Marijuana
November 09, 2016 03:25PM

Legalized in California, Nevada and Massachusetts, and leading in Maine. Medical marijuana also authorized in Florida, North Dakota and Arkansas. It's probably a necessary thing given the other election results of last night....
Re: Marijuana
November 09, 2016 05:25PM
This is great news but we will now have one of the biggest douche bags in the country as president. Shameful and embarrassing.
November 09, 2016 07:10PM
Yes yes, but who will advertise it?
November 09, 2016 07:35PM
two friends medical gardens already cut down today... this is not legalization
November 09, 2016 08:30PM
corporatization is more accurate...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
November 09, 2016 08:38PM
Exactly Tahoe and HiGrade! Unlike Colorado the tax revenue from sales here in CA will not go to the general fund, but a special fund that has a panel that will pick and choose who gets money and how much they will receive. It is not guaranteed to go to schools, public transportation, etc. We failed the good people of CA by not keeping the herb with the people, but instead, surrendering it to the corporations. The only pro IMO, and a huge one at that, is that the passing of Prop 64 further strengthens our decriminalization efforts set forth by Prop 47 two years ago. Overall, I chalk the passing of Prop 64 as a loss for the people.
November 09, 2016 11:38PM
I don't get the whole "commercialization" argument. This is a capitalist democracy last time I checked. Do any of you actually think legalization with a ban on commercial sales (by certain entities) would ever happen? Of course not, that's not the way our system works, and I'm not even sure how it would be possible. I hate Monsanto too, but we can't make legislation that excludes corporations we don't agree with simply because we don't. What you can do is step up the fight against said corporations, but that's not something that should hold up our personal freedoms. Some company will ALWAYS have money to invest in new markets, but now at least we are in on the ground floor of helping to shape the legalization model, instead of watching from the sidelines.

As someone who has been fighting this fight since the 70's - it's about damn time is all I have to say
November 09, 2016 11:51PM
Dubguy
I don't get the whole "commercialization" argument. This is a capitalist democracy last time I checked. Do any of you actually think legalization with a ban on commercial sales (by certain entities) would ever happen? Of course not, that's not the way our system works, and I'm not even sure how it would be possible. I hate Monsanto too, but we can't make legislation that excludes corporations we don't agree with simply because we don't. What you can do is step up the fight against said corporations, but that's not something that should hold up our personal freedoms. Some company will ALWAYS have money to invest in new markets, but now at least we are in on the ground floor of helping to shape the legalization model, instead of watching from the sidelines.

As someone who has been fighting this fight since the 70's - it's about damn time is all I have to say

Word.
November 10, 2016 12:08AM
it feels like commercialization, because the only real difference between it and what we have now is the setting up a system of highly regulated sales. Anyone, and i mean anyone, over the age of 18 can get a medical card. You can get it over the internet, take a photo of your dl and upload it, confirm the ailment you need ganja for, and voila, you've got a card. So the herb is easily available to anyone now. what this law does is restrict your grow area to 10 by 10, not allow smoking in public(should be allowed anywhere cigs are allowed), restrict what you can carry to one ounce, and in two years time create a big sales machine. I'm okay with the sales machine if one was free to grow one's own with less restriction. To me this doesn't feel like freeing up the herb, but i did vote for it because i've been waiting for this day a long time also. i was hoping there would be several different proposals to choose from. This is better than nothing, but flawed.

Pale Ryder, i think this song goes, 'Commercialize it, and oh boy, will they advertise it....'

Love that reggae!
November 10, 2016 01:11AM
Ive been on the phone all day with sheriffs, city planners, county commissioners, and lawyers... prop 64 has so many holes in it we will be seeing a lotta major court cases in the next year in order to set precedent
It was more legal for a lot of us yesterday

Respect Same Way
November 10, 2016 02:02AM
Let the courts hammer out the rough and sharp edges. That is how all new laws are refined after passage.

For those of us with no real skin in the game, it feels like a garden gate has opened to a more civilized and honest approach to cannabis.

Industrial hemp is next. And that will be more important IMO.
November 10, 2016 02:54AM
for sure jahsprey, that there is no industrial hemp grown here now is so dumb.

Love that reggae!
November 10, 2016 08:05PM
Dubguy

Actually most of the current industry is watching by the sidelines. It is estimated that there is 50,000 cottage growers in CA. Why not try to preserve and protect that? 64 does not.
November 10, 2016 08:16PM

It is estimated that there is 50,000 cottage growers in CA. Why not try to preserve and protect that? 64 does not.

For those of us with no 'skin in the game' can someone please explain what, specifically, about the new law would force 'cottage growers' out of the market....?
November 10, 2016 09:48PM
Can I now legally buy herb in Cali when I visit in the summer from Guam to attend SNWMF?

Can I now legally carry herb in Cali when I visit in the summer from Guam ?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Jah Son
November 10, 2016 10:36PM
nomotrouble
This is better than nothing, but flawed.

Yeah, not perfect, but:
"So the herb is easily available to anyone now." - well, yeah, but in an illegal sort of way. We shouldn't have to have an "approved" ailment in order to partake. Nor should we have to pay for a recommendation, that's commercialization right there

"what this law does is restrict your grow area to 10 by 10" - It lets counties regulate however they see fit (as it is now with 215) although it has guidelines. The restriction is 6 plants per residence.

"not allow smoking in public(should be allowed anywhere cigs are allowed)" - currently not allowed

"restrict what you can carry to one ounce" - better than nothing? enough to get one through the weekend, LOL

"and in two years time create a big sales machine." - Once they get it hammered out, the cottage growers can get the ball going without interference or competition from the big ag types for the first 5 years. Don't sleep on it:

"The Adult Use of Marijuana Act ensures the nonmedical marijuana industry in California
will be built around small and medium sized businesses by prohibiting large-scale cultivation
licenses for the first five years. The Adult Use of Marijuana Act also protects consumers and
small businesses by imposing strict anti-monopoly restrictions for businesses that participate in
the nonmedical marijuana industry."

Still it's not ideal, but a lot of the "bad" things people are chatting about are hype (as usual).
November 10, 2016 10:40PM
jahson
Can I now legally buy herb in Cali when I visit in the summer from Guam to attend SNWMF?

Can I now legally carry herb in Cali when I visit in the summer from Guam ?

Jah Son

Regarding buying, we probably won't have shops going that soon, but you can legally carry! I can legally share it as well (just can't charge for it without permits/licensing). Be happy to share some on your next visit! smiling smiley
November 10, 2016 10:47PM
tom, where we live it's yes to both (for when you come visit us in PDX again!).

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
November 10, 2016 10:56PM
Daniel

It is estimated that there is 50,000 cottage growers in CA. Why not try to preserve and protect that? 64 does not.

For those of us with no 'skin in the game' can someone please explain what, specifically, about the new law would force 'cottage growers' out of the market....?

Cost and other prohibitive licensing requirements.

I work in essentially greenhouse sales. I am working with a client in S.Cal and this particular county is only allowing 15 licenses (at least for now.). They ban 215 growing. I also assist with the proposals for submittal. It is going to cost the average client about $100,000-$250,000 in services and fees to get into a highly competitive ranking system that will give preference to highly organized businesses over a dirt on pants grass roots farmer. The level of submittal is above alot of farmers, it is more similar to municipal contract RFP's. And they are opening it up for one month.

There is a misconception that all these growers are just awash in cash. Most I know make a modest to good living and try their best to pay taxes. What is the impact to our economy in CA when consolidate profits in fewer companies and fewer hands?

Another issue is for smokers who cant afford to buy it, will have a hard time setting up a perpetual harvest of 6 plants that will yield them less than an ounce at any one time. It forces it back indoors to unsafe and energy insufficient cultivation models.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 11:06PM by papajoshua.
November 10, 2016 11:38PM
Maybe i run amok a bit at times, but why should i be limited to carrying an ounce at a time? No one just grows one ounce. So if you bring your harvest over to your buds house and it's more than an ounce you are breaking the law. when i go to a club now and find something i really like, i always buy an ounce. eighths are just annoying. This isn't freedom, it's regulation. Better, yes, good, no.

Love that reggae!
November 11, 2016 03:46AM
I think you can grow as much as your 6 plants can produce, you just can't leave the house with more than an ounce on you.

As an aside, didn't Schwarzenegger decriminalize it already to where one could carry up to an ounce and only be liable for a $100 ticket? I specifically remember him doing that but haven't heard much about it since...
November 11, 2016 10:52AM
nomotrouble
Maybe i run amok a bit at times, but why should i be limited to carrying an ounce at a time? No one just grows one ounce. So if you bring your harvest over to your buds house and it's more than an ounce you are breaking the law. when i go to a club now and find something i really like, i always buy an ounce. eighths are just annoying. This isn't freedom, it's regulation. Better, yes, good, no.

So what changes for you then -- you're breaking the law now.
November 11, 2016 12:32PM
'So what changes for you then -- you're breaking the law now.'

Nothing changes, thats my problem with it.

Love that reggae!
November 11, 2016 04:49PM

The ability to smoke legally in your home, the ability to carry up to an ounce legally and the ability to grow six plants (without the need to obtain any sort of 'license') legally sure seems like changes to me....

PapaJ: Are you saying the fees for a Type 1 License (Up to 5,000 square ft of canopy, or up to 50 noncontiguous plants) or a Type 12 License (Microbusiness) will run 100-250K?
November 11, 2016 05:45PM
Here is the way I see it. If you don't smoke or would never have more than an ounce on your person, this is a good thing. If you are in the business or roll with more than an ounce on the regular, this could be bad to varying degrees. The affects that this will have on the general user as far as quality and availability are all speculation at this point. I am hoping for a unique result as the reality is that the Northern California Marijuana Industry has always been unique and known to have a superior product worldwide.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
November 12, 2016 12:48AM
Daniel

The ability to smoke legally in your home, the ability to carry up to an ounce legally and the ability to grow six plants (without the need to obtain any sort of 'license') legally sure seems like changes to me....

PapaJ: Are you saying the fees for a Type 1 License (Up to 5,000 square ft of canopy, or up to 50 noncontiguous plants) or a Type 12 License (Microbusiness) will run 100-250K?

In this case they are not going hand out all the licensees in this county. They are going to limit it. That cost is what they are spending in services to develop the application + fees. The fees are not heavy but the requirements for the proposal are. Legal, geotech, utility feasibility, environmental, architect etc. Completely unprecedented in the ag world.
November 12, 2016 01:01AM
We had 600 commercial growers apply for licenses in Santa cruz county last week. Another 300 registered and did not actually submit the application. The potential for massive habitat damage, slope destabilization, water supply problems and traffic in the residential mountain neighborhoods is real. We need to regulate this. It is not lettuce in the flatlands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 01:29AM by Jahsprey.
November 12, 2016 02:35AM
Daniel, i guess that is a difference, i wouldn't have to get the license. I just wish it felt like freeing up the ganja.

When i was a yout growing up in Fairbanks, Alaska, one of our family friends was Jay Rabinowitz, who also happened to be chief justice of the Alaska supreme court, one of the most wise and just men you would ever meet. one year they ruled that you could not say that one of gods creations, the plant, was illegal, and thus legalized ganja completely, except for while driving of course. It took the forces of evil 10 years or so to reverse it. But i want the plant freed up like that.

Love that reggae!
November 12, 2016 06:46AM
Jahsprey
We had 600 commercial growers apply for licenses in Santa cruz county last week. Another 300 registered and did not actually submit the application. The potential for massive habitat damage, slope destabilization, water supply problems and traffic in the residential mountain neighborhoods is real. We need to regulate this. It is not lettuce in the flatlands.

I agree Jahsprey. I also applied for a cultivators license in SC, but not as a 'commercial' grower. I submitted the apps & paid the fee, before the deadline, and have already heard back from the County that I am on the list and they'll get to me in the next 2-3 weeks. They have even explained the next steps!

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2016 05:06AM by DJ Spleece.
November 12, 2016 03:09PM
It's going to be an interesting transition, for sure.

One thing is for sure.. In the new legal market there will be very strict tests for mold/mildew/pesticides. I hope this helps people to step up their game with the organic purity. Most of the competitions up here test all the entries. It's usually between 10 and 20 per cent that pass these tests. I know the percentage of people actually producing contaminant free medicine is even less if one were to somehow survey the whole area. I am really hoping that the good people who have mastered their craft over the years aren't completely stomped out by monsanto and phillip morris.

The limit to what folks can carry was set way too low for CA. Didn't Oregon set their limit to a half lb or something like that?

Either way, I say taxation and regulation is a lot different than "legalization". Especially when it's still illegal to possess more than an oz. I n I would love to see the day that she can be regarded as just another plant in the garden, and just another remedy in the medicine cabinet. I sincerely doubt that way will come.

I have still felt a little free up in my trod over the last few days.. Hopefully the free up is progressively more so as the years go by.
November 12, 2016 04:21PM
rootsthroughsidewalks
In the new legal market there will be very strict tests for mold/mildew/pesticides. I hope this helps people to step up their game with the organic purity.

Now THIS part of the new law I fully embrace! I have been testing products for several years now, and I'm proud to post my results publicly at SpankysFarm.com. SC Labs here in Santa Cruz is setting the standard for this, and my friends there have been taking in 250-300 samples PER DAY, for a long time already.

[www.RealitySounds.com]

November 12, 2016 07:35PM
If you compare cannabis to beer and wine instead of tobacco, as many do, it makes more sense. There is Budweiser and then there are craft brewers. That's a free market. And for those who want to use it recreationally, they may do so.
November 13, 2016 02:16AM
Hey DJ Spleece do you know any cannabis labs that are hiring? I worked in an environmental testing laboratory for over 10 years and want to get into the cannabis testing industry!
November 13, 2016 04:58AM
Reggabe
Hey DJ Spleece do you know any cannabis labs that are hiring? I worked in an environmental testing laboratory for over 10 years and want to get into the cannabis testing industry!

Maybe SC Labs? They are the best & SUPER COOL PEOPLE. They are also always busy with work and always expanding.

[www.RealitySounds.com]

November 14, 2016 09:39AM
A flawed legalization law is better than prohibition.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login