Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Haile Selassie Flag

Posted by Jah Reggae Shop 
Haile Selassie Flag
April 29, 2010 01:16AM
I am trying to find out about a flag from Ethiopia. Is this a rare flag? Has anyone else ever seen it in use or know how it was used? I was told it was a Selassie era flag that was flown outside buildings he was residing in. I also found reports that this style flag was used during his funeral. One site calls this flag the Imperial Standard. I can not find any real pictures of this flag on the internet or in books. I can only find digital representations. Size: 82 x 162 cm. This flag is hand made. Looks and feels like hemp. Is two sided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I have found so far:

These are based on pictures of the funeral of his late Imperial Majesty, pictures of the Order of Solomon's Seal, and 1930's gold Ethiopian coin showing St George facing East, (similar to the British sovereign). As Haile Selassie introduced the collar to the regalia of the Order of Solomon's Seal (bringing it in to line with european practice), I would suggest that this standard is unique to Haile Selassie and his heirs.
The Ethiopia tricolour, with the Lion of Judea on one side and St George slaying the dragon on the other, each encircled by the collar of the Order of Solomon's Seal, in each corner of the standard the badge of the order (a Star of David with a cross).
David Cox, 15 August 2004 [www.fahnenversand.de]

The Imperial Standard is the Ethiopian Flag (horizontal Green, Yellow, and Red stripes) St. George slaying the Dragon on the front of the flag. Surrounded with the chain of the Order of Solomon's seal, and the Lion of Judah on the back. The Ethiopian Star of Solomon (Star of David with a Cross Centered on it) would appear on each corner of the standard, front and back. The Imperial Standard was draped on the coffin of Emperor Haile Selassie, and can be seen in the pictures of his funeral on the web pages covering this event linked below in the special Funeral section of this page. St. George was one of Ethiopia's Patron Saints, and was associated particularly with the Imperial Family and with the Imperial military forces as well. The Battle of Adwa in 1896 which resulted in a resounding victory of Ethiopia over the colonial forces of Italy took place on the feast day of St. George, and it is this event that inspired both the construction of Addis Ababa's St. George Cathedral (Kidus Giorgis) and the placement of this Saint on the Imperial Standard, and on the Standard of the Imperial Army. A very large mosaic of St. George was part of the facade of the Parliament building in Addis Ababa, but it was painted over by the Derg regime following the revolution of 1974, and it remains painted over today.

[www.angelfire.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an atlas that I have from 1969, there is a flag chart, showing the Ethiopian flag with the golden crowned lion. It is reproduced here from the Ethiopia home page (http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/dmulholl/ethiopia/ethiopia.html now defunct) at the Abysinnian Cyberspace Gateway. The lion is golden (or orange?) and outlined with black. Since W. Smith claims that the pure green yellow red flag was adopted (reintroduced) in 1941 (although he indicates it as civil flag and ensign), this might be the state's (government) flag.
Ċ½eljko Heimer, 12 June 1996

The North American Vexillological Association met in Trenton, New Jersey a few years ago (1986 IIRC, FOTW member Don Healy was our host) and the son of Haile Selassie (a local resident at that time) was invited to be our guest Dinner Speaker. Mr. Selassie was presented with a very nicely made reproduction of the Ethiopian flag with the Crowned Lion holding the flagstaff with the cross finial on the obverse and St George and the Dragon on the reverse. Mr. Selassie told us about the symbolism of the flag, and he stated that the Cross that the lion carried was a pre-Christian symbol. Since I was highly suspicious of this explanation, I asked him "If the cross on the Ethiopian flag is a Pre-Christian symbol, what does it represent?" Unfortunately I did not get a coherent answer, or at least not one that I could understand. IMHO the cross refers to the Coptic Christians. But that incident in Trenton does serve to remind me of the use of the cross in the Ethiopian flag during the Imperial era.
Nick Artimovich, 12 June 1996

Mr. Selassie may have been confused or it may have been deliberate obfuscation and superstition (which I have occasionally noted in ancient cultures as they seek to legitimize their antiquity). Imperial Ethiopia claimed direct descent from King David of Israel (hence of the Lion of Judah in the flag and in the emperor's title), but these pre-Christian symbols apparently mingled with Christian ones pretty early in the history of the Christian church.
T.F. Mills, 12 June 1996

-------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Haile Selassie Flag
April 29, 2010 01:25AM
Here is reproduction I found for $275:

[images.google.com]

April 29, 2010 01:57AM
did you win that top flag on ebay?
i was watching it in the sellers flickr album hoping it would come up..
i have seen one similar used in Amha Selassie's brief reign
i dont read amharic, but many folks online could prob translate it for ya.
a
April 29, 2010 02:14AM

My buddy Dan Bag's father flew this airplane as pilot for Haille Selassie. He was out checking on oil fields. The dog is Selassie's.
The film used was ancient Kodachrome.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 07:50PM by digitalguise.
April 29, 2010 02:50AM
April 29, 2010 07:34PM
great pictures.. give thanks for sharing
April 29, 2010 07:35PM
DJBigJim should be able to help on this.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
April 29, 2010 07:41PM
I think Kodachrome still looks great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:34AM by ForwardZion.
April 29, 2010 11:34PM
those are super photos! i love the look of kodachrome. kinda like vinyl; you cant really reproduce it in another media or formulation. its got a saturation all its own. a pain to process though if i remember right.

and the one of HIM at the controls is another spectacular shot. more subtle but great still.

by coincidence a friend of mine's father was an engineer on the oil fields in ethiopia and my buddy has a photo of him shaking hands with HIM. im going over there soon so if i remember im going to try to get him to scan the photo and send a copy to me, i will post it here then. its really a great photo too. maybe he even met up with your dad at some point.

ernie b just got in a couple of different design ethiopian flags but last i checked the jpgs werent showing up. dont think that helps but that is a cool flag and ive never seen that design before

one
jb
April 30, 2010 02:33AM
Yeah, good way to put it JB Kodachrome is a media all it's own and I have always loved it from a historical point of view. Classic but just great quailty that can't be reproduced in convential technology.
April 30, 2010 03:27AM
Greetings all,

Simply put, the flag with the Lion of Judah on one side and St. George on the other, surrounded by the Collar of the Order of King Solomon's Seal, is the personal flag (a.k.a. standard) of Haile Selassie I.

The dog above is Lulu, who gained world recognition by peeing on several world leaders shoes.

Please inquire if you have either need or desire for books and periodicals and medals of Royal Era Ethiopia, Haile Selassie I, Reggae, Rastafari, Jamaica or Africa.

Thanks and blessings to you and all that you love,

Jim
April 30, 2010 09:45AM
Cool pics! Love how the clouds look..

Yup - gotta love that Kodachrome.

Film stock with vibes all the way.

Sad currently well on its way to extinction.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 09:49AM by FLEXIMIX.
April 30, 2010 10:08AM
Sorry for thread drift - but, American pioneering colour art photographer & legend of Kodachrome: William Eggleston

Kodachrome & dye transfer print

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 10:14AM by FLEXIMIX.
April 30, 2010 04:48PM
May 03, 2010 01:55AM
May 03, 2010 01:57AM
That Order Collar around his neck is represented on the Flag
May 03, 2010 02:10AM
from Solomon's site
The Imperial Standard is the Ethiopian Flag (horizontal Green, Yellow, and Red stripes) St. George slaying the Dragon on the front of the flag. Surrounded with the chain of the Order of Solomon's seal, and the Lion of Judah on the back. The Ethiopian Star of Solomon (Star of David with a Cross Centered on it) would appear on each corner of the standard, front and back. The Imperial Standard was draped on the coffin of Emperor Haile Selassie, and can be seen in the pictures of his funeral on the web pages covering this event linked below in the special Funeral section of this page. St. George was one of Ethiopia's Patron Saints, and was associated particularly with the Imperial Family and with the Imperial military forces as well. The Battle of Adwa in 1896 which resulted in a resounding victory of Ethiopia over the colonial forces of Italy took place on the feast day of St. George, and it is this event that inspired both the construction of Addis Ababa's St. George Cathedral (Kidus Giorgis) and the placement of this Saint on the Imperial Standard, and on the Standard of the Imperial Army. A very large mosaic of St. George was part of the facade of the Parliament building in Addis Ababa, but it was painted over by the Derg regime following the revolution of 1974, and it remains painted over today.

everyone who sells Ethiopian artifacts claims they are all His Imperial Majesties personal items.
its marketing. i'd love a handmade period flag, but they are very dear.
a
May 03, 2010 02:28AM
Flags from Imperial cars

Look at the size of these(you can see the feet of the two folks holding it up):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2010 03:09AM by Ras_Adam.
May 03, 2010 02:36AM
This is a great thread with wonderful information and pictures. Thank You.
May 03, 2010 10:15PM
April 28, 2010 08:57PM IP/Host: ---.twcny.res.rr.com
did you win that top flag on ebay?

i was watching it in the sellers flickr album hoping it would come up..
i have seen one similar used in Amha Selassie's brief reign
a
May 17, 2010 12:56AM
Virgil Bland's beauty:
May 17, 2010 03:27AM
I knew Jim Marshall would set it right. Ras Smoka - Jah Jim is the collector of some amazing Ethiopian treasure while DJ Big Jim is a different Jim.

"life is a road with lots of Jims....."
May 17, 2010 03:55PM
Oh, thought he changed his handle some time back?. DJbigJim = James Snidow? Sorry for the mix up, heart was in the right place.

May 17, 2010 04:24PM
Don't forget to bring my Apple shirt to SNWMF Smoka XXXL
May 17, 2010 04:31PM
Who shall I make the inscription out to?

May 17, 2010 09:18PM
I did not know you inscribed them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login