Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite performance of SNWMF 2018 ?

Posted by Ras Matches 
Favorite performance of SNWMF 2018 ?
July 08, 2018 09:15PM
Too many to mention individually, all the foundational members of reggae were great! I really enjoyed seeing Dave Hillyard, Teddy Afro and Kingston Rudieska.
This was my first year attending,I really enjoyed the vibe , reminiscent of the Monterey Bay reggae fest which was held at the Monterey Bay Fairgrounds with multiple stages.

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”
Re: Favorite performance of SNWMF 2018 ?
July 08, 2018 10:07PM
I always have a problem when my students ask what my favorite _______ is.

Seems to imply that you like everything else less, so I never give them a straight answer.

I tend to check out artists I've never seen before over those I've seen many times. Am also a big fan of ROOTS REGGAE.

I DO NOT hang out in front of the big stage when the sun is blaring down.

Lastly, SNWMF is as much a reunion for me as it is a music festival. I find my shady spot and then reason with old friends.

in no particular order, I really enjoyed

Protoje
Jah9
Natty
Kingston Rudieska
Cocoa Tea
Mighty Diamonds
Spiritual
Dread Mar I
Max Romeo
Culture w/Kenyatta Hill

It was also a real pleasure to see Ras Elliott after so many years, BOTH sisters of Shocks of Sheba, and talking to Amlak Tafari for the first time in over 20 years.

I was disappointed to miss some old friends:

Postmon
Ralston and Della Grant
Amy Wachtel
Ras Danny
and many others who did not make it this year.

The Guam Posse had a great time and we look forward to returning next year.

Give thanks to Warren, Gretchen, Daniel and all the rest of the crew for a wonderful evernt. You treat us so well.

Daniel, I had one extra upgrade because of someone not showing up. Ran into Niyorah in the crowd on Saturday, and he was unable to get backstage for some reason, so I gave him that extra upgrade.

Only 12 months to the next pilgrimage.....

Ever forward
Jah Son aka "Tom from Guam"
July 08, 2018 11:05PM
My favorite had to be Max Romeo, as I've been listening to reggae since 1986 and he was on my bucket list of artists I needed to see live. I was right there in front of the stage when the power blew out. "Too hot for Babylon!"

Also Steel Pulse continues to impress me. Been lucky to catch them twice in 1 month and like their focus on foundation tunes. They're still going strong!
July 09, 2018 12:55AM
I really enjoyed Randy Valentine, Half Pint, Queen Makedah, Kingston Rudieska, Culture, NoMaddz, Cocoa Tea, The Mighty Diamonds and Max Romeo. But there was no part that was not at least enjoyable! Although i faded for Beres Hammond i caught the first seven acts on the Valley Stage on saturday, that string stands up with any single day on one stage while i've been going to snwmf.

Love that reggae!
July 09, 2018 03:53AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2018 04:09AM by Reggabe.
July 09, 2018 04:06PM
A highlight for me was when Nattali Rize, Protoje, Kelissa, Randy Valentine and Jah9 all touched the mic during JWS latenight set.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 10, 2018 04:37PM
Been waiting for cocoa tea for a long time, so that was crucial for the I. Also really impressed by Spiritual, great set Sunday night, bought his album and hope he gets some forward movement from the festival. Felt protoje improved significantly since his last performance at SNWMF. Also thought Romain Virgo was solid, he wasn’t an act I was really looking forward to, but he definitely surprised me with his performance in the heat of the day. Also loved seeing culture, hearing those classic tunes and seeing Kenyatta as well as Albert walker. All in all, left with my cup full and running over, give thanks SNWMF!!
July 10, 2018 06:08PM
I agree with everyone. It was the best of the old and the best of the young. There were so many magical moments. Glad you got a Spiritual CD Teachdem.There was none when I went to get one but did get Randy Valentine and Kingston Rudieska. I really appreciated Natalie Rize's wise words she shared with the audience. I thought I would get tired but the great music and vibes kept me happily hopping all over the place. When I think about that weekend or look at my photos it brings me right back........... Here's a link to my photos

[www.flickr.com]
July 10, 2018 09:42PM
Very nice mamacali.

Love that reggae!
July 11, 2018 11:14PM
curmudgeons tend to prefer tea....
July 11, 2018 11:27PM
i liked his show also. I saw him once before in about 2010, and i swear the setlist was quite similar.....Not that it's a bad setlist. I like how he does marley tunes too. For me a great end to a great day of music, i could not last thru Beres. Even with Ras James impassioned request, i could not do it. "He is the greatest living reggae star!"

Love that reggae!
July 12, 2018 11:21PM
Awesome festival and awesome vibes this year
July 12, 2018 11:28PM
Sorry for being a little negative here, but I was pretty disappointed in Cocoa Tea's set. (as were most of my friends) I counted 4 Bob Marley covers, and 2 Gregory, and I thought that was overkill. Any more than 1-2 Marley covers is too much for me. He has tons of original material he could play, but came with his watered down festival set. And he didn't even play "18 and Over" which is his most classic song!

His set at the ROTR after party at Cook's Valley was waaaay better!
July 12, 2018 11:31PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 11:34PM by east bay herbalist.
July 12, 2018 11:33PM
Awesome festival and awesome vibes this year. Highlights for me were Protoje, Cocoa Tea, Randy Valentine and Taurus Riley. My absolute favorite though was Culture Sunday evening on the village stage. I've always liked Kenyatta and Culture, but watching my 8 yr old daughter dance and enjoy the set so much puts this set in my SNWMF top 5...Thanks to all the organizers and people involved, you guys crushed it this year....
AJ
July 15, 2018 12:47PM
My top three artists this year............
The Mighty Diamonds were my number one....IRIE........to the best of my recollection this was the 20th time I've seen the Diamonds with Tabby since 1982. They have never failed putting out good vibes and showmanship. I never get tried of seeing them....and hopefully there will be a next time.smiling smiley
Wayne Wade
Max Romeo

Artists I haven't seen before that blew me away................
Jah 9
Randy Valentine
Teddy Afro
Kingston Rudieska
Dread Mar I
Too bad Flavia Coelho couldn't make it into the country.....I'm sure she would have been on this list

All in all......one of the best lineups for SNWMF since I started going in 2001.

Irie, irie job SNWMF crew!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login