Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is Cali reggae?

Posted by fourtwentyplenty 
What is Cali reggae?
May 12, 2015 11:02PM
I can see the zoki posts coming already, but seriously what defines "Cali reggae" to you? I know the Long Beach sound descending from Sublime is one splinter of reggae's influence. Does that define all "Cali reggae?" If not then what does? Is J Boog Cali reggae even though he's Polynesian, but lives in Cali? Is it white guys singing reggae? Is it trustafarian reggae? Please discuss.
Re: What is Cali reggae?
May 12, 2015 11:43PM
I'm pretty sure it's exactly as it sounds. Reggae bands that originated in Calirornia or Hawaii. Not TRUE Rastafarians.

-SOJA
-Rebelution
-Tribal Seeds
-Reggae Angels
-J Boog
-Sublime with Rome
-Slightly Stupid
-Dirty Heads

The list goes on.
May 12, 2015 11:58PM
Your narrow judgments aside, westafari, some maybe rastafarians. Some may even be devout enough to earn the title of "TRUE rastafarians", whatever that is. Since you don't really know, you should really try refraining from speaking on the matter. Oops, too late, you already played yourself.

SOJA comes from the east coast, I think (DC Area?).

I don't think there is a musical genre called "cali-reggae" - it's just a term coined by some narrow-minded people to denigrate the works of people who gather to play reggae music who happen to 1) live in California and 2) are the wrong skin color.
May 13, 2015 12:14AM
It is the original reggae style music that grew out of post 911 USA, where work Visa approvals were halted for JA bands. These bands have filled the gap created by the shift in US policy. They show up on time, they play their hearts out on real instruments, they sell CD's and merch and leave the crowd anticipating the next time they pass through town.

It seems most of their audience thinks they originated the sound and style and would rather hear this concoction than listen to a Jamaican reggae band. Most of their audience often doesn't know that reggae is Jamaican music, rather reggae is what they hear and listen to all the time. There is enough of it to feed their apatite and growing stronger every day. It is a younger generation that doesn't know the foundation, that associates "Reggae Music" with these bands that tour all the time. And in some ways, it is original music because I hear the reggae beat, but I don't hear the reggae music. I often just don't like it, and I like reggae of most styles.

But it is reggae music, without a doubt. And there is more cross pollination occurring and they are getting better at their craft. But I think the biggest testament to their success is this... they know their audience.

Looking forward to Stick Figure, chatted with him before and seems like a great guy!
May 13, 2015 03:13AM
bun n cheese
It is the original reggae style music that grew out of post 911 USA, where work Visa approvals were halted for JA bands. These bands have filled the gap created by the shift in US policy. They show up on time, they play their hearts out on real instruments, they sell CD's and merch and leave the crowd anticipating the next time they pass through town.

It seems most of their audience thinks they originated the sound and style and would rather hear this concoction than listen to a Jamaican reggae band. Most of their audience often doesn't know that reggae is Jamaican music, rather reggae is what they hear and listen to all the time. There is enough of it to feed their apatite and growing stronger every day. It is a younger generation that doesn't know the foundation, that associates "Reggae Music" with these bands that tour all the time. And in some ways, it is original music because I hear the reggae beat, but I don't hear the reggae music. I often just don't like it, and I like reggae of most styles.

But it is reggae music, without a doubt. And there is more cross pollination occurring and they are getting better at their craft. But I think the biggest testament to their success is this... they know their audience.

Looking forward to Stick Figure, chatted with him before and seems like a great guy!

VERY well dun Bun
May 13, 2015 03:24AM
If I may over simplify. If all their songs have guitar solos, they are Cali reggae.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 13, 2015 06:30AM
spliffp
bun n cheese

VERY well dun Bun

Agreed
May 13, 2015 08:29AM
May 13, 2015 04:05PM
To add, pre-911 there was a movement that enveloped US reggae bands called USABB. These bands very much followed in the footsteps of traditional JA reggae bands. Ark Band, John Browns Body, Watusi, Big Mountain, Toyes, etc... The original USABB site [reggaemusic.us] **edited URL, Thanks Daniel**

Much different than the new generation often called Cali Roots. There are a lot of bands that fall into this category that didn't originate in Cali so I don't think that is an appropriate label.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2015 04:45PM by bun n cheese.
May 13, 2015 04:15PM
The USABB site is alive and well.

I would note that, while it is true that many bands that fall into this 'category' are not from California, it is also true that many of these bands existed long before 9/11 (Slightly Stoopid, Pepper, Soja). That being said, I DO believe that, the difficulties associated with getting visas since 2001 helped to propel these's bands popularity. And, their singing lyrics that people can actually understand doesn't hurt either.....
May 13, 2015 05:37PM
in my humble opinion these types of reggae bands bring new fans into reggae music. Before I found the roots artists it was bands like Sublime, Pepper, SOJA to name a few that got me into the music. I then branched off and found that I enjoyed the roots artists a whole lot more. So even though I am not a fan of this music per say anymore I am grateful for them because it was part of my journey that led me to the artists I love today.
May 13, 2015 07:33PM
We have a lot of Dub bands in the Bay Area that incorporate the Cali reggae sound. Heavy bass, strong horns, usually some mix. I like it and its good to support our local music scene.
May 14, 2015 01:10AM
Hey Walter, you know exactly where you can go... This a opinion forum and that's my opinion. Keep you ignorant remarks to your self.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 01:12AM by westafari.
May 14, 2015 12:17PM
Westafari, are the majority of Jamaican entainers who arent Rastafarians also therefore not real reggae?
May 14, 2015 04:28PM
to much hate going on, we all love the same genre of music. We all love SNWMF, we all love good good ganga. Lets focus on the positive, we are all individuals who have different tastes and opinions, lets have that unite us not bicker on a phorum. I need the positivity in my life as I am sure most of you all do as well. Kill em with kindness! Respect to all
May 14, 2015 04:54PM
A "true Rastafarian" believes in the divinity, or specialness, of Haile Selassie, is at least somewhat aware of Rasta/African/Ethiopian history, and adheres to at least some of the moral code of the movement. Based on my own personal definition, I would say there are many "true Rastafarians" in California, the US, and globally.
May 14, 2015 05:04PM
Daniel
And, their singing lyrics that people can actually understand doesn't hurt either.....

Would you also say that the content of the music is a little more palatable to California audiences than much of the hardcore stuff coming out of JA?
May 14, 2015 05:13PM
Here's some Cali reggae: Stamina Allstars Hustler's Dub

May 14, 2015 05:21PM
I think the title is far too broad... There's a lot of people in Cali doing different types of reggae (or music influenced by reggae).

for example, I don't think one can compare Stamina Allstars to Sublime, Groundation to Slightly Stoopid, Reggae Angels to Rebelution, etc... in fact, the only thing all the above mentioned acts have in common is being based in California.
May 14, 2015 05:42PM
^ which is why I brought up the USABB thing that is in contrast to the Cali Roots thing.
May 14, 2015 05:47PM

Would you also say that the content of the music is a little more palatable to California audiences than much of the hardcore stuff coming out of JA?

Yes, I would say it "typically" has more emphasis on softer messages in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience. I say "typically" because, as the good doctor (Suess) mentioned, they run a wide spectrum. "Pop reggae" is not uncommon among these artists as is often the case with Brutish reggae as well.

To me, the only common denominator is that their music is REGGAE MUSIC. And just like Jamaican reggae music, St. Croix reggae music and African reggae music, there is some that I like and some that I do not....
May 14, 2015 10:24PM
dubgroove
Here's some Cali reggae: Stamina Allstars Hustler's Dub

I see it that artists like Stamina and Rusty Zinn is Reggae Music and has nothing to do with Cali Reggae. Confusing to some but that's my perspective.
It's heart and soul in the music and many types of people across the world can bring that but branches on the reggae tree still, the original roots still exist.
May 15, 2015 03:28AM
I find it bitterly ironic How as reggae fans we stil try to separate, divide and tear down each other over a style of music that for the most part is against that and we love. If the love is there then it shouldn't matter on the style or articulation. Most of my favorite artist give heartfelt performances and I have little idea of what they are saying but I feel the message. It doesn't matter to me regardless as to where the music comes from because music is universal
May 15, 2015 10:40AM
The reality is, Slightly Stoopid is excellent....one only needs to hear their work with Don Carlos, cover of Donovan, or even a D Brown tune. Real instruments, brass, and no fake JA patios
May 15, 2015 12:15PM
Cali reggae is music that makes me wanna go surf (too bad Serbia got no sea)
May 15, 2015 09:45PM
DJ Treez
If I may over simplify. If all their songs have guitar solos, they are Cali reggae.

I think that's the best description so far, since for the most part it's all subjective anyway. The guitar driven side of things is something I think we can all agree upon. winking smiley
May 17, 2015 02:20AM
Jahsiah
I find it bitterly ironic How as reggae fans we stil try to separate, divide and tear down each other over a style of music that for the most part is against that and we love. If the love is there then it shouldn't matter on the style or articulation. Most of my favorite artist give heartfelt performances and I have little idea of what they are saying but I feel the message. It doesn't matter to me regardless as to where the music comes from because music is universal

Cosign on the sentiment
May 17, 2015 03:44PM
I completely dis agree. There is music filled with loving vibes that is terrible (off key, wierd singing, basic bumbled instrumentation) .
Style , articulation and the lyrics are important in music. Having little idea what your favorite artists are saying ?? Not sure what to say about this.... What about the message in the music? The lyrics can sound sweet but be burning fire on your head top while spinning circles.
Music is universal and a birthright , sure anyone on earth can play any style music. The Twinkle Brothers playing Polka in Poland is not my favorite album nor is Snoop Dogg recording reggae in JA. It doesn't matter to me where the music comes from either , the lyrical and musical content do. I love some reggae music from all corners of California and the earth .
May 18, 2015 05:34AM
I consider myself very lucky and blessed to have come up into reggae at a time when roots music from Jamaica was defining (and refining) itself, and doubly blessed to have had the opportunity to learn the techniques, history and culture of the music from Jamaican and West Indies musicians (just about the only ones who were playing reggae at the time). The young musicians coming up now don't usually have these advantages. With precious few exceptions, I don't see the most popular US reggae bands educating their fans about the roots and sources of their music. I'm sorry but I have to hang this on Sublime, who used to take bass riddims from Jamaican reggae tunes, sometimes (or not) put their own lyrics on them, and present them to their fans, very rarely letting their fans know about the sources of their inspiration. I'd hoped that the popularity of Sublime would lead to a discovery of their roots in Jamaican reggae by a lot of their fans. Instead, it just seemed to lead to a proliferation of more of the same kind of bands, most of which had an even shallower penetration into roots reggae than Sublime, favoring more "American" influences like punk and hip hop, without taking the time or energy to really understand what reggae was about.
I had a 15-year-old Sublime fan bass student who wanted to learn more reggae (actually, he wanted to learn more Sublime, but that's another topic). I'd previously tried to interest a similarly minded student in classic Studio One and Treasure Isle basslines, but just received stifled yawns. So I made a mix cd with about a dozen Sublime reggae-based songs, each song followed immediately by the Jamaican track Sublime had lifted the bassline from. Well, the kid was amazed...he thought Sublime had written all those bass riddims! That alone got him into roots reggae a lot deeper. His parents moved to the E Coast with him not long thereafter, but he emails me from time to time, and is now the bassist in a young NJ rocksteady band. I consider him a success story...but he's only one of thousands of others who haven't learned their reggae roots. As much as I hate to say it, there are apparently teens who are growing up thinking Sublime invented reggae. All I'm saying is education is key. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Slightly Stoopid, but I have to give them props for bringing foundation reggae artists like Don Carlos and Half Pint up on stage with them, not just to give themselves some cred, but also to show their fans what inspired them to play reggae.
May 18, 2015 12:58PM
Heres the Track listing

Tracklist:
01) New Rewind Selector Intro
02) Decendents -> Sublime (Hope)
03) Grateful Dead -> Sublime (Scarlet Begonias)
04) Sublime -> Toots and the Maytals (5446)
05) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Do it Twice/Boss DJ)
06) Bad Brains -> Sublime (House of Suffering)
07) Peter Tosh -> Sublime (Legalize it)
08) The Melodians -> Sublime (Rivers of Babylon)
09) Bob Marley -> Sublime (One Cup) -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Judge Not)
10) Bad Religion -> Sublime (We're only Gonna Die From Our Arrogance)
11) Half Pint -> Sublime (What I Got)
12) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Trenchtown Rock)
13) The Vandals -> Sublime (Ball and Chain)
14) The Toyes -> Sublime (Smoke Two Joints)
15) Barrington Levy -> Sublime (She's Mine/Saw Red)
16) Sublime -> Peter Tosh (Steppin' Razor)
17) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Jailhouse)
18) Sublime -> Pinchers (Bandelero)
19) Minor Threat -> Sublime (Minor Threat)
*20) Sublime -> Bob Marley ->Sublime -> Bob Marley (Guava Jelly, This Train, Cornerstone Medley)
21) The Minutemen -> Sublime (History Lesson Part II/Waiting for My Ruca)
22) The Ziggens -> Sublime (Big Salty Tears)
23) Fishbone -> Sublime (Party at Ground Zero)
24) Sublime -> Frankie Laine (Rawhide TV Theme)
25) Original Cartoon Theme -> Sublime (Hong Kong Phooey TV Theme)
26) Sublime -> Bob Marley (Zimbabwe)
27) Falling Idols -> Sublime (Falling Idols)
28) Don Carlos -> Sublime (Pass me the Lazerbeam)
29) Sublime -> Dee Dee Warwick (Foolish/Crazy Fool)
30) Sublime -> Bad Brains (The Youth Are Getting Restless)
31) Sublime -> Tenor Saw and Buju Banton (Ring the Alarm)
32) Sublime -> The Specials (DJs -> Message to Rudy)
33) Sublime -> Horace Andy (Dub Medley 2 -> Elementary)
34) Sublime -> Frankie Paul (Get ready -> Are You Ready?)
35) Bob Marley -> Sublime -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Hammer)
*36) Sublime -> Camper Van Beethoven (Lassie/Lou-Dog Went to the Moon)
*37) Sublime -> The Descendants (My Age)
*38) Sublime -> Half Pint -> Sublime -> Half Pint (Cost of Living -> Level the Vibes)
*39) Sublime -> George Clinton and the Parliament (New Song/Atomic Dog)
*40) Sublime -> The Temptations and the Supremes (STP -> I Second That Emotion)
*41) Sublime -> The Champs (What Happened?/Tequila!)
*42) Sublime -> Eric Monty Morris (Little District)
*43) Sublime -> Mudhoney (Farther I Go)
*44) Sublime -> Winston Reedy (Romantic Girl)
*45) Sublime -> The Doors (Cisco Kid/When the Music's Over) This horn dubbed over in this song is from Guru's (Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal=G.U.R.U.) Jazzamatazz called "Introduction"...a little extra info for you. ~Lou
*46) Courtney Melody -> Sublime (A Ninja Me Ninja)
*47) Sublime -> UB40 (Johnny Too Bad)
*48) Camper Van Beethoven -> Sublime (Eye of Fatima)
*49) Sublime -> Born Jamericans (Warning Sign)
*50) The Descendants -> Sublime (Loser)
*51) Richard Pryor -> Sublime (Have Your Ass Home by 11:00 -> What I Got)
*52) Sublime -> Red Hot Chili Peppers (All You Need/Fight Like A Brave)
*53) Half Pint -> Sublime (Winner Takes It All)
*54) Sublime -> Pato Banton (King Step)
*55) Sublime -> Bad Brains (I Love My Dog/I Luv I Jah)
Last Track) Brad and Miguel Acappella Outro

feet_, Feb 6, 2007
May 18, 2015 09:32PM
Btw in my opinion Hawaiian/Polynesian/Micronesian reggae is better then California reggae.
May 19, 2015 03:07AM
Ras_Adam
Heres the Track listing

Tracklist:
01) New Rewind Selector Intro
02) Decendents -> Sublime (Hope)
03) Grateful Dead -> Sublime (Scarlet Begonias)
04) Sublime -> Toots and the Maytals (5446)
05) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Do it Twice/Boss DJ)
06) Bad Brains -> Sublime (House of Suffering)
07) Peter Tosh -> Sublime (Legalize it)
08) The Melodians -> Sublime (Rivers of Babylon)
09) Bob Marley -> Sublime (One Cup) -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Judge Not)
10) Bad Religion -> Sublime (We're only Gonna Die From Our Arrogance)
11) Half Pint -> Sublime (What I Got)
12) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Trenchtown Rock)
13) The Vandals -> Sublime (Ball and Chain)
14) The Toyes -> Sublime (Smoke Two Joints)
15) Barrington Levy -> Sublime (She's Mine/Saw Red)
16) Sublime -> Peter Tosh (Steppin' Razor)
17) Bob Marley -> Sublime (Jailhouse)
18) Sublime -> Pinchers (Bandelero)
19) Minor Threat -> Sublime (Minor Threat)
*20) Sublime -> Bob Marley ->Sublime -> Bob Marley (Guava Jelly, This Train, Cornerstone Medley)
21) The Minutemen -> Sublime (History Lesson Part II/Waiting for My Ruca)
22) The Ziggens -> Sublime (Big Salty Tears)
23) Fishbone -> Sublime (Party at Ground Zero)
24) Sublime -> Frankie Laine (Rawhide TV Theme)
25) Original Cartoon Theme -> Sublime (Hong Kong Phooey TV Theme)
26) Sublime -> Bob Marley (Zimbabwe)
27) Falling Idols -> Sublime (Falling Idols)
28) Don Carlos -> Sublime (Pass me the Lazerbeam)
29) Sublime -> Dee Dee Warwick (Foolish/Crazy Fool)
30) Sublime -> Bad Brains (The Youth Are Getting Restless)
31) Sublime -> Tenor Saw and Buju Banton (Ring the Alarm)
32) Sublime -> The Specials (DJs -> Message to Rudy)
33) Sublime -> Horace Andy (Dub Medley 2 -> Elementary)
34) Sublime -> Frankie Paul (Get ready -> Are You Ready?)
35) Bob Marley -> Sublime -> Bob Marley -> Sublime (Hammer)
*36) Sublime -> Camper Van Beethoven (Lassie/Lou-Dog Went to the Moon)
*37) Sublime -> The Descendants (My Age)
*38) Sublime -> Half Pint -> Sublime -> Half Pint (Cost of Living -> Level the Vibes)
*39) Sublime -> George Clinton and the Parliament (New Song/Atomic Dog)
*40) Sublime -> The Temptations and the Supremes (STP -> I Second That Emotion)
*41) Sublime -> The Champs (What Happened?/Tequila!)
*42) Sublime -> Eric Monty Morris (Little District)
*43) Sublime -> Mudhoney (Farther I Go)
*44) Sublime -> Winston Reedy (Romantic Girl)
*45) Sublime -> The Doors (Cisco Kid/When the Music's Over) This horn dubbed over in this song is from Guru's (Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal=G.U.R.U.) Jazzamatazz called "Introduction"...a little extra info for you. ~Lou
*46) Courtney Melody -> Sublime (A Ninja Me Ninja)
*47) Sublime -> UB40 (Johnny Too Bad)
*48) Camper Van Beethoven -> Sublime (Eye of Fatima)
*49) Sublime -> Born Jamericans (Warning Sign)
*50) The Descendants -> Sublime (Loser)
*51) Richard Pryor -> Sublime (Have Your Ass Home by 11:00 -> What I Got)
*52) Sublime -> Red Hot Chili Peppers (All You Need/Fight Like A Brave)
*53) Half Pint -> Sublime (Winner Takes It All)
*54) Sublime -> Pato Banton (King Step)
*55) Sublime -> Bad Brains (I Love My Dog/I Luv I Jah)
Last Track) Brad and Miguel Acappella Outro

feet_, Feb 6, 2007

Yes, Adam, I saw that list only relatively recently. I wished I had this to refer to, I had to gird up my loins and listen to a bunch of Sublime in order to compile the mix cd for my student.
May 20, 2015 09:30AM
Interesting topic on the the Cali reggae scence with great insight from all previous posters, but rasta and reggae differ but I have respect for both. Rasta is about a holistic lifestyle not just music. Many can point to those who express themselves artistically as reggae in Cali that don't necessarily tout rasta but through there musical influence give props to a subculture that has changed the world's musical landscape forever..nuff respect. Also those who have been touched in the heart and spread the ideology in lyric yet not in music style..and nuff respect as well. Cali is a great melting pot of both and I love reggae and Ras alike. Forward dem.
May 20, 2015 09:36AM
I guess my point being reggae doesn't have to be rasta and rasta doesn't have to be reggae, and both are alive and well in Cali. 420 quit causin a stir.. you know what's up! HaHa see you at Sierra. I finally met u for the first time back at Angel Camp then last when Mt. Nebo recorded that live talking roots album in SF..what an epic show. Hope to see ya this year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 09:50AM by ForwardZion.
May 20, 2015 04:45PM
Maybe a little off topic, but I always wondered....where does John Brown's Body fit in? Saw them at Sierra back in Marysville and they had a good groove. Reggae influenced but not genre.
May 20, 2015 06:54PM
Stamina - Very nice comments, and I agree mostly, but it's not just Sublime lifting old reggae basslines. The Clash and The Police, to name 2 popular examples, were very reggae-influenced and used standard reggae basslines in their songs. But the may have given more props to the foundation artists, and The Clash had Mikey Dread as a member of their band for a while, so I'm not sure they are in the same boat as Sublime, Rebelution, etc.
May 20, 2015 10:21PM
To be absolutely clear about reggae and Rasta, reggae music was very well established by the time Rastafarian influence began to work its way into the music in the early to mid-70s; nowhere near all reggae artists or musicians are Rasta, and nowhere near all Rastas play or even listen to reggae. It's far too secular for the Bobos, and, as one dreadlocked italist in the late Count Ossie's Rasta compound at the foot of Wareika Hill asked me long ago, "a wha' kin' o' Rasta fly inna jet aeroplane fe go play electric music in a bar?"
Reggabe - the Clash's reggae was pretty much their straight interpretation of the current reggae hits like "Police & Thieves" and "Pressure Drop". I preferred the original versions, so I didn't pay their reggae much attention. Sublime, however, often used some obscure tracks' basslines, and put their own lyrics to them (often more paeans to the youthful CA pastimes of drinking, smoking schwag and getting faded than anything too conscious). Nothing unusual about copping a tune's bassline...hell, if I had a buck for every Jamaican reggae tune that used an existing bassline, I could probably buy out Chris Blackwell and Rita Marley both...but only very rarely (such as in "Thanx" where they acknowledge the Melodians and Bob, amongst about a thousand of their pals and even their dog) have they credited their sources. Perhaps they wanted to take credit for it themselves, I don't know, but imho they were responsible for both the Cali reggae phenomenon and also the sometimes jaw-dropping ignorance about roots reggae amongst young self-proclaimed reggae fans.
May 22, 2015 08:07AM
Some examples to consider in the chicken and egg of Rasta and "Reggae".

Maytals - Bam Bam (1966) featured rasta drumming.
Same with Oh Carolina and all the other Count Ossie recordings from the (early) 60's
Then there's Bunny & Skitter - Lumumba on Studio 1

Even back in Ska times there were Rasta tunes.
Lord Briscoe - Praise For I Sample
Prince Buster All Stars (Skatalites) - Lion of Judah

All recorded by Rasta musicians well before the birth of "Reggae" music in 70-71

grinning smiley
May 22, 2015 05:27PM
I feel like Tribal Seeds is Rasta influenced, of all the Cali bands they are my favorite and record with Don Carlos, Vaugh Benjamin to name a few and seem to sing more than just ganga tunes and poppy cali songs.
May 22, 2015 08:42PM
HI-FI, those are great tracks, and I know of several others from that era that might be considered to have Rasta drumming or even lyrical influence, but that's out of thousands of recordings in the '60s that had none. That's why I say that the Rasta influenced roots & culture reggae didn't really become a sizable part of the reggae catalog until the early to mid-70s.

Rossta, when Tribal Seeds came around they were pretty young, and to my ears they seemed to be slavishly trying to copy the Bob & the Wailers sound, to the point of "woyoyoyoy's" in their live shows. They did their homework, but it consisted mostly of trying to emulate the Wailers' sound and vibe. I mean, you could do a lot worse than choosing an inspiration like that, but it was pretty boring to me (of course, I'm hard to please; even the Familyman-led Wailers just sound to me like a very good Bob Marley cover band). I haven't heard TS for awhile, so hopefully they've been finding their own sound, especially with EN Young coming into the band. I hope I'm not goring anyone's sacred cows with my critiques, which are only meant to improve the quality of reggae music and not to insult or denigrate any musicians' sincere efforts.
May 25, 2015 09:10PM
....interesting.....I can't understand what they are saying in Cali reggae most of the time....me being a cali boy loving JA Reggae, i understand a lot it's lyrics so much more.
May 27, 2015 02:59PM
Hey Stamina, who is EN Young? I have seen Tribal seeds twice now and the band was different each time. One time Gonzo was there and another time he was not. The last time they had a new keyboard player who also played the melodica and brought some amazing vibes, was wondering if he was EN Young? He really helped the band bring some good energy. I preferred to not have Gonzo on stage though, felt he brings the whole band down. I found it interesting about you comparing them to the Wailers, I guess everyone starts somewhere and maybe that is why I enjoyed them live because it was a familiar sound. I also have enjoyed them live more than Iration, Rebelution and I find SOJA painful to watch and listen too. It also helped that when I fist saw Tribal Seeds live they covered a Midnite tune and I can tell that they enjoy Midnites music.
May 27, 2015 05:46PM
Rossta do you know which Midnite song TS covered?

we can call it fluffy happy cali reggae all day but one thing Tribal Seeds & Rebelution do right is their studio mastering! Wow the levels on those songs are cutting edge 2015 which is what lots of well established third world reggae bands cant get right....this doesnt redeem them for their corney surfer lyrics though no matter how good those keyboards sound!
May 27, 2015 05:58PM
Not sure about any 'covers' but here is a Tribal Seeds/Vaughn Benjamin collaboration...

May 27, 2015 09:47PM
AztecRasta
we can call it fluffy happy cali reggae all day but one thing Tribal Seeds & Rebelution do right is their studio mastering! Wow the levels on those songs are cutting edge 2015 which is what lots of well established third world reggae bands cant get right

I agree with this, even if you remove the "third world" from your statement. Was just listening to the latest from Capital Letters, and was disappointed by the mix. Seems a lot of recent UK mixes have the instruments sounding tight, if a little too sterile for me - but the vocals are way too wet, and lost in the mix on every song (no matter who's singing). It sounds like the singers are down the hall from the band, not even in the same room. Reggae should be intimate, and the singer should be up front, not secondary to the players (unless it's a dub).
May 28, 2015 05:30AM
Good point regarding mixing and mastering. Morgan Heritage was on Irish and Chin recently doing an interview and mentioned that very thing as being one of the issues with artists coming out of Jamaica today. Modern reggae bands and fans are not constrained by the mentality in Jamaica. These bands are on top of their productions and that makes a big difference.

May 28, 2015 03:31PM
Aztec Rasta, when Tribal seeds came to Bend, OR for the first time a few summers ago they played Love the life you live by Midnite. Blew me away, they obviously did not compare to Midnite playing that tune but I really enjoyed seeing a band cover Midnite and was hoping this last summer they would cover another Midnite tune when they played in Bend but it was 90% of there new album that they played. They did open with the tune that Daniel shared and I kept waiting for Vaughn to walk out to sing his part but sadly that did not happen. LOL

I really enjoy Tribal seeds live.
May 28, 2015 03:45PM
"Modern reggae bands and fans are not constrained by the mentality in Jamaica. " - real talk here

That interview is real the visa/immigration policies are ridiculous and hurt beyond just music.

At 29 minutes they discuss west coast reggae festivals (cultural colonialism regarding a music that started as a voice for the voiceless in my opinion) Its a business but the rebel soul of reggae still drives the culture that like minded fans have invested their support in, for example I would not pay a penny to see Slightly Stupid but I would not think twice to drop what ever it took to see Midnite.

"most producers (out of jamaica) dont know what mastering is" lol

That light it up song is fire! cant wait to see MH live
May 28, 2015 03:45PM
Dub Guy, speaking of UK reggae what do you think of Prince Fatty and Hollie Cook? I love them and their sound
May 28, 2015 05:20PM
Love the life you live nice! I will have to look for that live video.

I laughed when Vaughn only had like 8 bars on that Representin song but also extremely appreciative he showed love to TS they are doing alot of things right, my favorite tune on that album is with Don Carlos "Illuminati is a Blood Clot!" lol
May 28, 2015 05:29PM
My favorite tune off the new TS album is also the Illuminati is a blood clot. The beat is wicked and Don Carlos will always be my fav other than Midnite! Love the Don each and every time!
May 28, 2015 08:09PM
@Rossta: if the keyboard player had some tall dreads, yeah that was probably EN. He's a very good musician/producer (he produced the album for Animo, the band I jam with weekly in Santa Cruz and the only SC band playing Cali Roots this year) and is touring on his own as well. He did his own set at Cali Roots earlier on Sunday before Tribal Seeds played. It just felt that even after they started blowing up TS adhered to the Marley formulaic sound. As I said before, you could emulate a lot worse, but there's so much more to reggae music and hopefully they've been branching out and finding their own sound.
As far as mastering, etc., you could have a round full crisp overall mix, but the performance has to be there. Those crackly low-fi Studio One and Treasure Isle vinyl discs keep me dancin', due to the musicianship and how the musicians interact tribally (no pun intended) cutting rhythmically in & out of one another's part to create a whole that's much greater than the sum of the parts.
May 29, 2015 02:11AM
JBB has a good understanding of how to get a full studio sound.
May 29, 2015 02:16PM
This here is the best kind of Cali reggae...Herb Daly and the Santa Cruz Reggae All Stars at the Crow's Nest first summer Beach Party yesterday evening. Dinner, dank, drinks and reggae as the sun goes down. What a great thing to ride by on the way home from work. Irie.
May 29, 2015 03:34PM
Crows Nest. One of the best venues around. And totally under the radar.
May 29, 2015 07:24PM
Thanks for coming out...and for taking the perfect photo Gary! The word 'irie' embodied the vibe yesterday evening. The band consisted of the musicians from the regular Tuesday night Crow's Nest reggae jam (who are members of various local bands), plus Bruno from Coastal Sage on guitar to spell our flu-bound regular gitsy, Jerry. My wife was there and didn't even mind (well, not too much!) when the young hottie in the slinky dress in the foreground danced up on stage and started rubbing up on this old man (disclaimer: I wasn't the only one up there she chose to do this to. Plus, I'm sure either Jose, Jack or the Captain was also involved). My son Aaron was also in the house and got onstage to help belt out a Bob tune:

And Adrian from Soulwise spelled me on bass for a tune or two, which allowed me to do one of the other things I enjoy most in life besides rubbing a heavy reggae bassline, dancing with my wife...so it was an awesome gig for me.

btw I'd like to suggest to reggae fans and musicians in the SC area to come upstairs at the Crow's Nest to the Santa Cruz Reggae Jams Tuesday nights from 8-11 (occasionally they'll schedule a different event there, so call before you haul). Talented house band, special guest singers and players each night, NO cover, and a mellow and welcoming ambiance. It's been going on there since last summer, and getting stronger both attendance- and music-wise:

Jahsprey
This here is the best kind of Cali reggae...Herb Daly and the Santa Cruz Reggae All Stars at the Crow's Nest first summer Beach Party yesterday evening. Dinner, dank, drinks and reggae as the sun goes down. What a great thing to ride by on the way home from work. Irie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 07:35PM by Stamina!.
May 30, 2015 10:46PM
Stamina!
My wife was there and didn't even mind (well, not too much!) when the young hottie in the slinky dress in the foreground danced up on stage and started rubbing up on this old man

Yes def a sweet pic.

I have a great pic (taken by my wife) of a young lkkle hottie rubbin up on me on stage. It was my birthday and she asked me how old I was and then did not believe me when I told her. Eventually, we had to remove her from the stage, but it was def entertaining while it lasted.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 31, 2015 12:29AM
DJ Treez
Stamina!
My wife was there and didn't even mind (well, not too much!) when the young hottie in the slinky dress in the foreground danced up on stage and started rubbing up on this old man

Yes def a sweet pic.

I have a great pic (taken by my wife) of a young lkkle hottie rubbin up on me on stage. It was my birthday and she asked me how old I was and then did not believe me when I told her. Eventually, we had to remove her from the stage, but it was def entertaining while it lasted.

The bouncer asked Mo the vocalist (who she was also trying to get a rubadub from) if he wanted to get her offstage, and he said no. I understand why: it's great advertising..."see what our music makes the young cuties do? You should hire us for YOUR venue!"
June 01, 2015 03:24AM
Rubbing up is all good as long as every one is having fun. When she got in Jah Sun's face mid song and started asking for rap tunes was when someone came up and did the honors. It was all good though, rough life of a DJ hehe, the struggle is real I tell ya.

June 01, 2015 04:45AM
LOL yeah, when she was rubadubbing me she was damping out my bass strings, so I had to move away to keep playing. She looked at me kinda quizzically, then moved on to the lead singer. See how livicated I am to the music? winking smiley
June 03, 2015 11:22PM
Interesting article on the topic from Anthony Postman.

http://reggaefestivalguide.com/emag/2015/#p=36

June 04, 2015 07:38PM
Rossta
Dub Guy, speaking of UK reggae what do you think of Prince Fatty and Hollie Cook? I love them and their sound

Enjoyed them at the festival immensely, and even got to chat with Hollie for a minute, but don't own any recordings so can't really comment on the quality of their mixes! This has me thinking I need to get some for my summer mix though. smiling smiley
June 04, 2015 08:07PM
Dubguy
Rossta

Enjoyed them at the festival immensely, and even got to chat with Hollie for a minute, but don't own any recordings so can't really comment on the quality of their mixes! This has me thinking I need to get some for my summer mix though. smiling smiley

You really should get some of their albums! you will love them! I got to chat with Hollie too and got a pic with her, she is sooooo cute, I adore her so much.
June 05, 2015 10:19PM
Me too! I was just thinking I should post the pic I got with her, haha. I'll definitely do some searching this weekend. smiling smiley
January 20, 2016 11:17PM
Hey guys I came across this thread and read the entire thing. Some interesting points of view for sure. If I may add in my 2 cents, I think that the term "Cali Reggae" doesn't necessarily define groups only coming out of California but just the reggae/alternative rock crossover fusion in general. There is also a hip hop element in there as well. Sublime was defiantly the first group to refine this and make it accessible to a wide pop audience but they obviously built their sound off many artists predating them which a lot of you mentioned already. This is really common in music, just look at the Beatles and Led Zeppelin for example.

If you guys are down to check out another group doing the Cali Reggae sound check out RedEye Redemption, also from Long Beach, CA Cheers!

[play.spotify.com]

[redeyeredemption.bandcamp.com]
May 23, 2016 03:13PM
May 23, 2016 03:41PM
For some reason I forget to not be eating or drinking anything when I click on Zoki's posts. Oh well guess I will change my shirt now. Ah morning laughs.
May 23, 2016 03:44PM
Cali Reggae is borderline terrible with not a whole bunch of creativity or originality going on.
May 24, 2016 05:58AM
Cali Reggae is mostly a one time listen, maybe play it at a BBQ or the like, in their effort to incorporate guitars and electric sounds its often way too chaotic for me.

This is good though:

Giving thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login