Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

great artist

Posted by mosquito killer 
great artist
February 20, 2008 04:36PM
paula fuga.

that's her name, an island gal outta hawaii.

i had never heard of her, but a friend of mine who is a music booker for the same company i work for kept telling me about her, providing me with myspace and other info on her. i never checked for it.

my friend visits her family regularly, who also live in hawaii, and this is how she became familiar with paula fuga. well she kept impressing upon me just how much she loves her music and that she thought i would too. she talked me into agreeing to go to the paula fuga show at the mission theater recently. she said her style was reggae-ish, and this scared me off somewhat. no, it scared me off alot! i really can't stomach most hawaiian reggae or cali reggae -- and this was the type of music and sound i was expecting. to be quite frank and honest, my expectations were pretty low, but a promise is a promise.

i am still not over what i experienced that evening; i simply cannot believe just how much she blew me away. from the very first song she did, i literally had chills. it very much reminded me of my reaction the first time i saw & heard dezarie appear and sing "gracious mama africa". chills. intense stuff.

well, that's just how the whole set started, and it just got better. and it was roots to the bone. so much rootsier than most recent ja releases i hear. it was just her with a eukalele (i know how bad this probably sounds...) and flute, one (incredible) hand drummer, and electric bass and an acoustic guitar. bare, sparse music with the voice of an angel singing some incredible and personal lyrics.

rarely am i moved like this any more at live shows. and rarely do i introduce myself to artists management; but i just had to. i spoke with her tour manager and have given him the info on contacting SNWMF folks about getting booked for this greatest of festivals. she would really surprise people at her talent and rootsy music. although the cd is a bit more polished sounding, with much more instrumentation than at the live show i saw, the cd (called "lilikoi"winking smiley still gives a good, although not nearly so amazing, indication as to how she will sound. if she ever does bless this fest, i hope it is with just the handful of musicians as they did it at the concert i witnessed. it was almost a month ago, and i am still revved up from her inspirational set.

i kid you not.

and i really had to finally share this, and although i expect many a doubter, just as i was a doubter, i really encourage folks to check her out. and SNWMF -- book her!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
Re: great artist
February 20, 2008 05:01PM
February 20, 2008 05:02PM
Paula Fuga

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 20, 2008 06:03PM
have you heard or seen her perform daniel? i think you'd dig her.

well, obviously.

: )

m.

February 20, 2008 06:20PM
The first i've ever heard of this artist was reading this post. I did listen to some sound samples on her web site, but that's all i know about her...
February 21, 2008 03:57PM
Aloha Vibez

+++++++Be the change you want to see in this world- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Go Green. Live Good, Do Good, and Support the Conscious Movement. It's up to I and I to make our manifestations a reality+++++++
February 21, 2008 04:20PM
i know i put it all on you
let your thoughts determine
how i feel about me too
but now i know i must be one within
before i create my own kin
i must be strong
i must rely on the Father
an independant daughter
needs a strong courageous mother
and now i know
i see the light it is clear to me now
and now i know

sweet & sour like a lilikoi
oh my joy

-----

thanks for posting the link. not sure if it will scare some off or not, but i'm still so jazzed i like to see anything she sings. i'm telling you, add some sweet hand drumming and a likkle bass and we're off! whether she was added under reggae or world music wouldn't matter, as long as i can check for her musical set again. i wouldn't miss her!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 21, 2008 10:49PM
Sounds great.

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
February 22, 2008 03:00AM
An if Braddah IZ was around, oooh bah!...what a jam it would be =)

+++++++Be the change you want to see in this world- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Go Green. Live Good, Do Good, and Support the Conscious Movement. It's up to I and I to make our manifestations a reality+++++++
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login