Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burning Spear & EB Reggae

Posted by JImSqueech 
Burning Spear & EB Reggae
March 02, 2012 12:15PM
Saw This On Twitter..

Burning Spear ‏ @burningmusic 13 Feb

Calling all Jamaican Artist, Boycott Ernie B reggae, they are trying to get Burning Spear arrested, because he speak out against bootleg.

whats up with that??

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[kboo.fm]
[www.italvibes.blogspot.com]
[twitter.com]
jps
Re: Burning Spear & EB Reggae
March 02, 2012 01:18PM
There is a long discussion about this over on the Blood & Fire board and Ernie has actually been explaining what was going on.

Check toward the top of the page.
[www.bloodandfire.co.uk]
March 02, 2012 02:33PM

There is a long discussion about this over on the Blood & Fire board and Ernie has actually been explaining what was going on.

Check toward the top of the page.
[www.bloodandfire.co.uk]

Thank You thumbs up

[kboo.fm]
[www.italvibes.blogspot.com]
[twitter.com]
March 02, 2012 05:25PM
Ganja psychosis is a real thing.
I think spear suffers from it and has for years.

In florida once a yaardie breddrin of mine was asked by him to bring some corn, top notch corn, and he would deal with him proper for it.
obviously the breddrin went and got what he was asked to get by the livng legend..bought something wikid with his own ends.
when we went back on spear tour bus spear basically grabbed the thing from the man and told him 'thats it, now go off my bus.'

still love spear's music but always remember, though hard as it may be....the music is not the man, the man is not the music.
March 02, 2012 06:43PM
IMO The way that he or his wife is acting and carrying on and on and on FB is not helping his case at all. The whole thing is sad. Another completely inappropriate internet argument that ultimately lowers the credibility of the accuser based on the delivery.
March 02, 2012 10:17PM
Going after EBs for distributing supposed pirated works? Because an American record retailer is easier to target than some Japanese/French/South American record label? Grasping at straws if you ask me. Maybe he should concentrate on making some meaningful music again and start fresh! The rights to some of his older material are spread out all over the world and have been for decades. He may have gained the rights to all of his original full length recordings, but how many singles / greatest hits compilations were (legally) released over the years when he did not? Saddest part is EB's has tried to work it out with them...

And I totally agree papajoshua - they are not helping their case at all. Between the two of them it's like hearing Scratch and Tosh (similar unwarranted rants in the past) casting blame at the same time! Sometimes JA artists think that if they say a thing enough times to convince themselves it PROVES they are in the right.

Ganja psychosis indeed BG
March 02, 2012 10:51PM
Might be time for the old lion to just hang it up, for real.
March 03, 2012 01:59AM
Wow... this is absurd to say the least~> & sad sad smiley
Times must be really tough for the Spear... or he really is losing it...?

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
jps
March 03, 2012 02:27AM
I do really hate that situations like this happen.....one of my favorite artists of all time.
March 03, 2012 03:48AM
Maximum respect to Spear always. His music and teachings are second to none---legendary. I triple love the man... but he is in his later 60's now and, well.....sometimes people slip a little as they age....maybe that's the case now...I hope he is well and reasoning out the facts. more strength and overstanding

Bless the Big General and teacher, Winston Rodney.
March 03, 2012 04:03AM
It would be pretty ironic if he was trying to tell the truth and people (on this forum) are calling him insane, old, psycho, etc. Anybody know him personally on a friend-to-friend basis? Probably not.

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 04:04AM by J_72.
March 03, 2012 10:33AM
BUMP..

jps
I do really hate that situations like this happen.....one of my favorite artists of all time.
March 03, 2012 11:59AM
THANKS EVERY ONE AND BIG UP HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME
March 03, 2012 03:32PM
J_72
It would be pretty ironic if he was trying to tell the truth and people (on this forum) are calling him insane, old, psycho, etc. Anybody know him personally on a friend-to-friend basis? Probably not.

Peace

I'm extremely sympathetic to Mr. Rodney; from Coxone to the ruinous run-in he had with Mega-Force Distribution. But Ernie B has no place in his condemnation of the music industry. None. What a sad situation...but we live now in a world where the video-gaming industry towers over the remains of corporate music biz. . :Let's be honest----that's where the money is these days, not music!

Here is an artist that has become supremely dissatisfied by his options in regards to being paid for his large catalog of works. He's angry, frustrated, and is now blaming everyone----I get it, although I see him 'cutting his nose to spite his face', and feel he's a victim of both his own bitterness as well as anyone that has taken advantage of him during his career.

I'm now reminded of every defender of file-sharing over the years on this forum, who has bragged over how extensive their downloaded library of music. Music should be free was the mantra....well, Rodney is now in a self-imposed state of exile, brought to a state of frustration by (what is left of) the music industry. An industry(ESPECIALLY IN JA) with a history of short-changing artists, an industry that by the 90s had seen some hard-won, international legal precedents & judgements, which favored the artist against those contracts signed 20-40 or more years ago: unfortunately, this happened just as the interent began to gut those companies.

Very very sad. As many here, my love of his music and desire for Winston & Sonia to thrive and prosper goes without question,but the reality of the elephant burial ground that is the music business means he will never receive what he feels is his due. For example, Rodney may rail against Chris Blackwell all he wishes, but those Jack Ruby-produced recordings passed from his control years ago, and the corporate entity which holds them(the UNI Corporation) will see little reason to re-release those epochal sides, especially when the law-suits fly and the ground beneath UNI's feet would tell what is left of their management, 'why bother??'

Guess his fans need to look for used copies of those LPs, while showing that modern example of love for a recording artist: go on-line, and download whatever you find for free: 'Two tears in a bucket, mother-f*** it.', as the saying goes....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 03:45PM by papa ray.
March 03, 2012 11:01PM
Papa Ray, I don't always like the reality of what you say but I think you hit the nail on the head. In the long run Spear would benefit if he could manage to work with Ernie B. There aren't many better outlets for his music.
sad smileyRe: Burning Spear & EB Reggae
March 04, 2012 12:02AM
ScottiB
Papa Ray, I don't always like the reality of what you say but I think you hit the nail on the head.

You think I like 'the reality of what I say' in these matters??

Wish it was otherwise----When it comes to my tiny postage-stamp label, I can think of packages of material I'd like to put out(& of course arrange a royalty payment for artist---or surviving kin), but why bother when you have a world-view to go with that reality which essentially says

WHO pays MONEY for the music they want any more???

All things considered, I'm surprised more artists of Rodney's generation (regardless of music genre) haven't been given to this level of reaction & public anger, when it comes to their body of recorded works....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2012 12:10AM by papa ray.
March 04, 2012 04:49AM
Papa Ray, I know you don't like the way things are, I didn't mean to imply that. I don't like it either.
I have many musician friends who I would love to see make a better living, and most of them can't survive on music alone.

"WHO pays MONEY for the music they want any more??? "

Guess I've been doin it all wrong, I buy a minimum of three or four things a week, vinyl, CDs and downloads and then try to go out for live music at least twice a week. Tonight was our third in a row and we're goin' out again tomorrow. All reggae BTW.

Hope to catch up to you in a couple of weeks, we're driving over to see the Diamonds on the 17th. You know I can't got to STL without stoppin' by your place!!
March 04, 2012 04:28PM
PM me so we can plan a link and have a mellow night, Scotti!
March 05, 2012 09:02AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 09:03AM by miguel.
March 05, 2012 09:02PM
ladyann
THANKS EVERY ONE AND BIG UP HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

uh, what does this have to do with anything?
March 08, 2012 07:55PM
By now, most people are aware of the fact the record business has been facing some challenges and cd sales have declined considerably since their peak in the late 90's.

If you read that BAF thread - incredibly, the allegation is that Ernie B is allegedly somehow clandestinely manufacturing and distributing hundreds of thousands of counterfeit Spear cds (!).

That doesn't seem too likely to me.

It seems that Spear and his team might have concluded that the reason for their ( I assume ) disappointing cd sales is not the downturn everyone is facing, but (in their opinion) a counterfeiting operation.

I hope Spear doesn't quit performing & releasing music as that'd be a loss to the music World.

I've been a fan of Spear for 30 years!

Some of the most classic & greatest roots reggae ever made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 07:56PM by FLEXIMIX.
March 11, 2012 08:23AM
Um......Ernie B has his name on many successful and crucial re-releases (bottom right corner of the back)
Ernie B is a straight warrior for reggae music......if Spear don't know that its to his own detriment plain and simple

March 14, 2012 02:24AM
to scottiB and paparay, i still purchase my music. downloads don't do much for me but my sound is strictly vinyl and will forever be. cds, mp3's, wavs....just don't do it for me. i like the way wax smells. i like the way the cover feels. i like the sound of a snap-crackle-pop when i play a tune. aside from that, i flew to miami to catch that festival. t. riley, capleton and cocoT were amazing btw and that bobo soundcrew was crucial. you cant tell by the video that miguel posted but spears set was seriously only like 30-45 min tops and wale opened. for those of you reggae fans who don't know who WALE is, google it and don't ask me why he was on the bill. i was a fan of the first stuff he put out but still not sure why he was on the 9mile bill although miami DID eat it up, i cant lie.
spears set was...well, it was burning spear. thats all i should have to say.

most people do what they do but i definitely still put up my funds to fly around and out of the country for my reggae and i will never stop buying vinyl and supporting my artists and the craft and concept of vinyl sound.

with that said, spear is def getting older and as fresh as he seemed on that stage, the body is not always a reflection of the mind. i still continue to support EB thru and thru. you'll never know what a man realy thinks or what he does behind closed doors, this is something that is hopefully worked out between two people that both have contributed greatly to reggae music and history.
March 14, 2012 04:40AM
March 14, 2012 04:43AM
March 14, 2012 04:29PM
this is all so sad 'cuz I (we) may never see Burning Spear live again and he won't have the opportunity to play at Boonville.
May 05, 2012 12:16AM
IT HAVE TO DO WITH ME SAYING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME HAHAHA
May 05, 2012 12:45AM
mulligan
this is all so sad 'cuz I (we) may never see Burning Spear live again and he won't have the opportunity to play at Boonville.

I dont know... You would think that if his record sales wernt doing that well the ideal ($$$$ making) thing to do is Tour~> Rite?
He's a pretty strong ol' Lion Still~> even though his thought process might be a "little off" in regards to the thing with EB Reggae. Hopefuly the thing will sort out!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
May 08, 2012 10:28PM
I am still driving 12 plus hours to see him Santa Rosa on June 9th. May be my last chance to see one of my all time favs. I love Winston Rodney and am going to forget all the garbage going on and enjoy his music one last time. I just hope he plays longer than an hour.
May 09, 2012 06:01PM
The last time I saw the 'Spear live was at Rebel Salute in 07. It was somewhere around 3-4 in the morning and the majority of Jamaicans showed there love & respect for what they call "Foundation" by promptly laying/sitting down to take a nap. They did'nt care much about Third World or Inner Circle either and were seriously pissed (as was I) when Turbulence got bumped for Gregory Isaacs at 6 in the morning. I am still a fan and will also make the drive to Sonoma.

"When it comes to progress, you are either the steamroller or the road"
May 12, 2012 09:13AM
Spear Burning at Red Rocks Aug. 25th 2012. Always 1.5 hours plus on The Rock. This legend will only burn so long.
Traveling 10 hours to show respect to a true gift to reggae music. Enjoy the show and forget about the drama and BS.
Calling Rastafari...

Peace Love and Harmony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login