Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: Murder Mountain

Posted by Ninja 
OT: Murder Mountain
January 09, 2019 08:08PM
anyone else seen this Doc on Netflix? It is funny (not the Doc) but I used to roll around all over the place down in Southern Humboldt totally ignorant as to what was going on. I mean, I knew what was going on.. I guess I just never came face to face with the danger element. I did live in Eureka for 3 years so maybe living in a sketchy town and being young just made me immune to it. IF you haven't seen it, it is a very interesting series.
Re: OT: Murder Mountain
January 09, 2019 08:14PM
That @#$%& spooked me I thought I recognized the bridge in the opening sequence but it's Humboldt county not Butte.
January 09, 2019 08:16PM
For the fun loving hippie drug that pot is there sure is a lot of mayhem and evil associated with the grower underworld.
January 09, 2019 08:17PM
cause it is SPOOKY.. for sure.. been out in those woods so many times. from down in Laytonville, Hoopa, Covelo.. all over.. back in the early 90's thinking it was just hippies and natural things going on.. I always knew there was a "sketchy" element to it all but just figured it was just Eureka being Eureka
January 09, 2019 08:30PM
We're a few episodes in and I'm hooked! Would definitely recommend it as well.
January 09, 2019 11:45PM
never seen it but I had an ak pulled on me and pointed at my head when I was 13 on a fishing trip just because I walked too close to a garden I didnt even know was there
January 10, 2019 12:29AM
I saw a poster for Just One in the background on one of the episodes. That was cool.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
January 10, 2019 12:32AM
yes, and nuff "reggae on the river" t shirts to be seen in it too.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
January 10, 2019 02:29AM
Yup, saw the whole thing! (didn't notice any ROTR t-shirts though?) I thought it was a pretty good series. That area east of Garberville definitely seems pretty sketchy, much more so than in northern Humboldt. I've been out that way a few times because my friend inherited property out there (but he's not a grower) and have driven on the roads shown in the series, and it did feel kinda wild wild west out there. I find it pretty sad regarding all the missing persons, including how local law enforcement completely dropped the ball in investigating the main subject of the series...
January 10, 2019 03:05AM
Reggabe
Yup, saw the whole thing! (didn't notice any ROTR t-shirts though?) I thought it was a pretty good series. That area east of Garberville definitely seems pretty sketchy, much more so than in northern Humboldt. I've been out that way a few times because my friend inherited property out there (but he's not a grower) and have driven on the roads shown in the series, and it did feel kinda wild wild west out there. I find it pretty sad regarding all the missing persons, including how local law enforcement completely dropped the ball in investigating the main subject of the series...

There was definately a ROTR sweatshirt on a young boy in one of the earlier episodes.
January 10, 2019 04:48PM
Very gripping and tragic story, i binge watched the docuseries in two nights! It's like the Wild West in those hills! Saw a JBoog hat, Seedless hat, and the two guys from Slightly Stoopid had a brief cameo at the benefit bbq scene.
January 10, 2019 05:21PM
Ya a lot of "familiar" faces

Mikey J.
Very gripping and tragic story, i binge watched the docuseries in two nights! It's like the Wild West in those hills! Saw a JBoog hat, Seedless hat, and the two guys from Slightly Stoopid had a brief cameo at the benefit bbq scene.
January 10, 2019 05:54PM
My first year at Reggae on the River was 1996 and I was oblivious to any 'dangerous vibes' being out there. I drove out to Shelter Cove and remember seeing characters just pop out of the woodwork and the trees. But I wasnt gonna stumble on to anything becuase I stayed on the main roads and the festival grounds. Like you Ninja, maybe "being young just made me immune to it."

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
January 10, 2019 06:42PM
Just finished.. very sad for the whole area... There are some people there who are into the right things but just as many if not more who are in it to "win" it and they are going to drag the whole place down. .. as to ROTR.. last year I went to Reggae may have been around 2005... I used to think it was me just getting older and starting to see more things go on around me but I think it was a combination of that and people just getting more sketchy. Way different than any of the shows I went to in like 92 and 93.. at the Mateel and at ROTR.. The last year I went to ROTR I was probably 25 or so and had two youths (maybe like 16) tell me they were going to spray me with liquid acid because I wouldn't let them into the volunteer camp without wrist bands on.. I was like... you have to be kidding me at this point.. that was a "vibe" I wasn't into.. who goes to a show let alone a reggae show to get threatened? The good news was that after that I started making SNWMF my spot yearly.
January 10, 2019 07:26PM
Ninja, you might be happy to know that ROTR has mellowed considerably since it's return to French's Camp. Nothing like those "sketchy" years of the mid-2000's. It's still got the all-night party vibe, but most people there just want to chill and have a good time.
January 10, 2019 07:47PM
yeah I imagine I will be making it back..it was good to take a break but to this day.. nothing beats it at its best.. was a just a great time.. glad to hear it.
January 10, 2019 09:25PM
Ninja
anyone else seen this Doc on Netflix? It is funny (not the Doc) but I used to roll around all over the place down in Southern Humboldt totally ignorant as to what was going on. I mean, I knew what was going on.. I guess I just never came face to face with the danger element. I did live in Eureka for 3 years so maybe living in a sketchy town and being young just made me immune to it. IF you haven't seen it, it is a very interesting series.

I've searched for this title on Netflix and have come up blank. Is this the correct /complete title? I've checked Documentaries and Movies in general with no luck. HElp?

I've also heard "Who Shot the Sheriff?" is on Netflix but I can't find that either.

Jah Son
January 10, 2019 09:40PM
January 10, 2019 11:51PM
did that work??
January 11, 2019 07:10AM
Ninja
did that work??

the link took me to that page of netflix but after I clicked on "add to my list" and then checked my queue, it didn't appear. And a search on "Murder Mountain" comes up blank.

I'm useless with tech stuff so don't know what's wrong.

Might just have to stream it from the Netflix site.

Thanks for the help.

Jah Son

PS after some thought I realized that maybe streaming is the only way this doc can be viewed. Still not sure why a search doesn't reveal the title tho'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 08:29PM by jahson.
January 11, 2019 11:09AM
Been up some of those roads. Been in some situations. Not surprised. Cannabiz is in. The hustle is out for most. Times are changing. Reggae music in Norcal will be affected.
January 11, 2019 02:56PM
yeah I think you have a clash of cultures and I don't mean "reggae culture" I mean more "festival culture" or more clearly stated a bunch of people not from an area coming into an area and the local youth's reaction to it. In many cases it is people who would never hang in the same circles doing it for 3 or 4 days. There tend to be "incidents". I hope though if people recognize that they are visitors in another persons home this issue can be mitigated. We will see though. Life is crazy and swings back and forth.
January 14, 2019 05:57PM
I do not have Netflix nor have I seen the doc but I have lived in So Hum for almost 40yrs. I do not need to see Hollywood's interpretation of my community. They always stretch the truth to their liking. I knew this when they ran ads looking for messy cabins. Alderpoint is 18 miles east of Garberville (30 min driving time) but the cabin they say is in Alderpoint is actually in Briceland about 7 miles west of G'ville. Read the story about it...........[kymkemp.com]
January 14, 2019 06:15PM
There was nothing Hollywood about this documentary... the property mentioned was in less than 5 minutes of the documentary and in no way shape or form did the producers of the documentary try to make Alderpoint or Southern Humboldt look like a shite heap. I would recommend watching the documentary before commenting on it. Never at any point did I think the people making the doc had an agenda. it was just a doc about a curious part of the world that otherwise doesn't a lot of light shone on it... BTW I don't know about Southern Humboldt, but i know about Eureka and that part was spot on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login