Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alpha Blondy in Santa Cruz

Posted by Sense 
Alpha Blondy in Santa Cruz
May 25, 2018 07:37PM
Curious to see if any boarders caught alpha blondy at the catalyst yesterday evening.
I was hoping to go but something came up. I have never seen him perform, but have heard his Sunday evening performance on radio as I was driving away from either rotr or snwmf a few years ago and was impressed.
Frankly don't know much about his music and vibe but the little of what I've seen and heard I have liked.
Anyone see the show at the catalyst?
Hope I will one day see him. He is 65 yrs young...
Re: Alpha Blondy in Santa Cruz
May 25, 2018 07:56PM
Good show! His voice still sounds good. He was backed by a full band , I think 9 band members plus blondy.
The New Kingston family was a hot opener too

Cali roots show was nice too , Peace in Liberia stuck in my head, wonder if he’ll be around for ROTR

“Blues, Metal, Reggae”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 04:02PM by Ras Matches.
May 26, 2018 02:14AM
Sense - Please do yourself a favor and catch Alpha next time around, preferably as a headliner to a festival. He truly is a legendary artist...
May 26, 2018 02:27PM
Alpha was great on Thursday in Santa Cruz, and great again on Friday in Monterey. The Solar System is a top-notch band that operates at a higher level.
May 27, 2018 12:47AM
His latter day live "Wish You Were Here" is one of the greatest covers inna reggae style of all time

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 12:48AM by papaken.
AJ
May 27, 2018 02:36PM
papaken
His latter day live "Wish You Were Here" is one of the greatest covers inna reggae style of all time

thumbs up
May 27, 2018 03:09PM
AJ that's the clip I'm talking about!! So nice! ...In 2016, I think you missed that year( sad face), Alpha closed with Wish you Were Here and it was every bit as good as the performance in the video you posted...I think he ends with that one often nowadays. Looking forward to seeing you and sister Nancy this year
AJ
May 27, 2018 04:21PM
PapaKen..........
We were there in 2016. Loved AB's set. Also love his set in 2013 @ SNWMF.
We did catch him a few months before the 2016 SNWMF set in Lafayette, Louisiana.
Free concert downtown Lafayette to a non-reggae crowd......they loved it......he killed it for 1 1/2 hours. He ended with "Wish You Were Here."
We did not make it to SNWMF 2015 & 2017..........Greece was calling!

Looking forward to catching up with you. Soon come.
Greeting from Sister Nancy!
Cheers
AJ
May 27, 2018 05:55PM
Yeah, that Wish You Were Here cover is awesome!

I've seen Alpha close to a dozen times since 1990, and his last performance closing out ROTR a few years ago may have been the best performance I've seen from him! STELLAR!
May 27, 2018 11:19PM
Wow AJ - I guess I'm missing you guys from last year. The first year I saw Alpha was 1998 at Reggae on the Rocks in Denver - it was a long time coming as I had barely missed him several times since 1989. The Rocks show was epic and it was the last year they allowed vending in the amphitheatre....I was at 2013 Snwmf but had to get back early and missed that Sunday night. Yeah, 2016 was one for the ages- what a show close....very cool you got to see him at Festival de Lousiane??- heard so many good things about that fest but have never been- or was it another event in Lafayette??
...it seems the New Orleans music scene and Louisiana in general has started to accept reggae even more now - I think Jazzfest had Steel Pulse and Toots this year...

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
May 28, 2018 04:13AM
Many thanks to those who provided their views. Sounds like I need to make this happen and now regret even more not being at the catalyst on Thursday. likely a good venue to see him. Hope Alpha will come around again soon. that backing band of his does sound mighty tight.

really bummed about having to back out of that catalyst show. cali roots - I haven't been since it was the Monterey bay reggae fest a few years back. festivals to me often mean shorter sets and more people, not that its bad, just different than top bill at solo show. regardless, thanks - sounds like Alpha is a must see.

peace
AJ
May 28, 2018 03:26PM
PapaKen...
Yes it was at "Festival International de Louisane"
We have gone five times since 2010. Wonderful world music festival.
Different vibe than SNWMF, with mostly world music, zydeco & Cajun bands, but in my book it ranks right up there with SNWMF.

I know Burning Spear played there before we started going.
Reggae bands we have seen at FIL........
Steel Pulse
Wailers with Family Man
Roots Underground
Taj Weekes & Adowa
Rocky Dawuni
Alpha Blondy
We did not make it this year, but they had Culture on the lineup.

FIL......free festival for five days, with five to six stages, tasty food, cold drinks and really wonderful people. Also a big plus....after festival music each night at different clubs nearby (walking distance)....can't beat it.
We will go back to this festival.

Cheers
May 29, 2018 09:02PM
Alpha Blondy's Sunday night closing set at Reggae on the River in 1992 was transformational. He ably followed a soulful, energetic Jimmy Cliff and Burning Spear, who delivered an awe-inspiring howl of rasta meditation and exhortation. Truly a peak day of music and communion. The kind of experience that probably reorganizes a person's DNA.

I've tried to see all of these performers, as often as possible, since then.
Respect.

Alpha's 1992 set is up on mixcloud from Dubwise Garage
www.mixcloud.com/dubwisegaragecollection/alpha-blondy-reggae-on-the-river-1992-08-02-soundboard-amazing-show/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login