Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

California Roots Monterey California May 24-26 2019

Posted by Ras Matches 
California Roots Monterey California May 24-26 2019
October 14, 2018 11:40PM
It’s always worth attending at least one of the days.
Stick Figure must be killin it. I am still unfamiliar with their sound and just don’t have the interest to even search for their material. Maybe I’ll give them a listen..

California Roots 2019

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2018 03:04AM by Ras Matches.
Re: California Roots Monterey California May 24-26 2019
October 29, 2018 05:15AM
On-site “glamping” only $1,500. What a deal!!!
October 29, 2018 09:38PM
westafari
On-site “glamping” only $1,500. What a deal!!!

Completely absurd!
October 30, 2018 12:20AM
Yeah what do they think this is ? Burning Man?smiling smiley

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 12:23AM by Ras Matches.
November 27, 2018 07:29PM
Unless they're adding more artists, that's a weak lineup for a 3 day fest IMO.
November 27, 2018 08:30PM
jcom
Unless they're adding more artists, that's a weak lineup for a 3 day fest IMO.
"Round One Announcement" tells the story...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
November 27, 2018 08:52PM
Ahh...didnt go to link, just looked at poster. Cheers!
January 11, 2019 07:54PM
Sunday looks like the day.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
January 11, 2019 08:00PM
Definitely not enough there for me to make the trip from Portland.
January 11, 2019 08:03PM
smiling smiley Almost not enough for me to drive from San Jose

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 08:05PM by Ras Matches.
January 12, 2019 04:30AM
not even interested, nor interesting.

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
January 12, 2019 02:24PM
I feel you Ras Danny, but I kinda like Kabaka Pyrimid , Cypress Hill, UB40, Dread Mar I, Jesse Royal and Alborosie

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
January 12, 2019 04:27PM
thumbs up

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2019 11:36PM by DJ Spleece.
January 12, 2019 04:32PM
DJ Spleece
Ras Matches
I feel you Ras Danny, but I kinda like Kabaka Pyrimid , Cypress Hill, UB40, Dread Mar I, Jesse Royal and Alborosie

From what I've heard, most of these listed names might be playing smaller venues in the area around that time still to be announced: Kabaka Pyramid is at Moe's Alley February 17th! I think I'll check a few of these reggae names that way this year & leave the fest to the Valley metal fans again. I haven't seen Cypress Hill live in years- that sounds like a fun set to me! smoking smiley I have always watched parts of Cali rock fest at home from the live stream. Maybe that will happen again?

‘Valley metal fans’ , I am admittedly from San Jose and also a fan of metal music , but I cant count how many shows I seen you spin Spleece. It’s a little hard not to take your comments personally. There’s no metal music on this bill , Cannibal Corpse is next month and Erykah Badu was last month but I guess that’s not metal.

Your right about the smaller venues , many of those artists will turn out locally and That might be the way to see them

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2019 05:48PM by Ras Matches.
January 12, 2019 06:47PM
Ras Matches
cool, i'd like to see those acts as well. make a $1,000+ weekend (my expenses) happen for those six artists and music close to what they represent, and i might make the trip... this other stuff gets mentions and reviewed on my programs (some of it; and in fact there are a coupla "Cali-Reggae" bands on there i DO like - Iya Terra, for one) but only one of them made my "favorite albums of 2018 show"...

and another point i wanna make is that in my opinion one of the very best reggae albums of 2018 to come out of Cali was by Mykal Rose & The Red Lions... that's REAL ROOTS to my ear. they're not on the bill. not to speak of the many other local Cali acts that never get to that stage

also it seems this fest is almost always a repeat of the same bands over and over and over... into infinity, it seems.

there's really nothing in the BIG PRINT that makes me wanna spend the dough n time. guess this ones jus not for me...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
January 12, 2019 06:58PM
Turn nose up on the list of acts=Spoiled=Ungrateful
Relative
January 12, 2019 06:59PM
What would the artists themselves say?
January 12, 2019 11:07PM
I went a couple of days last year and had a good time. Saw the targeted artists, & got my reggaefix. E40 did a banging set, too. Great, positive vibes all around in a good venue, with happy&stoked people all grooving all the time...while I was there. Nothing wrong wit dat. Sure the lineup was not everything I dream of. Those dreams are now just memories from days gone by. They don't happen cause the artists I really wanna see are universally older, infirmed, or dead. BUT it's a solid, well run festival. Spendy, but reliable.

Not planning on going this year, but I gotta give it up to amy and dan @ CaliRoots for keeping some fyah burning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 06:35AM by Jahsprey.
January 14, 2019 03:30PM
thumbs up

[www.RealitySounds.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2019 11:37PM by DJ Spleece.
January 14, 2019 04:14PM
Ras Danny
Ras Matches
cool, i'd like to see those acts as well. make a $1,000+ weekend (my expenses) happen for those six artists and music close to what they represent, and i might make the trip... this other stuff gets mentions and reviewed on my programs (some of it; and in fact there are a coupla "Cali-Reggae" bands on there i DO like - Iya Terra, for one) but only one of them made my "favorite albums of 2018 show"...

and another point i wanna make is that in my opinion one of the very best reggae albums of 2018 to come out of Cali was by Mykal Rose & The Red Lions... that's REAL ROOTS to my ear. they're not on the bill. not to speak of the many other local Cali acts that never get to that stage

also it seems this fest is almost always a repeat of the same bands over and over and over... into infinity, it seems.

there's really nothing in the BIG PRINT that makes me wanna spend the dough n time. guess this ones jus not for me...

Agreed. With the line-up revised as you suggested, I'd not just want to go, but take my family & friends, support the food & clothing vendors, and maybe even give it some additional promotion! winking smiley

[www.RealitySounds.com]

January 14, 2019 08:23PM
These large festivals are capitalism in it's purest form. You have to pay money, and you have to get paid money. These are the bands that will both sell the most tickets and charge the most money. Perhaps the name is somewhat misleading because you don't have much Roots but this is a perfect line up for who you are trying to sell tickets to. It has nothing to do with reggae purity or this and that. It has to do with selling tickets to a fan base and being around for the following season.
January 14, 2019 08:58PM
Spleece n Ninja! totally agreed on both Your descriptions here! word.

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
January 14, 2019 10:39PM
"Reggae Business" has never been removed from capitalism. I am sure Steel Pulse, Proteje, Kabaka Pyramid, Jesse Royal, Jo Mersa and/or Alborosie would acknowledge that as well. Point is, POV's are "relative" and much of what is expressed on this thread is from POV's that are influenced by having the opportunity to pick and choose based on proximity to much higher frequency of shows within a given region relative to the majority of other regions in the continental US.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2019 02:42AM by IYah_Trod.
January 15, 2019 03:07AM
Sometimes I wish I had the ability to erase threads , so I don’t have to look at all the negativity. I posted this just like any other show but I don’t particularly like this festival either. I just posted it.

It’s more for the local people who might want to attend. If you are totally against this festival why did you click on this post? It’s a concert poster for a show in northern California.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
January 15, 2019 02:07PM
^^^^^^this^^^^^^ beyond all of this I am sure this would be a great show.. if you like music and not just one kind..
February 04, 2019 03:08AM
These guys added Koffee on Saturday.. so she’s in the area, hopefully for another month

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
February 06, 2019 02:58AM
I saw ads on the Bart train today, I like Protoje and Don Carlos. Would anyone pay money to see the other artists esp in an extended festival venue?
February 06, 2019 03:23AM
...I guess they would have shorter sets, i like Spleece’s plan to wait for the club shows
I hope Koffee can make it out this summer

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
February 09, 2019 04:07AM
For the marketing dept at Cali Roots Fest. I really dislike the ads on the Bart trains for Cali Roots. It looks like a skier lady giving a heavy metal rock on sign. Confusing and disconcerting, first thing I thought was what are these d bags selling.
June 13, 2019 05:37PM
These guys are on top of it. Already started selling tickets today to fans who purchased this year.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 06:57PM by Ras Matches.
June 13, 2019 06:55PM
"Loyalty Tickets".... eye rolling smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 13, 2019 06:58PM
HiGrade1
"Loyalty Tickets".... eye rolling smiley

What? You wanna finish your thought HiGrade1?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 13, 2019 07:00PM
For the marketing dept at Cali Roots Fest. I really dislike the ads on the Bart trains for Cali Roots. It looks like a skier lady giving a heavy metal rock on sign. Confusing and disconcerting, first thing I thought was what are these d bags selling.
greatness
June 13, 2019 07:03PM
papaken
greatness

Yeah, ok. I’m sure the marketing department is reading this...let’s be real, they don’t got time to read some phorum that has nothing to do with them. They got their own success.

Can you name another festival that sells their tickets a year in advance?

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 07:06PM by Ras Matches.
June 13, 2019 07:08PM
Yeah, ok. I’m sure the marketing department is reading this...let’s be real, they don’t got time to read some phorum that has nothing to do with them. They got their own success.
I just appreciate the sarcasm

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login