Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new Boston roots comp

Posted by Noah 
new Boston roots comp
March 01, 2019 03:32PM
Hey phorum friends

I was honored to be asked to do the liner notes for this new compilation of early Boston roots bands:

[cultures-of-soul.myshopify.com]

The local NPR affiliate did a nice piece on it today:

[www.wbur.org]

--N
Re: new Boston roots comp
March 02, 2019 02:00AM
Nice write-up, Noah. Brings back excellent memories for me. I lived on North Harvard in North Allston, a short walk from the Western Front from '84-'86. It was my local nightclub, and it was very cool for a green little reggae fanatic from Wisconsin. I saw a lot of great music there. Could get dicey and rough, but always an interesting evening.
March 03, 2019 01:54AM
In looking forward to hearing this release. Western Front was small but had a nice vibe. I do wonder who was the biggest reggae artist to come out of boston. One could argue JBB.
March 03, 2019 07:28AM
akee123
In looking forward to hearing this release. Western Front was small but had a nice vibe. I do wonder who was the biggest reggae artist to come out of boston. One could argue JBB.

Isn't John Brown's Body out of Ithaca NY?

What about Jah Works?

Jah Son
March 07, 2019 08:33PM
John Brown's Body are most associated with Ithaca but had a number of Boston members -- in fact their old trombonist played at our release party and now has a mento/Carib-jazz group called King's Highway which I'm looking forward to seeing this weekend. I think Jah Works are more a Baltimore outfit although again Boston players have passed through. Moving away from the self-contained bands Mighty Mystic seems to have the biggest international profile these days.
March 13, 2019 10:17PM
Wow. Great record. Just got it today and have been running through both discs on my good sound system, at a proper volume, loving every single tune. Roots reggae, with no apology, and in no hurry. Haile recommended.

I gotta say: excellent vinyl pressing and wonderful job on the insert booklet. Tams off to Noah Schaffer, Uchenna Ikonne, and everyone involved. They really captured the vibe of the times. I look forward to spending many hours reading, and re-reading it.

Love that Channel poster from the Oxfam Ethiopia benefit. It is awesome. That was my first time seeing Sugar Minott, Itals, Don Carlos and Horace Andy.

And the tune Burning Fire by Zion Initation is one of my favorite tunes of all time....today is the first time I've heard it in 30 years. Still fire. Still burning. Irie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 10:18PM by Jahsprey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login