Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Day before the festival...

Posted by christinalorell 
Day before the festival...
April 30, 2014 07:38PM
Hello all

This year our group of four is heading to Healdsburg - Cloverdale area Thursday before the festival instead of driving early Friday morning from Sacramento. Last year, the other couple we go with, camped at Lake Sonoma campgrounds the night before and I think that's going to be where we stay this year, since we don't know of anywhere else. We're planning on spending most of the day Thursday in that area so does anyone have any other campsite recommendations or any fun things to do in the area? Local restaurants or bars to check out?

Thanks grinning smiley
Re: Day before the festival...
April 30, 2014 10:29PM
Bear Republic Brewing Co & Restaurant - Healdsburg

Russian River Brewing Co & Restaurant - Santa Rosa (if you like beer, this is the best beer in the country)

Lagunitas Brewing Co & Restaurant - Petaluma
April 30, 2014 11:21PM
The koa campground in lover sale is pretty nice. It has all of the amenities you need for comfort car camping and a pool. Lots I good eats in heraldsburg just tell it but the above mentioned bars are nice. There is a koa in Petaluma too that is even better then te one in cloverdale and very close to lagunitas
April 30, 2014 11:22PM
From what I hear there might be a pre party in the works taking place somewhere around the festival. SO there should be something to do Thursday in Boomville
May 01, 2014 12:09AM
I was checking out Bear Republic on yelp and I think that will definitely be one of our places to stop! I'll have to check out the koa's too. Thanks! grinning smiley
May 01, 2014 12:16AM
If you are driving through Santa Rosa, pick up a growler of beer from Russian River to take to camp that night.

Peace
May 01, 2014 12:48AM
Definitely will be going through santa rosa. I'll check that out as well smiling smiley
May 01, 2014 02:19AM
Pliny the elder. Yum.
May 01, 2014 03:35AM
Happy Hops and Hop 2 It are my favorites...man they know how to craft a fine ale.
May 01, 2014 04:28AM
I'm not familiar with the area, but I know all those breweries Mr. Black named craft some fine beers.
May 01, 2014 06:24AM
Oh I disagree, great beer even special beer but really I'll take a fresh Hop Stoopid draught against Pliney anyday of the week and twice on Tuesday and I can have more than one and not pay $10 a pint.
Hats off to Vinnie though - Genius Marketing

Do love me some Racer X!!

Stop in Petaluma, find Lagunitas Brewery on N. MacDowell.

Enjoy
May 01, 2014 11:34AM
Beer is definitely a matter if taste. That being said, I can think of a few beers on the Russian tap besides Pliny that blow Hop Stoopid out of the water. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Peace
May 01, 2014 02:33PM
Everyone has ttheir cross to bear in this life. Mine seems to be... I cannot drink a full beer. No matter how fast (or slow) I drink it, the beer always goes stale and bitter in my mouth half way through it. The first half is nice and refreshing. Last half tastes like old socks.
May 01, 2014 02:47PM
I grew up in Santa Rosa, if you are looking for breakfast, try Hank's Creekside! Great breakfast! Russian River brewery was a great suggestion by Mr Black, they have amazing pizza!
May 01, 2014 03:07PM
The patio at Bear Republic is a great place for lunch. We stop there most years on the way to the airport after SNWMF. Other years we stop at Russian River for beer and pizza. Both places are fantastic.
May 01, 2014 03:35PM
J_72
If you are driving through Santa Rosa, pick up a growler of beer from Russian River to take to camp that night.

Peace

This sounds like a great plan! I'm definitely gonna do this and try to check out a couple other breweries! Gotta love some nice beer while camping smileys with beer

Walter - I used to feel the same way and know exactly what you're describing. I guess I eventually got used to it lol. I think it's once it starts to get a little warm then it's not as good as that first half but I've definitely started to enjoy beer much more recently.

Rossta8888 - Ohhh I do love breakfast! grinning smiley If we get in town early enough I'll definitely check out that place! If not then it's looking like pizza and beer at Russian River!
May 01, 2014 03:38PM
I think it's going to be a decision between Bear Republic & Russian River...Maybe one before the festival and one after. Both look really good based off their yelp photos & reviews smiling smiley
May 01, 2014 03:47PM
Walter
Everyone has ttheir cross to bear in this life. Mine seems to be... I cannot drink a full beer. No matter how fast (or slow) I drink it, the beer always goes stale and bitter in my mouth half way through it. The first half is nice and refreshing. Last half tastes like old socks.

Walter - that's probably the reason my wife and I split a beer whenever we indulge.
May 01, 2014 04:04PM
You cannot go wrong with either of those Christina, I no longer drink beer but I used to love a double IPA at Russian River brewery called Pliny the elder, really is one of the best beers out there, has a cult following.
May 01, 2014 04:29PM
rossta8888
You cannot go wrong with either of those Christina, I no longer drink beer but I used to love a double IPA at Russian River brewery called Pliny the elder, really is one of the best beers out there, has a cult following.

I'm looking forward to trying out these places and their beers!
AJ
May 01, 2014 04:57PM
Before we make our way to Boonville/Hendy Woods, we stop to shop at Ray's Food Place in Cloverdale. Ray's has everything we need for our time at Hendy and the prices are mostly good. But before we shop we grab a bite at Taqueria Santa Rosa Mexican restaurant in the same shopping center. Great prices for wonderful salsa & food. Nothing fancy.....but good & not too heavy. I hope it is still open, as we plan to stop there again this June.
Next, we do our final gas up before we head to Anderson Valley at the Chevron Station in the same shopping center. So we cover 3 things with one stop ~ "one stop driver."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 01:06AM by AJ.
May 01, 2014 05:34PM
I believe I've gone to that same taqueria if it's the one I'm thinking of! I don't remember the name, but I do remember it being good. We used to stay with our friend's family the night before in Cloverdale, so we've done shopping at Ray's before too. Nice store & the prices are pretty good for most things smiling smiley Sounds like we have pretty much the same routine! We usually get our gas at the Chevron and some breakfast and coffee from Starbucks before we drive to Boonville. We usually continue through Cloverdale on 128 to Boonville, instead of getting back onto 101 and then to 128. I'm not sure which way you usually go, but it's nice to drive through the town. If you continue on the street where Chevron is, heading North, it will take you right to the turn off to Boonville.
May 01, 2014 06:05PM
There is a wonderful sandwich shop in Ukiah on the way out to Boonville. I will find out the name for every one. The best sandwich shop Ukiah.

Jeff
AJ
May 01, 2014 06:09PM
Yes...we cut through Cloverdale to hwy 128. Been going that way since 2007 ~ we are getting to know that road pretty well.
Hwy 128 is the part of the trip where we really start to feel the SNWMF vibe. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 01:07AM by AJ.
May 01, 2014 06:47PM
J_72
There is a wonderful sandwich shop in Ukiah on the way out to Boonville. I will find out the name for every one. The best sandwich shop Ukiah.

Jeff

Unfortunately we don't go through Ukiah on our way to Boonville sad smiley
May 01, 2014 06:55PM
AJ
Yes...we cut through Cloverdale to hwy 128. Been going that way since 2007 ~ we are getting to know that road pretty good.
Hwy 128 is the part of the trip where we really start to feel the SNWMF vibe. winking smiley

I love going that way! Highway 128 is nice, I'm glad that the final part of the drive is on such a pretty drive and you get to drive slower and really enjoy the surroundings smiling smiley It always seems longer than what I remember though. Every year, I always think we're close and "Boonville is just around this turn" but it's never around that turn lol. I love the feeling when we finally get into Boonville though and get to park and wait for the gates to open! I guess we can officially say the festival is next month!
May 01, 2014 07:07PM
Definitely go to Santa Rosa brewery over Bear Republic. Pliny the Elder is one of the best beers on the planet! I don't know what Joshwa is talking about with his Hop Stoopid b.s smiling smiley
May 01, 2014 08:09PM
Also, you can go sparkling wine tasting near the festival at Scharffenberger in Philo. Really great place. They can teach you Boontling (boonville language.) ha ha

[m.yelp.com]
May 01, 2014 08:27PM
westafari
Also, you can go sparkling wine tasting near the festival at Scharffenberger in Philo. Really great place. They can teach you Boontling (boonville language.) ha ha

[m.yelp.com]

Oh that sounds really tempting as well!!
May 01, 2014 10:37PM
westafari
They can teach you Boontling (boonville language.) ha ha

Haha! Funny that you said that...right after that the Fabulous Frickle Brothers (The fried pickle vendor at snwmf) posted this on their Facebook and was top of my news feed...

[avbc.com]
Just in case you need a boontling dictionary winking smiley
May 02, 2014 02:54AM
Lots of great wineries in Anderson Valley.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login