Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Cali reggae?

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
Re: What is Cali reggae?
May 25, 2019 05:57AM
jcom
Windy City. Bring em back! Daniel was kind enough to overlay the kind soundstage audio on my vid....

I don't think Windy City in that incarnation is together any longer..

Jah Son
May 25, 2019 07:22PM
Yeah, Daniel just confirmed that. Sad. They were so great and super cool peeps.
May 25, 2019 08:56PM
May 29, 2019 03:52PM
^^^^ Sizzla is not homophobic.. they should choose a different phrase.. this article was much to gleeful.. "don't worry". Whomever that guy is he makes himself sound like a clown. We weren't aware of his musical past.. well then who the hell is booking people. Someone was aware that having him at the festival was a huge get in the reggae community. It would be kind of hard to know how big Sizzla is and then claim you had no idea about his past. I am not against the people who wanted him banned, I fully understand their point of view. I just don't like dumb ass people acting like they didn't know any better.
May 30, 2019 09:31PM
Lets get back to the Cali reggae question, what is Cali Reggae?

I would offer that its a band that for whatever reason, calling them a reggae band doesn't seem to fully describe them. And there are many reasons one might distinguish one of these bands from your old school rootsy jamaican band. No jamaican patois. Singer doesn't seem to have lived through what he or she is singing about. Pounding drums. So maybe its a bit of inauthenticity that makes them Cali Reggae.

Love that reggae!
May 31, 2019 01:29PM
point of order.. it would be difficult for people to make the claim that a band member or band in general hasn't lived through what they are singing about. I rarely see the sort of research that would determine this put in before the label of a band being "Cali Reggae" is applied to them. I also have a suspicion that if a non Jamaican "white" band was speaking patois they would catch hell for that... finally is "inauthentic" the new way of saying "white"? Just a question... the reason I ask it is because there doesn't seem to be a single black Cali Reggae band..just an observation
June 06, 2019 08:07PM
ninj say

that isn't making peace.

As Dennis once sang: "Love and hate can never be friends" so suggest leave off the syllogistic & personal argument.
June 06, 2019 10:08PM
I didn't intend 'inauthentic' to mean 'white'. I've heard many white reggae performers who've got it, i could listen to them all day. Walker Pillow. Just for one.

I was more asking than stating, it seems like one of those things that when you see it you know what it is but it's hard to describe it accurately.

Love that reggae!
June 06, 2019 11:47PM
word nomo.
June 06, 2019 11:50PM
Peacemakeya.. it wasn't personal. It was about your comment on modern dance hall music. That is all
June 07, 2019 12:36AM
Here's a reggae band from California that certainly doesn't have that "Cali Reggae" sound.

I'd love to see these guys at SNWMF next year.
June 07, 2019 01:10AM
NICE!
June 07, 2019 02:10AM
Roots! Sounds nice.

Love that reggae!
June 08, 2019 04:17AM
SlightlyCarlos Passing Glance
[www.facebook.com]
June 10, 2019 06:06PM
internal_strength
Here's a reggae band from California that certainly doesn't have that "Cali Reggae" sound.
I'd love to see these guys at SNWMF next year.

That's cuz Jr. Thomas is originally from Minneapolis...
Been asking for them to play SNWMF for a few years now...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 10, 2019 07:03PM
well so are the Lakers so that makes sense
June 10, 2019 09:45PM
Ha! nice one Ninja.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 11, 2019 05:07PM
papaken
Dr Seuss said
I think the title is far too broad... There's a lot of people in Cali doing different types of reggae (or music influenced by reggae). for example, I don't think one can compare Stamina Allstars to Sublime, Groundation to Slightly Stoopid, Reggae Angels to Rebelution, etc... in fact, the only thing all the above mentioned acts have in common is being based in California.

RootsTonic and Inka Inka may not fall under Cali reggae , according to Dr Seuss. Can't say that I would disagree.

Depends on if we are talking geography or a certain sound/vibe. Is there such thing as Jamaican reggae? Or UK reggae?
June 11, 2019 05:50PM
nope.. IMO Cali reggae is a slur.. and not about Geography.. maybe not a slur but close to it. It is a way to brand certain music that the "less learned" may consider to be reggae. People like UK reggae and the Jamaican influence and relationship with the UK is so strong that no one considers it to be "reggae lite" Take a band like The Movement. I think they are from like South Carolina. They would surely be labeled Cali Reggae. I heard a bunch of people on one of their FB pages saying the new record they put out Ways of the World (which is a really good record btw) was the Reggae record of the year. I just smiled and thought how much fun people on here would have with that statement.
June 11, 2019 08:43PM
Cali Reggae is simply : Reggae Rock,the already existing genre of reggae. Doesn’t matter where the band is from, it’s reggae rock.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 11, 2019 09:12PM
I like that..
June 11, 2019 10:15PM
That seems pretty accurate, reggae rock. Ninja, i would agree, calling a band cali reggae is to imply they are something less than a reggae band.

Love that reggae!
June 12, 2019 12:53AM
June 12, 2019 01:11AM
And it’s alright

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 13, 2019 05:55AM
Early Cali reggae still going in 2019....

June 13, 2019 02:43PM
Saw Big Mountain at the Mateel in like 92..
June 13, 2019 04:44PM
Before they were Big Mountain they were Shiloh , this album is called California Reggae

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
June 16, 2019 05:36PM
June 18, 2019 01:06AM
Ras Matches
Before they were Big Mountain they were Shiloh , this album is called California Reggae

I was going to mention Shiloh in my post, but not sure if it was known! thumbs up
June 18, 2019 01:08AM
Rasta Rye
Early Cali reggae still going in 2019....

Did Quino grow his locks back? I'm out of the loop, like 20 years worth! Haha. Didn't he cut them in the 90's-2000's?
June 18, 2019 05:08AM
Yes, Quino did cut his locks in the late 90s, but as you can see from the video, he has been re-growng them for many years.

Jah Son
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login