Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hank Holmes

Posted by Ras_Adam 
Hank Holmes
January 21, 2019 02:13AM

Lesterfari Simbarashe Raspect to A GR8 Soul! Bro.Hank Holmes! I'll nevah 4get stumbling onto KCRW bout 1979-80? And hearing "My Music!" Woe! Felt like being inna di desert & dying of Spiritual/Cultural thirst...then suddenly desperately finding an "Oasis" of enrichment, Spiritual/Cultural Water fe Our thirst. Bro.Tony Garnett, Miss Wire Waist, Bro.Kwaku Person-Lynn, Roger S. Bro.Chuck F. Roberto, etc etc...all played a pivotal part inna spreading conscious Reggae throughout southern California, L.A & america. Hank compiled an extensive, massive collection of serious Roots Music & all phases & periods(era's) of Jamaican Music. And Hank was a very devoted devotee of Q'Adamawi Negus Negaste Haile I Selassie I 1st of ITHIOPIA ...Our Bredren Hank Holmes an unsung hero of The Kings Music! A Humble RastaMan... R.I.E.P Fly away home to Zion! Jah Roll Call! LKM....RASPECT! I-dolences {Condolences}. He has been & always will be dearly missed.
Re: Hank Holmes
January 21, 2019 02:39AM
January 30, 2019 07:02PM
I was a huge fan of Hank Holmes, sorry to hear of his passing. I listened to The Reggae Beat radio show religiously since it’s inception in 1979 to its demise in 1994 and taped probably 75% of the shows and Hanks musical contributions were my favorites. I got to thank him personally for introducing me to the obscure 45 single “ Women You Check For Vanity” by the Lionites which turned out to be my most treasured reggae record of all time. I am so grateful for all the musical joy he provided me. On another note, speaking of Miss Wirewaist(Rita), I frequently used to listen to and tape her show as well on KCRW. At that time, she was an older Jamaican uptown record collector and Radio Personality and she played lots of stuff that I’d pretty sure was not in Hanks or Rogers collections. She turned me on to Eddie Lovette’s music which I would never have had the joy of hearing, so many thanks to her as well.
January 30, 2019 07:25PM
I listened to Reggae Beat with Hank, Chuck, and Roger from 1986 - 1991 when I lived in LA. That show was definitely a big factor in developing my love and understanding of Reggae music. I considered Hank a friend and was a guest in his house on several occasions. My condolences to his family, especially his lovely wife, Lahki (sp).
January 30, 2019 07:56PM
I also was honoured to spend a bit of time with Hank early in the Reggae Renew-Sense times ... A truly humble & gracious 1 spreading the good vibez & helping many ... RIP Rock in Perpetuity brethren ... Love to his family

ps: who dat other skinny yute with the big grin in the photo?
January 31, 2019 01:09AM
Peacemakeya
I also was honoured to spend a bit of time with Hank early in the Reggae Renew-Sense times ... A truly humble & gracious 1 spreading the good vibez & helping many ... RIP Rock in Perpetuity brethren ... Love to his family

ps: who dat other skinny yute with the big grin in the photo?

LOL! Are you joking? That's Roger Steffens!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login