February 12, 2010 07:40PM
does Shabba still do stage shows?
Re: SHABBA RANKS
February 12, 2010 08:49PM
yes - he has re-emerged.

but he charges $85,000 US per show.
February 12, 2010 09:00PM
Thus the amount of Shabba shows available to go see! I wouldnt buy Shabba(literally) for 85 g's!!!!

~HIGHEST HEIGHTZ EVERY TIME~
BMC
February 12, 2010 09:13PM
Saw him perform in Amsterdam couple of months back, wicked show! Hit after hit, big artist!
February 12, 2010 09:43PM
i think shabba ranks was and probably still is a great artist. he just got on the wrong side of the gay issue and a lot of people abandoned him in his always ill-fated quest for "crossover" appeal.

personally i would be for bringing shabba ranks to snwmf one of these years.
but probably not for 85K$

one love
jah bill
February 12, 2010 10:07PM
Shabba did a show in LA in summer 08, festival with him, Warrior King, Baby Cham, Junior Reid, Lady Saw and a few others. Put on an excellent show to a mostly west indian crowd that night, in my opinion did the best show of the night.

Also, I think the 85g per show is an internet rumour. He got paid something ilke 60,000 in one of the carribean islands not too long ago, but obviously doesn't mean he's getting that for every show. I've seen artists get paid $30,000 for festivals and play a club the next night for a cut of the gate - so no artist really has one set price, just whatever they can negotiate

Post Edited (02-12-10 14:08)

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
February 12, 2010 10:12PM
Dude we could pry get the whole Wayans family for $85,000!!!

February 12, 2010 10:18PM
Dude we could pry get the whole Wayans family for $85,000!!!

February 12, 2010 10:20PM
OT but funny stuff

It's a scrategy!!! My teefeses!!!

February 12, 2010 10:42PM
yow Ras James! not a rumor! factual actual.

also, he got 60,000 pounds for those europe shows.

moms had to help w/ the rider and contract.....rider included request for 20 rooms for his 20 person entourage, a rolls royce, finest food/hotels on island.

sidenote: he performed less than an hour....in the rain.
February 12, 2010 10:46PM
All that for 50 minutes? Are you sure he wasn't a deity paid for making it rain?

February 12, 2010 11:05PM
Nice deal he got then. But I can almost guarantee he'd still take less, but if some rich promoter's willing to shell out 85,000 for Shabba, all the more power to him for being able to get it.

He did get the nicest rooms at the hotel the year we all did that fest in LA, big upstairs suites.

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
February 12, 2010 11:14PM
funny you mention that because the promoter was Tempo channel in this case..and they went to the VI govt for a loan to help pay for the Shabba xpenses....and got it.
February 13, 2010 11:10AM
shabba is the G.O.A.T.!
February 13, 2010 11:41AM
Fwiw - I rate Shabba as one of JA's greatest DJ talents ever for his skills & delivery...

I saw him interviewed recently & he said something to the effect of part of the silence on the career being due to concentrating on his family & now that his kids were bigger and off at college etc he was reviving his music career,,,

Fwiw I find it hard to believe S.R. would obtain such a high (alleged) fee for every single show including a club date in Amsterdam at a 1500 cap venue.

Let us not forget some JA artistes LOVE to hype up everything about themselves, especially how much they supposedly got paid for a gig or voicing session. Its a status thing, even bragging to each other when they get together in private. And of course, there's always the hope, in a form of career 'psyops', that this will establish a fantasy perceived pay scale that some crazy foreigners might actually pay them.

Post Edited (02-13-10 04:01)

www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
BMC
February 13, 2010 12:03PM
I find that figure hard to believe too, but have no insight info whatsoever to back that up with. In fairness Flexi, he did not play a club show in Amsterdam for 1500 but the Heineken Music Hall at a sold out (!!) first edition of the Amsterdam Reggae Festival (with Serani, Duane Stephenson, Jah Cure and Richie Spice on the bill too). So 1500 was more like 4000 to 5000 at €40,- each. By the time Shabba entered the stage I guess half of 'm where gone already though, but all paid to get in.

Here's his entry that evening, kicking it off with the great Get Up Stand Up & Rock. Boom!

Was just playing Shabba Ranks - Star Of The 90s on Super Power label earlier today. Strictly big tunes.
February 13, 2010 01:51PM
Whoops - sorry I just assumed the Melkweg in A'dam (!) like most gigs, that or the Paradiso.... sorry folks! But still, 85k...seems hard to envision such a large fee.

Here's the bit I believe I saw before outlining why he was out of the scene for a while focusing on family life:

Post Edited (02-13-10 05:54)

www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
February 13, 2010 02:55PM
ok ok i made it all up for internet ranks.

do i have ranks? shabba??

my dastardly plan for ranks has been dashed.

why you meddling kids.

now back to drawing board as i concoct a next plan to take the internets by storm with international tales of woe and increase my ranks!!!
BMC
February 13, 2010 03:16PM
Geez b.ghost, don't take it all so personal, relax a little. Some people just share their amazement of such a number, telling they find it hard to believe, which is something else than calling you a liar. Just how you read the words. No need to feel all insulted about it. Lord....

Post Edited (02-13-10 07:18)

Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog

Latest episode: Sweet Jamaica - A 2010 Roots & Culture Mix
February 13, 2010 03:18PM
humor was lost on you i see.
BMC
February 13, 2010 03:28PM
Must be, first line reads as someone getting irritated over a few posts of disbelieve to me, trying to turn it in a joke after. If you say so, my bad, must have misunderstood it. Humor though? ;-)

Whatever, back to relevant things:

He was there and I for one am glad someone agreed on paying that sum to bring him to Amsterdam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login