Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

smileys with beer Hydration Station This Year?

Posted by oolahula 
smileys with beer Hydration Station This Year?
June 08, 2016 08:03PM
Are we going to have a decent hydration station this year? Last year there was only one spigot that was a bad joke!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 08:05PM by oolahula.
Re: smileys with beer Hydration Station This Year?
June 08, 2016 09:49PM
There are MANY spigots located throughout the fairgrounds property. The only one (that I am aware of) that is in the camping area is located near the structure that sits on the eastern portion of camp grounds (near where the RV's park)....
June 09, 2016 12:50AM
No disrespect, but I definitely didn't see many spigots, and this has been one of my greatest disappointments with the fest over past years. There is one spigot at village stage in the middle of a muddy puddle and one water fountain near the bleachers. Filling up bottles in the bathroom is not a reasonable option for me. Trust, I will bring ample water and be hydrated, but it seems the fest is capable of more.

Several years back there was a great filtered water station as you entered the valley stage bowl, apparently by an individual not necessarily done by the fest themselves. It would seem like there is time to put something in place bc we the people want and need it. More water!!
June 09, 2016 01:19AM
I couldn't agree more, I miss that hydration station from a couple years back and every other festival I go to is more responsible about providing a real facility to get water! With the money this festival makes, water should be in the budget!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 01:26AM by oolahula.
June 09, 2016 02:14AM
oolahula
With the money this festival makes, water should be in the budget!

do tell, how how much money does this festival make? i'm asking in sincerity, really.
how much?

i doubt you have any idea whatsoever. but feel free to speak as if you do.

eye rolling smiley

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 09, 2016 05:38AM
oolahula
I couldn't agree more, I miss that hydration station from a couple years back and every other festival I go to is more responsible about providing a real facility to get water! With the money this festival makes, water should be in the budget!

Best way to ask for something you wish to see at this or any other festival is not to attach the request to a gross, potentially insulting assumption of profits. Just ask for what you wish to see. More than likely it is seen by those who should see it.
June 09, 2016 02:01PM
oolahula

Ha! I'd be willing to bet that, by the time the fest pays all of its bills, the profit realized is no more than a few thousands of dollars. Being in the music promo business is no way to get rich. To paraphrase an old joke:

Riddle: How do you put on a fest like SNWMF and make a million dollars?
Answer: Start with 2 million dollars.
June 09, 2016 03:06PM
typical... bottom line, bring enough supplies to support you and yours.. stop looking for 'daddy' to
spoon feed you at every move..
June 09, 2016 04:24PM
Honestly, depending on the situation, I'm not sure if I'd want a water vendor there which would be the case if the faucets onsite weren't enough. I'm not sure what their terms are on a contract, but I've noticed the past couple festivals I went to (dry diggings, field of haze) had a water vendor there with free water onsite and since that was there, absolutely NO other water was allowed onsite. It was awful. The water vendor was filtering hose water and temps were hot so only hot water was available to drink and lines were long. I just had to assume that in order to make the vendor happy, they had to make sure they were the only ones providing water to guests, even the vendors were prohibited from selling water.

I always bring our own water to have enough for the entire weekend. I actually prefer it that way because I bring a big 5 gallon cooler, fill it with ice and it gives me ice water all weekend. You can get a gallon of water from the dollar tree and sometimes even less from other stores if they're on sale. I usually bring about 5-6 gallons of water for the cooler and a pack of bottles to bring some extras into the venue for during the day if we don't want to walk back to our site.

I love that SNWMF allows you to bring your own water into the venue and I would hope they'd never change that.
June 09, 2016 05:00PM
I agree with most of the above post. Yes for the price we pay water stations should be available. However I also agree with personal responsibility. It's camping with benifits so it is up to us to provide what we need for ourselves and they have a market across the street. I freeze large bottles of water and cool my food and drinks with that and loose ice. I also fill speedster coolers with just ice and use that for drinking and all my water needs. If I need more then I conserve or use the spigots and bathrooms.
June 09, 2016 05:49PM
Lol first world problems - "There's no free, non-spigoted, water at an otherwise incredible music fest".
June 09, 2016 06:21PM
wierd.....I don't like the word "water vendor"
June 09, 2016 07:29PM
randomguy2u
wierd.....I don't like the word "water vendor"

Essentially what they were. I really didn't like the set up.
June 09, 2016 10:34PM
Jah Med provides free water and/or Gatorade for the duration of the fest. As well as sunblock, condoms, bandages, among other things. drinking smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
June 10, 2016 05:58AM
Walter
oolahula

Ha! I'd be willing to bet that, by the time the fest pays all of its bills, the profit realized is no more than a few thousands of dollars. Being in the music promo business is no way to get rich. To paraphrase an old joke:

When I first started in this biz, the legendary Jah Bill gave me some of the best words of wisdom that I still share with people today and that is much the same as what you just said Walter. He said "If you want to be a millionaire in reggae, start out a billionaire." It's a labor of love not profits. Only a very few come out that far on top.

I am sure many of you already know this, but regarding the water stations, the operator of the booth at Cali Roots this year explained to me that all they need is a potable water source to provide filtered water. They use coconut husks to filter the particulate out of the water, but not pathogens. If it's hot out they have run their water lines covered with ice to cool the water. The one refreshing thing I noticed this year was the reduction in waste. For a festival so well attended and packed in, I did not see any trash build up. Everyone had water bottles they either brought or bought there, plus reusable pint cups for the brew.
June 10, 2016 04:55PM
can't compare CaliRoots.....It sells 30,000 tickets. the reusable pint cups was a nice touch
Gatorade at Jahmed is for people that seriously need it....Don't go there
June 11, 2016 02:42AM
randomguy2u
can't compare CaliRoots.....

Why not? What's your point? My point is filtered, potable water and reduced waste.
June 12, 2016 12:59PM
mosquito killer
oolahula

do tell, how how much money does this festival make? i'm asking in sincerity, really.
how much?

i doubt you have any idea whatsoever. but feel free to speak as if you do.

eye rolling smiley

m.
You're right, I have no idea what they make but I would be extremely surprised if they said they couldn't "afford" to erect a decent hydration station. rasta smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:14PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 01:01PM
fourtwentyplenty

Best way to ask for something you wish to see at this or any other festival is not to attach the request to a gross, potentially insulting assumption of profits. Just ask for what you wish to see. More than likely it is seen by those who should see it.

Aren't you off subject? Rather than attack the syntax and wording on the issue - focus on lack of water. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, please don't infringe on mine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:16PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 01:03PM
Walter

Wow, didn't know water would break the bank. I'm amazed how this topic has disintegrated into lobbing insults about how its worded rather than focus on the issue. Must be some Trump supporters here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:17PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 01:05PM
bigvein
typical... bottom line, bring enough supplies to support you and yours.. stop looking for 'daddy' to

I bring plenty for me and others I care for, that's not the issue. Having a festival is a responsibility. I'm only asking them to be responsible hosts. Amazing how people like you jump to conclusions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:21PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 01:07PM
I'm not asking for more than a better place to fill a waterbottle and everyone is acting like I want the russian river redirected!
June 12, 2016 01:09PM
Thanks for the kind words, you emanate love! rasta smiley
June 12, 2016 01:10PM
Danny Crucial
Jah Med provides free water and/or Gatorade for the duration of the fest. As well as sunblock, condoms, bandages, among other things. drinking smiley

The first actually helpful thing written in an un-attacking response, Jah bless you my friend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:25PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 01:30PM
smileys with beer Be the change you want to see!
Former Nestlé CEO argues that water is not a human right and should be privatized.
"Declaring water a public right is an extreme view"
Welcome to the future. How much is a gallon of gas? How much is a gallon of bottled water?
NuffSaid.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2016 01:43PM by oolahula.
June 12, 2016 03:02PM
oolahula
bigvein

I bring plenty for me and others I care for, that's not the issue. Having a festival is a responsibility. I'm only asking them to be responsible hosts. Amazing how people like you jump to conclusions!

Yep! Interesting how those who don't even attend the festival have an opinion on this. We're not asking for a lot, just some established and clean water station, and yes NorCal is a 'developed' space with the capabilities. Ultimately it's the festie promoters we want to hear from. When I went to first aid and the front office last year to bring this to their attention, they didn't really have an answer. As I vibes a say, man up!
June 12, 2016 04:46PM

We're not asking for a lot, just some established and clean water station,

Here is a map that shows the 3 water 'stations' that I am aware of. As you can see, one is located in the public camping area, while the other 2 are within the music venue itself. I believe there is also one inside the valley stage music bowl that has a filtration unit attached to it. That would be approximately by the 'tap' on the lowest water image above. There may also be one located next to the baseball field, but I am not able to confirm that. And the water that comes out of these locations is some of 'Mendocino's Finest'....

June 12, 2016 05:13PM
Yes, these stations are the water fountain by the bleachers and the spigot in the middle of the village dance space near the gazebo
June 13, 2016 02:05PM
oolahula
Walter

Wow, didn't know water would break the bank. I'm amazed how this topic has disintegrated into lobbing insults about how its worded rather than focus on the issue. Must be some Trump supporters here.

@oolahula -- I am amazed that you found anything I typed above as "lobbing insults". I speculated that the implication you made that the owners of the SNWMF were cutting back on potable water for its patrons to increase profits was not accurate. I mean, that is what you were implying with this comment, right?

"With the money this festival makes, water should be in the budget!"

Just so you understand, words mean something and you are accountable for those words. So lose the self-righteous indignation when you are called out for them. Or you could simply own up to your error and apologize to me...

... and bigvein

... and fourtwentyplenty

... and Gretchen

... and Warren

And this advice, from our good friend Danny Crucial, is off base, in my opinion:

Danny Crucial

Now I have nothing to do with Jah Med, but I'd be willing to bet that Jah Med does not bring Gatorade to hand out to the general festival population. Those supplies are to treat dehydration, heat exhaustion, sun stroke, and other heat-related maladies. Those supplies are to treat patients. I am sure that Jah Med will break someone off occasionally, but that's not for everybody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 02:24PM by Walter.
June 14, 2016 01:18AM
oolahula
fourtwentyplenty

Aren't you off subject? Rather than attack the syntax and wording on the issue - focus on lack of water. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, please don't infringe on mine!

I believe I addressed the focus in another post in this thread. I am sure your request was understood as you see Daniel posted the map. All I suggested was being polite and thoughtful in your approach. Word, sound, power my brother. Personally I've worked for this festival for the past 10+ years as do others on this board and in this thread and I have seen the tireless effort of it's owners and extended family. Have your opinion. I'm offering loving wisdom on how to approach it not suppression. Love and respect.

@Daniel thanks for the map!
June 18, 2016 02:32PM
Rising up Saturday morning after a brief run last night at the fest. I wanted to write as quickly as possible to express my gratitude for our requests being heard and answered. I did not make it to the valley stage last night, but was pleasantly surprised to see a substantial and well put together filtered water station at the village stage. Huge big up and apprecilove for this!!!! This makes the fest step forward on a new level of consciousness that is so appreciated by me and surely many others.

Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login