Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tribute to legends (SD)

Posted by Ras_Adam 
tribute to legends (SD)
February 18, 2019 01:46AM
Makeda Makossa wrote: ·Tonite’s Legends Schedule. See you here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 07:15PM by Ras_Adam.
Re: tribute to legends (SD)
February 28, 2019 06:25PM
Not to be negative here, but I am not a fan of Makeda. Even though she has been very influential in bringing reggae to my 2nd home of San Diego and So. Cal, I feel as though she is a racist person. Every time I've seen her Emcee (she's a terrible Emcee), including at SNWMF and Legends, she always goes on some thinly veiled rant and everyone around me says stuff like, "What the hell is she talking about" & "Wow, this lady is a total racist". This has been the case for decades, and she just sounds reggae. A person with her influence should be showing love, peace, unity. I recall her kind of talking about The Lions when they played solo and backup at SNWMF (in 2009 I believe), kind of talking @#$%& about them all being white (which is not true). Their lead singer is Alex Desert, who is in the movie Swingers. She must have missed that part. I roll my eyes when she comes out almost screaming and killing the vibe. My $0.02
March 01, 2019 04:09PM
what DID she write, Adam?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 01, 2019 09:30PM
Meh, except for S&R, Pato, and Bitty.
March 02, 2019 01:11AM
i did not see the poster when i wrote the above question...
anybody have a review of this show. love Sara Lugo n Bitty, and this looks like a decent mix of local and international talent.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 07, 2019 11:23PM
jcom
Not to be negative here, but I am not a fan of Makeda. Even though she has been very influential in bringing reggae to my 2nd home of San Diego and So. Cal, I feel as though she is a racist person. Every time I've seen her Emcee (she's a terrible Emcee), including at SNWMF and Legends, she always goes on some thinly veiled rant and everyone around me says stuff like, "What the hell is she talking about" & "Wow, this lady is a total racist". This has been the case for decades, and she just sounds reggae. A person with her influence should be showing love, peace, unity. I recall her kind of talking about The Lions when they played solo and backup at SNWMF (in 2009 I believe), kind of talking @#$%& about them all being white (which is not true). Their lead singer is Alex Desert, who is in the movie Swingers. She must have missed that part. I roll my eyes when she comes out almost screaming and killing the vibe. My $0.02

jcom - That's all news to me and is sad to hear if true. I've never found Makeda to be racist, EVER, and actually think she does an okay job as an emcee. Call me crazy but I've seen her host Tribute to Legends for over 15 years, since it was Bob Fest, and she always promotes love and unity on stage. Maybe I missed something or haven't been privy to her private conversations but just wanted share my two cents as well.
March 08, 2019 05:47AM
I've seen her enough to feel confident about my post and many of my friends and people I've met while she is doing 'her thing' feel the same. I'm not a hater...I just tell it how I see it. She seems like she has a lot of deep seeded anger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 08:15PM by jcom.
March 08, 2019 08:23PM
"I've seen her enough to feel confident about my post and many of my friends and people I've met while she is doing 'her thing' feel the same. I'm not a hater...I just tell it how I see it. She seems like she has a lot of deep seeded anger." This is a dynamic I've seen more than once, which may be called Biting The Hand That Listens To You And Pays The Freight.

For certain artists who are black, it must be a bit of that old 'existential dilemma' to identify and come from a black music tradition, while realizing that a majority(make that often a vast majority) of one's audience is not black. A dynamic I've noticed for nearly 50 years, beginning with noticing the behavior and comments by black jazz musicians whose audience(especially in avant-guard circles) is almost entirely white.

Human nature, human nature....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login