Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pirate Radio - London Style !

Posted by MSE 
MSE
Pirate Radio - London Style !
February 11, 2008 06:19AM
......... straight outta Battersea, London SW11 2001 -2003

i was early through the door at Style uk. approached by father fridge while (unknowingly) playing him a birthday selection in the beaufoy arms (battersea rise SW11) , my show began at 3pm on the 24th november 2001 and with it my only genuine ambition in adult life was fulfilled.

Style uk was a very typical pirate radio station. it was set up and run on a proper footing with a clear line of command from owner operator bagga john of bj promotions and run by fridge, engineer ricky stepper and the general on the ground , dj cruiser of the 2 twisted crew.

we broadcast initially from a unit in business centre on battersea park road SW11. i have no real clue to this day how signal reaches listeners but suffice to say a tiny speaker shaped device called a horn is attached to a mixer output and pointed out of a window to a transmittor. the latter (one of three but don t tell the DTi that) was put up and taken down everyday by ricky, fridge and cruiser and sat on top of a tower block on the opposite side of the battersea park road.

the studio equipment was basic, the regime not for the faint hearted and we frequently had to close down.

of course i am biased , but the sheer range and quality of music on Style and the absolute rule that "the music must come first" marked us out as different from the start. it was Uk garage's peak with local boys and friends so solid crew , who had been wth fridge and bagga from supreme fm days onwards, blowing up with 20 seconds as we started & a dozens or more following them onto Style to try their thing - small soldiers, kennard cartel, infa red crew, pimp squad, 2 twisted ...

and more....... soul 'pon top a soul from fridge, spi c, lard oil, man like kas ; jazz and gospel every single sunday ; a dozen great dancehall dj s - militant t, mr roy, g-force to name but three ; and revival selectors to match the very best - GW & Bobby Culture, Chucky Downbeat, Count Pinty, Redman and Ricky Stepper himself, straight outta the Atlantic Sound Sytem (Wandsworth/Battersea)

Evicted from the South London Business Centre and after a short period broadcasting from Fridge's house on Battersea Bridge Road, we moved to a spare room in a flat on the 20th floor of a block on Surrey Lane Estate SW11 in September 2002.

Sufffice to say it was pure pirate by now. The DTi game of cat and mouse got serious in 2002 and the station was busted with all equipment and several boxes of Ricky's precious records being taken away. A chunky heavy fine was levied and paid and , from memory , the equipment was traded against the return of the records.

The final hours were New Years Eve 2002 into 2003 and we signed off with a 11 hour special show lead by fridge and simo with mr longtime and i joining the action at about 1. a four hour one for one began at just after 4 and when Lady (now Empress) JC came in fresh and clean for her 9 am New Years Day gospel show, the studio was a picture of pirate radio carnage with sleeping selectors (fridge and simo) elated but slightly dishevelled selectors (MSE and Longtime) and much party debris..

The station folded two weeks later and we all remain friends for life. the station will remain immortal also, not least because of literally thousands of hours worth of show tapes being copied and spread from those days to this.

The happiest of times.

MSE

Jook Joint Thursdays, Battersea Bar , SW11
Swing Easy High Power in session every Thursday from 8pm.
Re: Pirate Radio - London Style !
February 11, 2008 06:28PM
mse can you put some of those tapes on cd and send me some?

by the way it looks like im moving out to the country soon so watch for an email with my new mailing address.

one love
jah bill
February 11, 2008 07:01PM
montana country or cali country?

by the way jb, i sent 2 cdrs, one a commercial cdr and one a much higher quality cdr. hopefully between the 2, one will work and you will hear the music just fine (uk 10"ers).

i hestitated to use one of the nicer cdrs since you had problems with one the only other time i sent you one (when i dubbed you a cpy of the studio one roots lp i snagged in amsterdam).

m.

February 12, 2008 02:11AM
so michele, not to hijack your thread mse, but do you burn your cds with a standalone burner or with a computer based program? just wondering and you can answer via email. i appreciate the disks and really like that one that didnt work. the other worked fine though.

one love
jah bill
February 13, 2008 10:16AM
But when are you coming a London, Bill?

Reel
MSE
February 13, 2008 04:58PM
Yes Bill - i have over 100 hours of 'me' on various formats and am just getting to grips with it all now so of course i will reciprocate your DBC & JBC & Rodigan shows.

T.

Jook Joint Thursdays, Battersea Bar , SW11
Swing Easy High Power in session every Thursday from 8pm.
February 13, 2008 05:06PM
always enjoy accidentally picking up the crucial roots music on pirate
late at night/early morning inna london...

one love one peace
February 13, 2008 06:15PM
[djgreedyg.proboards77.com]

www.myspace.com/musicalfever67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login