Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae on the River 2018 ,how’d it go for you?

Posted by Ras Matches 
Reggae on the River 2018 ,how’d it go for you?
August 06, 2018 06:56PM
For me Arrested Development made my weekend, then I packed up Saturday night and left Sunday morning. I’d guesstimate there were about 2500 people total. Not much to say here, we’ll see about next year.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Reggae on the River 2018 ,how’d it go for you?
August 06, 2018 09:37PM
Surprisingly, Arrested Development was actually the highlight for me as well, throwing me back to 1992, my senior year of HS. Mavado did fine, Busy did better, Cham was on fire, Hempress Sativa was also amazing & The Wailing Souls & Israel Vibration sounded good overall. Every artist I heard had major issues with mic levels. Early day times at South Beach were more enjoyable to me than later night times, and crucial if you wanted to hear anything prior to 5pm any day with nothing happening on the main stage until around then. Smaller attendance meant smaller lines for food & drinks with tables always open to sit & eat. Left by 3pm Sunday...

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 09:41PM by DJ Spleece.
August 07, 2018 12:13AM
I had a absolute blast and will 100% go again next year. Less people, better vibe, no lines, camped on river, no drama, great beach and after party. Movado was the only downfall.
August 07, 2018 01:41AM
I stayed thru Monday morning as I was chilling with fam. Arrested D was a highlight and Speech dropped some serious talk in the press tent. I told you guys they would be great. I love it when a band is having fun. Busy also delivered an amazing set after getting warmed up. Mavado was better than last time I saw him, but lived true to his rep of way too many pull ups. Hempress Sativa delivered a memorizing set. The lack of crowds was welcome. There were plenty of great camping and parking spots. Arrival was a sh!t show as was expected but excusing the learning curve, they were relatively organized once they got rolling. There are always issues about who gets to go where and inconsistencies with access. I didn't see NOMO tho? Did I somehow miss you bredda? Over all we all had a great time and vibes were large with all the DJ's. I am a full proponent of late afternoon starts and chilling during the day, I never had a dull moment. Absolutely going again next year. Great to see al the folks that I saw.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 07, 2018 01:47AM
Nomotrouble was there, he's posted in that other, earlier "lineup guesses" RotR thread by RasMatches...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 01:48AM by Ras Danny.
August 07, 2018 06:20AM
I saw you from afar when i was in the pit between shows Treez, that's as close as we got. I was not invited to go where you were. They restricted us from almost the whole backstage. I liked how there were five people in the viewing areas on the sides of the stage this year. Good look.

For me, Hempress Sativa was nice, Israel Vibes great as usual, Cham and Busy Signal did not do it for me. I don't care for dancehall, they both did some songs that were good but i wouldn't hang around for that again. Recorded all of friday and the first three bands on Saturday, and packed it up. The only other band i would have wanted to see was Morgan Heritage who were scheduled to play for 45 minutes sunday evening.

The treatment of those of us who got 'media' passes was sad. I arrived the night before the fest started and dragged my tripods down to the bowl. When i got there i was told that the press tent was moved backstage, and lo, there it was. Before the fest we had been informed that media would have no access to backstage, just a media area on the side of the stage with shade and water and access to the photo pit. But there was the media tent backstage so i assumed i would have backstage access to get to the media tent. When i arrived backstage with the two wristbands that i was assured was all i would need, i was told i had no backstage access. Our buddy Burton was doing photo pit security and explained to the other guy that that would not work for me. Over the next few hours i was told one thing then another, that my wrist band would give me access, and that it would not. I could walk through the tunnel into the photo pit, but could not walk from the photo pit back under the tunnel, even though the end of the tunnel was ten feet from the damned media tent. Which i never went in again all weekend. No shaded area, no water, no nothing.

Some of my friends threw a fit and got a backstage pass. I was variously told that there were not enough of those for all media folks, and also that that was bs, they just wouldn't give them access.

What kind of Trumpian Orwellian nonsense is this High Times?

When i arrived at the gate on the path from the state park, the dude stationed there told me that there were five security contingents involved, but no one had told him what color wrist bands he should let in, so he let in anyone with any sort of wristband. But they made real sure that none of those suspicious media types could mix with an artist after a performance. On my way home i wondered why High Times would want any other media there anyway. Without them, they can control the coverage, print a nice splashy review of the show in their mag, and they are probably happy.

I don't ask for much from these folks. I have bought a ticket every year except last year, when they went belly up. All i ask for is a photo pit pass and backstage upgrade so i can videotape, and to not be hassled constantly for wanting human services. When you spend an hour holding my videocamera in 90 degree heat, you need ice water. Having a jug of it for the photographers and security in the pit seems basic, as does having bathrooms that you don't have to compete with the public for in the break between bands. For the seven shows i recorded i will probably spend an additional 60 to 70 hours editing and posting videos. So after this years festival, i feel like saying that in the future i'm going to need an all access pass. Otherwise, the bs is just too much in addition to all the walking and hauling of equipment to get there.

I've threatened to quit reggae on the river before. I spose if they bring Dezarie back it won't matter, i'll go anyway. But i got a cupful of bad vibes with my reggae this weekend. Hempress vid soon come.

Love that reggae!
August 07, 2018 01:13PM

Love that reggae!
August 07, 2018 01:14PM
Don Carlos was, again, the class act of the fest, highly entertaining even though i saw him three months ago.

Love that reggae!
August 07, 2018 05:45PM
Even tho you didn’t enjoy it, thank you for recording Busy Signals set. For those of us who do like dancehall, being able to relive that set would be awesome. Hopefully you will be posting that set somewhere we can all enjoy it (and be able to show the family who did not go).

Sorry to hear you got the run around all weekend.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 07, 2018 11:11PM
Sorry to hear that Nomo! Yo'd think an event sponsored by a magazine would be friendly to media guests, LOL! I think they kind of took over the reins last minute, might want to give them another chance with proper time to plan things. smiling smiley

I went through a similar sitch back when I was helping with their website: showed up expecting a pass and took several hours to find the person with the right list!
August 08, 2018 12:46AM
They were friendly to media. When they originally mapped out backstage they had the press tent attached to the Ambassador Lounge which meant that media had access to the lounge to get to the tent but not back stage. But once they got here they realized it was not going to work so moved the tent to the opposite side of back stage. But there was no way for the media to get to it. On Fri Eric of KMUD who was running the press tent pointed this out to HT and within an hour it was changed so all media could come back stage. There was still no way to get from Ambassador lounge to back stage but on Fri nite one of the owners of HT saw this and had the plywood and metal fencing removed so there was access from Lounge to press tent. Did you ever go to the lounge Nomo? All other media did just like DJ Treez said. Great bathrooms, plenty of water, etc. Also the press tent had a cooler with water and sodas......... Also media has access to the viewing stand on the Ambassador side. You did not have to "know" somebody to get the access. I was on the other side and saw numerous media go up the ramp on the other side.Nomo, you also mentioned above if they even had done any interviews. All but Mavado. There wasn't an empty seat in the tent during Arrested Development. Yes there was a cluster #%&&% at the box office but that happens. Remember this year at SNWMF? We were not listed at the media check in. Had to drive down the block to admissions. And then I had to wait over a half hour for someone to find Daniel and approve me even tho I have been to all but 2 shows.
August 08, 2018 02:09AM
You are welcome Higrade, it's probably better than i remember, i was tired already. I will post a song from Busy's set. Part of my problem was that after i was given the run around on friday i just said f... it, got drinks on my own and didn't ever go to the media tent. they wouldn't let me go out the back of the photo pit to the media tent 10 ft away. On saturday i had already decided to split after Don Carlos. The evening schedule doesn't work as well for me, i like the afternoon performances into the evening. Maybe i'm just getting bitchy in my old age.

Love that reggae!
August 08, 2018 03:53AM
I'm with you Nomo. Not a dancehall fan. I got so bored with Cham except when he sang "Heros" which he just recently released which is not dancehall. I've always wanted to see Busy Signal because he keeps it in balance and he did not disappoint. Movado was a nightmare. I got some good shots and hung a little until his negative energy was too much and I headed home.
August 14, 2018 06:21PM
I had a great time
Cham and Busy were spectacular, wailing souls and arrested development were very entertaining, morgan heritage and don carlos did their thing... Djs at south beach killed it day and night
The no music until 5 on the main stage was a welcome change for me as I am usually bummed for performers playing in the heat prior to then
As a festival dj I will say this year was the easiest ever for getting our credentials (no waiting and no confusion)
Looking forward to next year!!!

Respect Same Way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login