Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reggae tings on my mind

Posted by akee123 
reggae tings on my mind
August 07, 2018 12:22AM
Reggae fans need to be aware of the "highly anticipated" releases, such as Proteje's latest. I'm not finding a whole lot of quality besides the previously released singles. Makes me also think back to Romain Virgo's "highly anticipated" Lovesick album.

It was great seeing Toots on the Jimmy Fallon show recently...but....not sure the new "Marley" single will do much. Too bad since he had a large audience available.

If you are looking for an underrated previously released album from 1980, try out G.T. Moore's "Harry J Sessions."

Robert Dallas does an excellent version of Barrington Levy's "Prison Oval Rock." Got to give him his props for taking on a classic song.

Say what you want about Slightly Stoopid, but you need to give them credit for continuing to collaborate with a variety of reggae artists, including two new songs with Don Carlos, a high-quality selection with Alborosie and a failed attempt with Yellowman (he has lost his voice).

How come when playing Tarrus Riley's "'Haunted" I never hear deejays tell listeners that Jimmy Cliff sang "Haunted" over 25 yrs ago?

Anyone else out there, like me, thinking they can still find a delicious single from Gregory Isaacs that maybe has been lost over the years? I keep trying....but keep running into lots of 80's and 90's digital riddims and incredibly poor production.

Although not completely reggae, you might want to check out Dave Wakeling of the English Beat's latest album, "Here We Go Love."Tony Chin and Wayne Jobson play on the album. Little know reggae fact about Dave is that he had the Congos on his label in the early 80s.
Re: reggae tings on my mind
August 07, 2018 06:10AM
Interesting. I hear ya on the "highly anticipated" hype, but when I listened to Protoje's newest I thought it was pretty good! And a few of the tracks were downright stellar!

But I had no type of "anticipation" for that album, so maybe I was just pleasantly surprised...

I do worry abut the future of reggae though, it definitely seems like the genre is in decline, and even the good new stuff has to be packaged as some kind of cheesy "reggae revival" thing...

Where is the next Midnite?
August 07, 2018 07:24AM
lol, there will not be another Midnite album (my prediction) all we get is

Akae Beka

i never heard Protoje's album advertised as highly anticipated, though i rarely pay attention to ad's. i did find the album way better than JUST the singles that were released earlier... three tunes that i really thought as toppa top are Flames, Camera Show, & A Matter Of Time...

different tastes i guess

i think that reggae has as much chance of survival as those that make it, which is a good chance, in my view... providing the world continues to survive.. .

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 07, 2018 07:39AM
but on the whole "highly anticipated" theme, yeah... i get the feeling that's a term that most times only means that it's not gonna be all that great! lol
it's the ones that don't make these claims that usually stand the test.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 07, 2018 05:16PM
Yeah, no more Midnite albums unfortunately.

I meant who will be the next band like Midnite that takes the reggae genre to the next level?
August 09, 2018 09:48AM
You want two "new" Gregory Isaacs?

I recorded Favorite Love and Footprints in 2006 at Harry J and had those mixed by Steven Stanley a few months ago

August 12, 2018 06:55PM
gbougard
You want two "new" Gregory Isaacs?

I recorded Favorite Love and Footprints in 2006 at Harry J and had those mixed by Steven Stanley a few months ago

Yes....solid tunes....hard to believe he's been gone for so long.

thanks for all the TABOU releases....Cat Coore solo album is underrated. Plus the Third World live is top notch quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login