Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Big Island

Posted by riffy 
Big Island
April 16, 2009 07:07AM
I'm having serious thoughts about moving to the Big Island. I'm curious about ones and ones insight and experiences that have lived there or live there now. Looking for the esoteric tidbits here. Please let your comments flow. I can use all of the input I can get. Thanks massive!

Post Edited (04-16-09 00:13)
Re: Big Island
April 16, 2009 07:27AM
Been there, done that twice in my Life. All Good for those who are strong spiritually and financially and single or with one who has a strong backbone...at least in Puna!

+++++++Be the change you want to see in this world- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Go Green. Live Good, Do Good, and Support the Conscious Movement. It's up to I and I to make our manifestations a reality+++++++
April 16, 2009 11:39AM
U got a job offer there?

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 16, 2009 04:47PM
the island of hawaii is my favorite of all the islands in the chain. its a big enough place you can actually fool yourself into thinking road trip. there are volcanoes both active and dormant, and a 14000 foot high volcano with snow. there are steaming jungles. like all hawaiian islands there is a wet side and a dry side. the wet side (hilo) is very moist and verdant. the dry side (kona) quite dry and desert like in areas. there is a bit of interesting nightlife in both kona and hilo but to my mind kona is too much tourist stuff. if i were to move to one of the islands, hawaii would be my choice. it is probably the friendliest of the islands and ive met and become friends with a number of formerly complete strangers just by having breakfast in the same diner a few days in a row for example.

one love
jah bill
April 16, 2009 06:33PM
I got jumped in Kailua-Kona because I am a haole, so if you are also a haole, I would be careful. I wasn't out partying or causing a ruckus, I was sleeping in a condo at a resort. There are bad eggs in every basket so it could happen anywhere. However, there is a huge meth problem on the island and an anti-"main lander" sentiment that prevails above reason.
April 16, 2009 11:41PM
I live in Puna on the Big Island! I love it but it is not for everyone. I have never felt any kind of racism (i am a haole) but instead the exact opposite, pure Aloha! Happy to answer any questions you might have.
April 17, 2009 01:07AM
You ever saw that Brady Bunch episode where they visit Hawaii?

Stay Away!!!!

j.k. smiling smiley

"Love the Life you Live, Live the Life you Love"
April 17, 2009 02:28AM
Greetingz Riffy from South Point, Big Island.. I live in the Ka'u district the most rural part and south part of the Island. I've been here fulltime about 2 years now loving life except for the VOG or "sulfur dioxide" pumped hard from the active Volcano. The weather has been pretty crappy and crops have suffered some since March 2008 but things seem be getting a little better (with less sulfur pumping out)

[volcano.wr.usgs.gov]

most active volcano on earth Kilauea

Vog over Kona

April 17, 2009 07:27AM
Thanks everyone for the input. It's highly appreciated. I was there for 6 days a couple months ago and I completely fell in love with it-thinking about it nonstop since I returned.

Ras Danny, no I have not received any job offer. I would most likely start a business there. If my wife and I went, it would be with the intent of staying a good long while and being self-sufficient is the only way I can see, unless of course I had a nice job offer.

Thanks again everyone!
April 17, 2009 07:45AM
Mr. Black, I have to ask about that 1. People bruk in your gates while you bunks some rest and attacked you? I'm curious about that story if you care to tell.

Bless
April 17, 2009 08:17AM
good luck on that self-sufficient thing on the big island.

Post Edited (04-17-09 10:20)
April 17, 2009 09:43AM
thanks squirt...It's financially hard there? Now that's a shock...... : )

I'm confident though, as I've been self-sufficient-self-employed for most of the last 20 years and have done pretty good so far, especially considering that I've never borrowed a nickel or been given 1.

bless
April 17, 2009 05:21PM
if the vog, the meth, the lack of work don't scare you away, and you can deal with the locals and not act like an ignorant transplanter, go for it !
April 17, 2009 05:37PM
Good friend/ex-band-mate moved there 20 years ago, loves it and never looked back. When he left, he was super tight & stressed as the normal stroke of his
artistic life(he's a master sculpter), and when I saw him in Hilo(he lives nearby)
I could not believe how CHILL my man was.

I also think it depends on how one would adjust to living on the island and whether or not this would be psychologically a cross to bear. If so, obviously one shouldn't go to Hawaii's big island, but I loved my one day's visit!
April 17, 2009 06:09PM
i lived there for a year and a half and although island life had it's nice points, i am much happier back here living in norcal.........
April 17, 2009 06:23PM
i lived on Maui.....and as bad as it sounds....could not wait to get back....back then there was very little shows, that might had a lot to do with it....and maybe the fact that the locals would hit on my girl constantly....the phrase..."i'll teach you to surf" lets go for a rid on my motorcycle got old quick....and there was a pretty bad drug problem...

but never had a problem of being a howlee....just have respect ya know.

i swore i would go back and do it right though....the girl is gone....that was half of the problem sad smiley

Post Edited (04-17-09 11:26)
April 17, 2009 07:03PM
My friend is married, and his wife indicated sometimes feeling isolated...

Her and the hubby have a 60s'-style Sears House Kit type of small ranch dwelling
on about 1/2 acre of land, where they DO have 'every herb bearing fruit' if you know what I mean growing, & my friend is up around 7:30 morning, carving wood and having a spliff, and what was sweet was when I walked into his house, there was a small portable record player with a copy of 'Return Of The Super Ape'
on the turntable; he'd bought in @ my shop around '83....

Post Edited (04-17-09 14:43)
April 18, 2009 06:35AM
i wouldnt put too much stock in the anti-haole bs on the big island. its certainly prevalent in areas of other islands esp oahu, and probably present in small pockets on the big island but overall people are nice on the big island. i did one time sit and listen to this one local going off by the capt cook monument but pretty much all my other experiences there have been positive, and ive probably been there 15 or more times, my favorite hawaiian island.

last time there again i was near the capt cook monument but further down the coast on the dirt road and then out walking way out along the big volcanic shelf on the shoreline watching the big waves come in and conversing with the spirits in the area, then i went back to the beach. when i got there there was a park ranger in his truck. since im used to california where you cant do anything fun, i figured it might be illegal to drink a beer on the beach so i asked the ranger. he looked at me kind of funny and said, hell yeah its ok, its the BEACH! totally cool compared to cali. then he just left to let me smoke my spliff and enjoy a beer on my last night there. that dont usually happen in cali.

one love
jah bill
April 18, 2009 06:47PM
Been living on the Big Island for 3.5 years already. Can't believe it has gone by so fast. I love it, and it doesn't seem like I will be leaving anytime soon.

Everyplace has it's tradeoffs, and you have to decide what you really want, and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it.

What I tell everyone is that if you are going to live in Hawaii, you better love the ocean, and you better find something that you want to do in the water. Be it surfing, fishing, sailing, diving, swimming, whatever.

Because the water is really want makes Hawaii unique. Surfing keeps me sane, and I start to get a bit anxious if I go extended periods of time without being in the water. If you aren't going to take advantage of the ocean, chances are that you will grow very bored of the islands pretty fast.

There isn't a whole lot that happens at night, and all of the best things that Hawaii has to offer happens during the day. And it's a good thing you like reggae music, because you will be limited in what live shows you get. A lot of bands make it out to Hawaii, but not the Big Island. Reggae is the only genre that gets lots of artists to actually make the flight over.

Probably the hardest part about living there is being so far away from friends and family. If that's not a problem, and you love the ocean, then I don't forsee you having any major problems if you decide to move here.

Good luck,
Kind Herb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Whether you suffer from glaucoma, or you just rented The Matrix, medical marijuana can make things fabulous! ...medically."

--Homer J. Simpson
April 18, 2009 08:01PM
Merry Monarch Festival is this weekend. Irie event from Pohoiki to Kalapana and back to Papaya Farms for da Kine. Bless. Puna Vibez

+++++++Be the change you want to see in this world- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Go Green. Live Good, Do Good, and Support the Conscious Movement. It's up to I and I to make our manifestations a reality+++++++
April 19, 2009 02:58PM
Herb, my friend's name is Jeff Roth, and maybe you've already met him and his
wife Taylor. I was quite amazed by the big island, the big volcano, and the perfect
fish meals, as well as the geniality of those I met.
April 19, 2009 07:21PM
Ah the big island
Center of Hawaiiana
home of much history of Hawiian people who want to keep that story goin'
Jah Lava, my mom in law lives on HOV
All solar and wind, no wires
she's up high so weather is about like San Francisco - coooool
Everyone I've met has 2, 3 or 4 different gigs going at same time
unless they're retired and then maybe 1 or 2
fireman, window tinting, hittin nails was one brah story
So if you're used to working for yourself and are resourceful then likely fit right in
bein open to others and other cultures always goes a long way

a toppa toppa place
Place of refuge state park
April 19, 2009 07:54PM
>Place of refuge state park

yes i think thats the place i mentioned but forgot its name. down the dirt road a few miles from capt cook monument on the kona side. beach then trails along the shore up onto the lava flow bed into the ocean. you can walk for miles and not see anyone.

youre making me want to book a ticket again.

one love
jah bill
April 19, 2009 11:49PM
Someone said the fish meals!!! Just ate some fresh ahi tuna off the BBQ! Paid $2.00 per pound! So while some food prices are high, some are very low or free (think all you can eat mangoes, avocados, guavas, lychees, and others when they are in season). Merry Monarch Festival and parade were both nice!!
April 20, 2009 01:53AM
The Hawaiians in Kona would call the hippys "fruit flies" back in the day because they would steal fruit thinking it was free and available to everyone who could pick it,not understanding that the lychee tree was in someone's yard.
April 20, 2009 01:57AM
if you get hooked on smoking ice and jump bail the dog will getcha w/ his mace

"Love The Life You Live & Live The Life You Love" Papa Briggy
April 20, 2009 08:59AM
haha! No joke Adam smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login