Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"War," "What Life Has Taught Me," and songs from Selassie's words

Posted by m i c h a e l 
"War," "What Life Has Taught Me," and songs from Selassie's words
November 02, 2009 12:54AM
I was reading on another board that the Marley family asserting stricter control of the use & distribution of Bob Marley's images, not only his music.

It got me wondering about Bob's use of Selassie's words in "War." Did Selassie's family ever come to Bob, Island or Marley Family Enterprises about the use of the emperor's words?

What about Selassie's words for other reggae artists? As justly famous as "War" is for its brilliant use of the What Life Has Taught Me speech, I've always been a bit surprised that Selassie's pronouncements haven't been used more often. Who owns the emperor's words today? Or are they in the public domain for any artist's use?
Re: "War," "What Life Has Taught Me," and songs from Selassie's words
November 02, 2009 01:04AM
one of the many great things about HIM was the page at the beginning of his books including Utterances & Selected Speeches that says "ANY part of this book may be reproduced by ANY means."
a
Re: "War," "What Life Has Taught Me," and songs from Selassie's words
November 02, 2009 08:58PM
Yes, Jah's works, words and images are largely in public domain. I approached the Royal Family in 1991 proposing that they reassert control over use of his image in the interests of quality control as well as creating a little cash flow for the Royal Family, but I was politely refused.

How can my massive collection of Ethiopia, Haile Selassie I, reggae, Rastafari, Jamaica and Africa best serve you? Don't you need some books, vintage periodicals and Medals of Royal Ethiopia? You can see many of my archive items and photos on facebook.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login