Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2016 Welcomes Lee 'Scratch' Perry

Posted by Daniel 
SNWMF 2016 Welcomes Lee 'Scratch' Perry
February 01, 2016 08:59PM
Re: SNWMF 2016 Welcomes Lee 'Scratch' Perry
February 01, 2016 10:07PM
He was outstanding when he played with Subatomic up here in PDX last September. I wonder who he has playing with him this time? He'll be 80 or close to it when he performs at SNWMF. Talk about a survivor!
February 01, 2016 10:10PM
Perfect time to check out new or different artists.
February 01, 2016 10:12PM
So far this is the biggest draw for me. I love many of the acts so far and have seen many of them including mr. Perry. LSP has never disappointed me in the past live and I look forward to seeing him outside in Mendocino valley. Thank you
February 01, 2016 10:12PM
Glad you enjoyed the PDX show Jah Mike and look for more of the same @snwmf this year as he WILL be backed by Subatomic Sound System....
February 01, 2016 10:57PM
Where's Higrade's diss? LOL - I'm stoked!
February 02, 2016 04:35AM
woulda loved him to be backed by Pura Vida... their sound rules over SAS... mho.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 02, 2016 04:54AM
Seeing Scratch on the lineup made my day! I still haven't seen him live. I've got so much love and respect for his work and his spirit... It will be a pleasure and an honor to witness in the mendo hills.
February 02, 2016 07:54AM
Thank you SNWMF you have made my day, Scratch that, YEAR! Last year Yellowman and now the Scratch, line up variety excellent compared to Cali Roots usual lineup.

Itals, Clinton Fearon, Bob Andy, Derrick Morgan also good in the past mix... not to mention Gregory Isaacs in 2009, a year before his passing.
Can't just get that @#$%& from too many other places now a days.
February 02, 2016 04:48PM
Did someone say they were waiting for a diss?
"Perfect time to check out new or different artists."
More like the perfect time to recycle the S.O.S.
Last time I saw Lee Perry he was in Madison ,Wi in the late 80's early 90's talking about eating his excrement.
I am only interested to see what he talks about now, or is he full blown 5150?
In that case I'll skip it.
"Yeah I prefer my performing artists to be over the hill, elderly and batshit crazy."
February 02, 2016 04:51PM
February 02, 2016 07:24PM
plenty of clips online of scratch with subatomic sound system, if you're really curious about what they might sound like together. check it, see for yourselves and make up your own minds.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 03, 2016 01:33AM
strikkly
Did someone say they were waiting for a diss?
"Perfect time to check out new or different artists."
More like the perfect time to recycle the S.O.S.
Last time I saw Lee Perry he was in Madison ,Wi in the late 80's early 90's talking about eating his excrement.
I am only interested to see what he talks about now, or is he full blown 5150?
In that case I'll skip it.
"Yeah I prefer my performing artists to be over the hill, elderly and batshit crazy."
Perfect time to check out other posters. I prefer them to be something other than obnoxious, ageist twits.
February 03, 2016 05:33PM
Yo "Jah Mike"...It is just certain things I man nah promote. Eating ones excrement or lyrics to such effect are among them. Not ageist. For example Toots is an elder who has it together. Certain things one chooses to forward and promote.
February 03, 2016 07:17PM
Gotta admit, there's a fine line between bat-@#$%& crazy and creative genius...
February 04, 2016 06:58AM
I saw him at the HOB Sunset Strip and left the show after 20 minutes. He was rambling on about "my toe, my nose, my nose looks at my toes." It was freaking horrible. His band was great but he sucked. I know he's old school but Bunny, Toots, Jimmy Cliff, and Burning Spear are not that drugged out and mental.

Redwood stage to the rescue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 06:59AM by westafari.
February 04, 2016 07:52PM
THANK YOU Westafari. On the face of it oh yeah more mass appeal for the name Lee Perry. Oh yeah his discography. On second thought, what a waste of SNWMF money and time slot. Poor choice. More consciousness.
February 04, 2016 09:46PM
Good call strikkly. It's going to be fun to talk to people after the performance, who have not seen him, and see what they thought of his stage act. Shaggy all over again???
February 05, 2016 02:07AM
i've seen him plenty. sometimes he's great, later shows sometimes boring and off-putting.

my curiosity is definitely piqued for this particular show, however, as the recent tour he did with subatomic sound system was a recreation of the "super ape" album...and all accounts i've heard of the recent PDX show were excellent! i've only checked for a couple of their set clips online of the recent tour, but they were impressive, with live backing vocals, horns, etc and mr. emch dubbing it all out live and direct.

if they revive the LP with subatomic again, i will be there. if he starts his sh*t, piss and cocky talky--most likely i'll be walking. but i'm not discounting scratch just yet!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 05, 2016 02:33AM
I saw Yellowman in the mid 80's in Ja and it was horrible. He said things I know he wouldn't say outside of Ja. So I never went to see him again until last summer at SNWMF and he killed it. One of my favorites acts last year. So I'm hoping for the same experience with Lee. Because the last time I saw him a number of years ago he started mumbling to a young girl and then said "hey girl, lift up your frock and show me what you got!"........... I left
February 05, 2016 05:55AM
Good or bad, he's definitely intriguing! (as evidenced by his last performance at SNWMF back at Angel's Camp. See a prior thread regarding that one...)
February 05, 2016 09:19AM
I saw that PDX show that mk referred to. It was pretty amazing. Scratch has a very weird sense of humor that is hard for a lot of people to take. But he still is one of those Reggae artists who can always draw a crowd. I may not do SNWMF this year due to things I got going on right now, but if I do, I will definitely be catching Lee's set.
February 06, 2016 04:20PM
Yo the man is a pederast an a man who fashions himself Jah Mike says its all good. Lord Have Mercy!!! These Are Gideon Times!!!!!!!
Yeah he said things in JA that no one in the SNWMF crowd could even stomach let alone tolerate. Epic fail.
February 07, 2016 03:51AM
remembering that show with Mikey Dread and Soul Syndicate and Adrian Sherwood and Mad Professor and Scientist at EMP in Seattle, he was sayin some bats#tcrazy stuff but what a show! i like what Reggabe said about dat thin line...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 07, 2016 04:12AM
strikkly
Yo the man is a pederast an a man who fashions himself Jah Mike says its all good. Lord Have Mercy!!! These Are Gideon Times!!!!!!!
Yeah he said things in JA that no one in the SNWMF crowd could even stomach let alone tolerate. Epic fail.
That's a pretty serious accusation, I sure hope you have some evidence to back it up.
February 21, 2016 01:29AM
westafari
Good call strikkly. It's going to be fun to talk to people after the performance, who have not seen him, and see what they thought of his stage act. Shaggy all over again???

ahhhh, Shaggy.

imho he put on a very entertaining show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login