 30 years. Really well organized. People had anchored floaties in the creek and it's nice and cool since its water comes right out of Jordanelle reservoir. Easy in-n-out, shuttles on schedule, and tons of Uber/Lyft guys right at main entrance for trips to grocery stores, restaurants, Park City, SLC, etc.

p.s. - the lineup they are showing on RRU Utah is still last year's lineup. Tribal Seeds were on point last year. Also, they have 2 stages, and the secondary stage is almost as big as the main stage.

Check out the 'Festival Map' along with camping, lodging, and hotels. Utah has changed A LOT over the years. Much more liberal...we've had a democratic mayor in SLC for last 40 years. Current mayor is LGBTQ woman and she's going to be re-elected.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 07:38PM by jcom.
March 09, 2019 05:53PM
Ahh.. good to know... It being in August I will consider it for sure.. It has been 20 years since I have been to Utah.. Went to Zion back in 97.... I will check it out for sure.. all places change and people do too smiling smiley Bless
March 09, 2019 07:14PM
If you go back to Utah, make sure to visit Canyonlands. By far and away my favorite National Park. The lines and crowds at Zion, Arches, etc. are a joke. We used to camp in Arches back in the day, no toll gate BS, etc....now it's a zoo. Canyonlands is gigantic, liberal on camping and some of the coolest @#$%& you'll ever see. The Maze is psycho. These days, when I go south, I only go to Canyonlands and San Rafael Swell. The Swell is not a national park, just BLM (and Goblin Valley is close and definitely worth a half day visit). I'm glad San Rafael is not a national park (evem though it could be) because it's just isolated, free, uncrowded bliss. It's where the Wild Bunch of Butch Cassidy, Sundance, and crew used to hide out. Capitol Reef is very near San Rafael and is much less visited than Arches, Zion, Bryce. It's a massive fold in the earth that extends for about 100 miles down to Lake Powell. Eye popping! (ahh, the beauty of trying to post from a phone, hence the multiple edits...ha ha)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 07:28PM by jcom.
March 09, 2019 07:32PM
March 11, 2019 01:23AM
Is Montreal even going to have a festival this year?
Haven't seen anything to indicate they will.
AJ
March 11, 2019 10:49PM
Here's a couple for you Scotti..............

Sumfest
July 14-20, 2019
MoBay, JA

Reggae in the Desert
Las Vegas, Nevada
June 2019.........looks like the dates and lineup soon come...........if they still have the fest.
JUNE = LAS VEGAS = HOT

Hi to Linda

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 05:53PM by AJ.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login